Wiring for Multiroom audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I am currenlty in the proccess of a new build and would like to wire the house for multiroom audio....

I am having ceiling mounted speakers placed in certain rooms and would like the option to play audio in these rooms from different sources, like a hifi and multimedia hard drive and radio etc etc

I am also bring Cat 6 cable to all rooms .....I had planned also to have volume controls in the rooms with speakers but I see you can now just get apps on your phone that can do this...Are these any good??

All Cat6 and speaker cables will come back to a central point in my attic....In the attic I plan to place the brains of the operation along with a router and audio amp...

I was wondering if people could give me advice on what to install and what is the best system to install....( And unfortunatly I am on a budget)

any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before......

Also what are the best systems out there ...Russsound, Nuvo, Sonas

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Liked: 12
So just to make sure you have it correctly...run your cat 5/6 wire to the volume control and keep it looped in the wall if you are only going to use volume controls and not keypads with a full fledged WHA system. Then run your speaker wire along the same path and loop at the volume control and continue to the speaker location.

Now, for the rest of your question....I am a big fan of Nuvo and plan on installing at some point in the future when funds free up a little...LoL

At this moment I am using the single source / basic volume control method by letting a receiver handle that responsibility and have a speaker selector installed next to it which all the rooms connect to. One of the major flaws with this method is that its a single source and individuals can't control what they want in individual areas. That is not a big deal for me because it is just myself and my wife and I control the tunes (kidding of course).

Anyway...also....you may want to revisit your plans about keeping the equipment in an attic....the heat up there would scare the heck out of me and I would be worried it would do damage to the equipment. I would move to a closet location or like me to the basement so temperature can be controlled better.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-04-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response..

As for the attic Dont worry I live in Ireland if anything I will have the opposite problem with it been too cold!!!! Anyway I have the attic well insualted and will have ventilation....

To be honest its the only place Im allowed put it !!!With the Nuvo systems have they got applications where I can control the volume via an phone app (android or apple) and then I would not need the wall mounted volume controls or keypads??\

Is there a Nuvo system that you wouuld reccomend
post #4 of 5 Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
+1, Don't use an unconditioned space for expensive electronics, especially with new construction and you have the opportunity to do it right.

I really like using keypads over iOS control. More efficient.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 5 Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 340
+2. Keypads are always in the same spot, and are easily accessed by guests. The right control answer, especially for a NuVo system, is "both"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page