How to wire audio from TV to receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi,
I'm getting a new 55" TV and it has an optical digital audio output. I have Comcast cable with their HD DVR box, and it has a digital audio output as well. What is the best way to wire the sound of my TV to my receiver? Should I take the audio from the TV to the receiver from it's optical line, or should I take the audio from the cable box to the receiver? If I take it from the TV to the receiver...then will the volume go up/down with the commands from the regular TV remote as if I was turning the TV speakers up/down? That would be nice so that I don't have to use the receiver remote for the sound and the TV remote for changing channels, etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels_32 View Post

Hi,
I'm getting a new 55" TV and it has an optical digital audio output. I have Comcast cable with their HD DVR box, and it has a digital audio output as well. What is the best way to wire the sound of my TV to my receiver? Should I take the audio from the TV to the receiver from it's optical line, or should I take the audio from the cable box to the receiver?

If you're receiver has HDMI inputs, you can run HDMI from the cable box to the receiver, then HDMI from the receiver's "monitor out" to the TV. The receiver will take the audio from the HDMI input and pass the video on to the TV.

You can also use an optical cable from the TV back to the receiver and get a digital signal version of everything the TV gets fed into the AVR.

No huge advantage either way, except there are some advantages to running everything to the AVR and using that as the "hub" of your system rather than the TV.
Quote:

If I take it from the TV to the receiver...then will the volume go up/down with the commands from the regular TV remote as if I was turning the TV speakers up/down?

No. The optical outputs have no volume control on them, they assume a receiver will be next and have volume control
Quote:

That would be nice so that I don't have to use the receiver remote for the sound and the TV remote for changing channels, etc.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

I believe the Comcast remote can be programmed to control both the Comcast box and another device or two.

IMHO, volume control is always best done at the receiver.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thank you so much for your response! The trouble is, my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2600) does not pass 1080p....it is just a bit too old. So I don't want to run the video signals to the Yamaha receiver...I want to run the video signals direct from the Comcast box, and the blu-ray player to the TV to get the best video signals (at least that is what has been recommended to me). I'm a technical person in general, but I'm new to this arena, so I'm trying hard to learn! I have a nice opportunity of getting a new TV and entertainment center so that I can pull everything out and make it the best it can be! smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

Thank you so much for your response! The trouble is, my receiver (Yamaha RX-V2600) does not pass 1080p....it is just a bit too old. So I don't want to run the video signals to the Yamaha receiver...I want to run the video signals direct from the Comcast box, and the blu-ray player to the TV to get the best video signals (at least that is what has been recommended to me).

Yes, that's the correct way to do it given your receiver's capabilities. If you buy a new TV you *may* be able to run one digital (optical) output from the TV to the receiver, but that will depend on the TV's ability to route audio from HDMI sources (whether it would produce output on that jack or not).

You'll have to control volume with the receiver, and turn the TV's speakers down or off. Best handled with any decent universal remote (Harmony or similar).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page