I am planning a basement remodel. All A/V equipment is going to be placed in a back closet if possible.
Content: HD cable x 2, BluRay(disk and streaming), PC, PS3....
Recievers: 7.1 surround to HT area and Sterio reciever with speaker selecter(to 4 audio zones)
I will have the following viewing areas.
1. Projector screen - most importand as for visual quality. The only area with surround sound.
2. Plasma behind bar area -
3. Weight room
4. Basement Bedroom or maybe a run to upstairs (Both my Family room TV and MBR sitting room TV area have 2 cat5 runs to the structured wiring pannel in my basement which is where I want the basement AV equipment). Extending to upstairs may help me reduce the need for redundent HD cable and streaming devices.
Audio Zones: I would prefer for a digital selector/volume controller option (Up stairs I have in wall volume dials at select locations and could do this if I needed to simplify)
Any advice on speaker selector volume controller IR controlled?
Bar, Poot table area, Wt room, Basement Bed room
I was planning to use a HDMI 4x4 matrix to provide video. I see a lot of HDMI 4x4 with CAT5/6 extender options that make extending the reach of my basement A/V into the upper levels of my home a possibility.
Something like HDMI 4 Port 4x4 Matrix Switch and Splitter by cat5e cat6 with UTP PET0404E on amazon for $460
A couple of the basement runs may be a little lengthy for HDMI as well. I also understand that these extenders offer a IR repeater function(is that just for the matrix?).
1. Will the splitter in general or even more so the splitter extender over cat5/6 degrade the signal significantly.
2. Are there models where you can run both HDMI out and Cat5/6 extenders to different sets simultaneously. The model that I am looking at cannot.
3. If I cant use them simulateously should I run both Cat6 and HDMI runs to the projector and bar tvs as these runs are the shortest and will demand the higher picture quality. Projector and TV will have at least 2 HDMI inputs.
4. Should I use a output of the matrix as a HDMI in on my HT reciever and maintain a dedicated BLURAY and HD box for that reciever for max HT quallity. Or will I not notice a decrease in quality. If I need to I will but that will negate some of the advantage of the matrix.
5. Controller solutions - originally I was planning on using IR repeater systems in series combined with a harmony remote. Not sure how hard it will be to control multiple sets in multiple rooms from shared av equipment.
Any alternative controller solutions
I am leaning on setting up the lighting with Insteon/ISY994I and have a dedicated iPad for control. I have my head wrapped around that but im not sure if I can tie that into my AV or just keep it seperate? Maybe a seperate app but still use the iPAD for controller.
I know this is a lot but im hoping that someone with some practicle experience could lend some advise.