AV distribution/4x4 HDMI Matrix/audio zones/controller advice PLEASE!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning a basement remodel. All A/V equipment is going to be placed in a back closet if possible.

Content: HD cable x 2, BluRay(disk and streaming), PC, PS3....

Recievers: 7.1 surround to HT area and Sterio reciever with speaker selecter(to 4 audio zones)

I will have the following viewing areas.

1. Projector screen - most importand as for visual quality. The only area with surround sound.

2. Plasma behind bar area -

3. Weight room

4. Basement Bedroom or maybe a run to upstairs (Both my Family room TV and MBR sitting room TV area have 2 cat5 runs to the structured wiring pannel in my basement which is where I want the basement AV equipment). Extending to upstairs may help me reduce the need for redundent HD cable and streaming devices.

Audio Zones: I would prefer for a digital selector/volume controller option (Up stairs I have in wall volume dials at select locations and could do this if I needed to simplify)
Any advice on speaker selector volume controller IR controlled?

Stereo Zones
Bar, Poot table area, Wt room, Basement Bed room

I was planning to use a HDMI 4x4 matrix to provide video. I see a lot of HDMI 4x4 with CAT5/6 extender options that make extending the reach of my basement A/V into the upper levels of my home a possibility.

Something like HDMI 4 Port 4x4 Matrix Switch and Splitter by cat5e cat6 with UTP PET0404E on amazon for $460

A couple of the basement runs may be a little lengthy for HDMI as well. I also understand that these extenders offer a IR repeater function(is that just for the matrix?).

My concerns.

1. Will the splitter in general or even more so the splitter extender over cat5/6 degrade the signal significantly.
2. Are there models where you can run both HDMI out and Cat5/6 extenders to different sets simultaneously. The model that I am looking at cannot.
3. If I cant use them simulateously should I run both Cat6 and HDMI runs to the projector and bar tvs as these runs are the shortest and will demand the higher picture quality. Projector and TV will have at least 2 HDMI inputs.
4. Should I use a output of the matrix as a HDMI in on my HT reciever and maintain a dedicated BLURAY and HD box for that reciever for max HT quallity. Or will I not notice a decrease in quality. If I need to I will but that will negate some of the advantage of the matrix.
5. Controller solutions - originally I was planning on using IR repeater systems in series combined with a harmony remote. Not sure how hard it will be to control multiple sets in multiple rooms from shared av equipment.

Any alternative controller solutions

I am leaning on setting up the lighting with Insteon/ISY994I and have a dedicated iPad for control. I have my head wrapped around that but im not sure if I can tie that into my AV or just keep it seperate? Maybe a seperate app but still use the iPAD for controller.

I know this is a lot but im hoping that someone with some practicle experience could lend some advise.

Thanks

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

another 4x4 HDMI matrix product for $302.85

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2
post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmithpharmd View Post

another 4x4 HDMI matrix product for $302.85
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

I heard this unit won't support "dual band IR" meaning if you have DISH network for example, the IR won't work through the Monoprice HDMI matrix.

AI Limited
post #4 of 13 Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 PM

The only 2 that pass dual band IR I know is Octava 4x4 HDMI Matrix over CAT
and Snap AV's
post #5 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

I suppose you could use RF or a different IR routing mechanism.

AI Limited
post #6 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited View Post

I heard this unit won't support "dual band IR" meaning if you have DISH network for example, the IR won't work through the Monoprice HDMI matrix.

I have this unit, and can confirm this is correct. It will not pass IR to my Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR.

I can also confirm that this unit is not reliable in syncing up with multiple destination units even if they are all compatible in EDID capabilities. You can get around this by cycling the power on the matrix when once or more device is powered up and things don't sync, but that is a pain in the rear. Monoprice is no help on support regarding this. I can live with this until better units come down in price, because once everything is sync'd up, it all works, but you should look elsewhere if you want reliable operation when syncing up.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsmithpharmd View Post

I am planning a basement remodel. All A/V equipment is going to be placed in a back closet if possible.
2. Are there models where you can run both HDMI out and Cat5/6 extenders to different sets simultaneously. The model that I am looking at cannot.

I confirmed the monoprice one does not do this either.

Someone in my thread mentioned this:

"What about a 4x4 matrix like the Binary one from SnapAV? It has simultaneous HDMI and single CAT6 outputs. Receivers are sold separately, but it could be a good solution."

But being a dealer item I felt like it would be too costly.Pricing is not readily available.

Because of HDCP issues, flickering, etc. I am leaning towards keeping my theater completely seperate with HDMI, and then using a component switch to distribute video to less critical displays such as the gameroom, playroom, etc.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

too bad the Gefen doesn't output over cat6

AI Limited
post #9 of 13 Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticbear84 View Post

and Snap AV's

It would be nice if the price point for a working matrix came somewhere between a 4x4 Monoprice with issues at $300 and a Atlona's 4x4 at $3k. I need a 4x8 with fast switching, CAT6 extension, ideally HDBaseT, that works and is closer to $1500!

AI Limited
post #10 of 13 Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticbear84 View Post

and Snap AV's
I use SnapAV's 4x4 and it works very nicely. Pretty fast switching and no problems with the same input sent to multiple displays. Never any syncing problems so far. Upsides include bidirectional IR and the extenders only use a single Cat6. The only real downside is the IR system does not do routing. You have an output from each room connected via Cat6, but no way to control where that goes...you just get everything from the room on the same port regardless of the input/output config. For me it's no big deal because none of my gear has overlapping IR codes so I just send everything to everything. (For what it's worth, that Octava does do routing like the monoprice one.) As for dual band, I can confirm the SnapAV has handled all of my signals (including directv) without any issues at all.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-31-2012, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Vyrolan, mind if I ask where you got the SnapAV? I've been considering them, but can't find them for sale. It seems it's distributor pricing.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Meili View Post

Vyrolan, mind if I ask where you got the SnapAV? I've been considering them, but can't find them for sale. It seems it's distributor pricing.
Mine was from distributor. I'm in Chicago and worked with Abt Electronics. I really like the switch...pretty fast switches and no syncing issues...the only downside is the lack of IR routing if you need that (fortunately I don't).
post #13 of 13 Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the Info you guys have provided, I just finished framing the basement and i am now ready to finish planning my A/V gear.

I was planning on controlling my deviced through I Rule with I tach blasters from globalcache. So I dont think that the IR functionality of the HDMI matrix will be a issue. I would hower be disapointed to have syncing issues requiring me to cycle power on the unit.

So is there any current best option for the following,

4x4 matrix that works well with little syncing issues and outputs over cat 6, again i dont think the IR issues will be a problem for me as I will not be using them.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page