composite video over coax - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like to send composite video (no audio) from basement to another room in the house over an existing RG6 coax cable in the house. I am not trying to send audio, since it's only video, can I do following?

source Composite OUT --> RCA-to-F connector <--existing coax--> F connector-to-RCA ---> TV composite IN ?

Basically I am trying to use my existing coax wire to send video from my security system DVR unit to a room. I tried above but I get no signal, what am I missing? I am thinking modulation is not necessary since I don't care about audio.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Yep, that should work. As long as your using a composite input on the TV, not an RF input expecting a modulated signal.

Is the coax line "dedicated" to that run - meaning it's not going through splitters or otherwise carrying CATV service?

Might try it with a TV in the same room just to make sure you're sending a signal at all from the camera.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep, that should work. As long as your using a composite input on the TV, not an RF input expecting a modulated signal.
Is the coax line "dedicated" to that run - meaning it's not going through splitters or otherwise carrying CATV service?
Might try it with a TV in the same room just to make sure you're sending a signal at all from the camera.
Jeff

Thanks. Actually if I hook up a good old RCA cable from DVR to a TV, it works fine. But when I use the Fconnector-to-RCA adapters on each end, I get no signal to the same TV. Another thing was going to try was cut off the coax connectors on each end and connect RCA connectors and see if that work.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I think you need to find the splitter and bypass it. It seems unusual to have a line run uninterrupted from one room to another. Most in place Coax goes back to a common point.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Actually all coax wires from all rooms are coming to a central wiring panel but I am not going through any distribution module, etc. Last night, I did a little test where I used F-connector-to-RCA adapter to both ends of a 6ft coax cable and used that to connect DVR's composite monitor output to a TV's RCA input. It worked fine, so I confirmed that I can use coax to carry composite video.

Then, I connected same F-connector-to-RCA adapters to the coax cable going to a room on 2nd floor (about 40-50ft length) and hooked up to DVR's monitor out and same TV, no signal !

I believe coax is fine because I tried sending Dish Network signal over it and it works fine. Could length be an issue?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Most security DVRs use a BNC connector for ALL video connections. The only RCA connectors are for audio.

I run one of my cameras from the camera to my cabling center in my basement, to a closet upstairs, then from that closet to the room where my DVR is, all on existing cabling, with no issues.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
See post #4.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Could length be an issue?

No.

Composite video is meant to be transmitted over 75 Ohm coax cable...you've confirmed what the designers intended.

As mentioned, chances are there's some device in line that is not allowing the base band signal through. You can easily confirm this with a multimeter.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I think you need to find the splitter and bypass it. It seems unusual to have a line run uninterrupted from one room to another. Most in place Coax goes back to a common point.
Splitters that go down to 5Meg will still pass part of a baseband video signal. It's a rather messed up picture, as I think sync isn't all there, but there is a picture.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard View Post

See post #4.
See post #5.