Single Dish Receiver Distribute Signal to Multiple Rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked - I could only find threads that did not match my exact situation. In short, I want to have one satellite receiver broadcast the signal to other rooms in the house. These other rooms do not need to control the receiver - just be able to see what is playing.

The house was recently built and we had the builder run a home network system for data, video and phone. They used a structured wiring system with all cables terminating in a large storage closet where we installed a Leviton media box. We have 2 RG6 source wires coming in from outside the house - 1 for internet broadband and 1 for satellite TV.

We ran 2 RG6 cables to two rooms - the Bonus Room and Master Bedroom, and 1 RG6 cable to the guest and kid's bedrooms. (All are quad shield.) We are getting ready to have the satellite (Dish Network) installed and aren't sure how to do the wiring so the video signal goes to all rooms. (see attached diagram image)

Our original thought was to connect the incoming satellite signal to an amplifier and from there to a switch, sending the signal into each room. Then, we could hook up the receiver in the bonus room or the master bedroom. With the 2nd RG6 cable in these two rooms, we wanted to send the signal back out so that the other rooms could watch whatever channel the receiver was playing. Will this work or do I need a modulator or multi-switch? If I need one of these, do I hook it up in the control room or where the receiver is? I think I am making this more complicated than it is, but I want to make sure it works.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
If the Dish receiver has an RF output (modulated onto channel 3/4), which I think some of their models have (or had?), then yes, you can redistribute a standard-def image over coax to be picked up by other TVs in the house, assuming you have a free coax from the receiver location back to your control center so it can be re-distributed from there.

If the receiver doesn't have an RF modulated output, you can create one with simple modulator. For Dish, the receivers to look at are the ones that had a 2nd room support - in which case you'd just have essentially 3 "2nd rooms"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I presume you have found your answer, but if not we have 4 tvs throughout the house, We have a dual tuner DISH VIP622 in the basement and then through a series of splitters we run both tuners over a single coax out to each TV. We use RF remotes to control receiver in the basement and it works very well. Though the caveat is that the output over Coax is SD.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page