Connecting two receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-17-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
n00b question here:

What's the best way to connect two receivers that are one floor apart? Ideally, I'd like to play something on one receiver and have the upstairs receiver play the same thing in sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
More info would be helpful (model #s of the receivers, what types of sources are you using--analog or digital, what are you using for control), but the simplest way is to run analog audio out of the TAPE or MD/CD-R outputs of the first receiver into any analog input of the second receiver.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- I was thinking the same thing and actually saw some 35 foot RCA cables on monoprice that were really cheap. I wasn't sure if such a weak signal would travel 30 - 50 feet between receivers.

Here's my solution. I thought I'd post this in case anyone else wants to have whole-house audio without running any more wires.

Background: I want whole house audio. I have a receiver in my basement that powers six speakers throughout the basement bar & media room. I have a second receiver in my living room that powers speakers in a living + family room. I have a third receiver in my garage that powers speakers in the garage and patio area. I have a computer in my kitchen with standard speakers.

Goal: Play an audio source from the main kitchen computer that would be able to stream wirelessly throughout the house to all three major audio receivers. The audio source shouldn't be reliant upon one computer program (iTunes).

Problem: Parts of my house do not get adequate WiFi signal.

The Solution: I found a program called Airfoil for $25. Airfoil will hijack any audio stream on your computer, whether it's iTunes, Winamp, Spotify, or a Chrome window playing YouTube. Airfoil will stream this via DLNA to any PC loaded with that software, to an iPod or iPhone device, or an Airplay device like the Airport Express.

Implementation: I needed three devices to receive audio from the main computer. I used my old iPhone 3G and my iPod touch 4th gen. I purchased a used Airport Express that I connected directly via ethernet cable to my main Uverse 2Wire router that sits next to my computer. The living room and basement receivers were too far away from the router to get a consistent streaming signal, so I needed to set up the Airport Express as a wireless access point that would basically extend the range of my network. Airfoil would stream audio to the basement via ethernet to the AE, and the AE would in turn rebroadcast that signal to the living room receiver just one floor above it. The trick was all in the router setup. The AE (or second router) needed to be in bridge mode where DHCP was disabled, it needed a static IP, and it needed to have a different channel than my main router. The SSID and passwords were the same on both routers. The key is that when a device turns to the second router because the signal is stronger, it still gets routed to the first router for all communications. It is important for Airfoil be able to see all the devices on the network to stream to them.

Hope this helps someone else looking to do something similiar. The only wire I used was a pre-existing ethernet cable, and now I have whole house audio for only the cost of the program and one Airport Express.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Not to hijack the thread but your original post is exactly what I'm looking to do, but your solution is a bit more specific and not really what I'm looking for. I have a "primary" system with 4 zones (using a Yamaha A3010) and a secondary system (using a Yamaha RX-V3??). I use 3 of the 4 zones for whole house audio and I love it. The 4th zone on the 3010 is digitical optical. Ideally I would run a long optical cord from the 3010 to the RX-V3xx but a) I think it would be too long and b) it would be nearly impossible to fish behind the walls.

Is there anyway to do this wirelessly? Is there a transmitter/receiver-type product that can do this? I'd entertain either the digital-optical or an analog solution (the digital zone 4 is constrained to digital sources so I may prefer adding it to zone 3.)

Airfonix devices look promising but it looks like they connect direct to speakers.

Any help would be appreciated,
post #5 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Any wiring between the two locations at all? Toslink can be converted easily to a coax digital, and then can be wired via coax or using a cat5e balun.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page