post #91 of 107 Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I'll send NuVo an email couple weeks before I begin the install, right now I'm just getting the remainder of the material together and keeping an eye out for the music port deal.
You mentioned cat5e, in the manual it stated cat5 so I already purchased a 1000 ft. roll. I'll assume it's ok?

For this application it wouldn't matter, but it's very likely you got cat5e anyway. Where did you get the cable from? It would be very hard to find non "e" category cable on the market...

(and there's a Music Port up on eBay this morning)
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I would again like to emphasize the purchase of the MPS4/E from an authorized dealer.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #93 of 107 Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I replaced the starter in a friends acura and he gave me a whole roll (1000 ft) box of cat5 cable that he said was old stock. So in reality I didn't purchase it...........sort of a favor for a favor as no money was exchanged and I have no problem with that, I just hope the GC manual is correct in specing cat5..

As for the music port I noticed a couple of the MPS4 as well as the elite ranging in price from $2100.00 to $2650.00. I had forgotten I placed a low bid for a nuvo nv-m3 (ends in 2 days) since I'd rather have the MPS4 series, but I'll have to wait till the NV-M3 auction ends before I continue the search. I don't believe I'll win the NV-M3 auction, but it's worth a try. You know for the extra $550.00 on the elite, I wonder whether it's worth the extra 320 GB capacity. Hmmmmm. either way, I'll have to wait. .

Thanks for the heads up on the Ebay listings, it helps when there are another pair of eyes.

EDIT:

I just noticed Neurorad's suggestion which is a valid point.
post #94 of 107 Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I replaced the starter in a friends acura and he gave me a whole roll (1000 ft) box of cat5 cable that he said was old stock. So in reality I didn't purchase it...........sort of a favor for a favor as no money was exchanged and I have no problem with that, I just hope the GC manual is correct in specing cat5..

The GC is running RS485 at a rate of 56k baud over that cable - the minor "tightening" of the specs between cat5 and cat5e will make zero difference to it. For future keypads, it's not likely you'd ever need gigabit ethernet (which should still work anyway), but that would be the only concern.
Quote:
As for the music port I noticed a couple of the MPS4 as well as the elite ranging in price from $2100.00 to $2650.00. I had forgotten I placed a low bid for a nuvo nv-m3 (ends in 2 days) since I'd rather have the MPS4 series, but I'll have to wait till the NV-M3 auction ends before I continue the search. I don't believe I'll win the NV-M3 auction, but it's worth a try. You know for the extra $550.00 on the elite, I wonder whether it's worth the extra 320 GB capacity. Hmmmmm. either way, I'll have to wait. .

I wouldn't recommend the M3 - it's only an MP3 player, no Internet access/streaming. I suppose if you get one cheap, certainly nothing wrong with that!
Quote:
I just noticed Neurorad's suggestion which is a valid point.

I agree with him - but in the case I mentioned, it's the original MusicPort - which is an adapter and the Autonomic Mirage software. You bring your own PC / server to the system. No real hardware / warranty / support concerns as compared to the MPS4. So no reason to get it new from a dealer. It's also a discontinued product and can be a bit of a hassle, but if you can pick it up for a few hundred bucks, a lot easier to swallow...

Jeff
My Dream likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #95 of 107 Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The GC is running RS485 at a rate of 56k baud over that cable - the minor "tightening" of the specs between cat5 and cat5e will make zero difference to it. For future keypads, it's not likely you'd ever need gigabit ethernet (which should still work anyway), but that would be the only concern. Jeff
Thank Jeff, then I guess I have enough Cat5 cable.
Quote:

I wouldn't recommend the M3 - it's only an MP3 player, no Internet access/streaming. Jeff
Since I didn't win the bid on the M3 I'll keep that in mind and look for a deal on the MPS4 or Elite

I know that most NuVo owners don't really like to split zones but for now I'd like to split three of the zones since I know I won't be listening to both areas at once and add extra load on the amp.

1) Master bedroom/ensuite bathroom
2) Kitchen / backyard
3) Living room / garage

Therefore anyone have any concerns about these speakers selector they switch speakers from A to B both don't allow both to be on at once? Price around $55.00 each plus shipping

The Audioplex AB-1 allows switching between two audio sources going to a single pair of speakers, or a single source going between two pairs of speakers. With load handling up to 900W maximum, the AB-1 mounts in a single gang box or ring. This version is white in colour in Decora styling.

This one does allow for both sets of speakers to work but I'd prefer not to, although it's an option . Price is around $140.00 each plus shipping.

The audioplex INW-2 is a 2 zone inwall speaker selector on a single decora wallplate featuring Audioplex's impedance matching autoformers that will protect your amplifier from overloading.
post #96 of 107 Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know that most NuVo owners don't really like to split zones but for now I'd like to split three of the zones since I know I won't be listening to both areas at once and add extra load on the amp.

Areas that aren't being used don't add load to the amp...

We don't like combining rooms *permanently* into a single zone by not doing the wiring correctly. If you home run all the wires so that every room *can* be it's own zone, nothing wrong with combining rooms to fit into a system. I've combined two spare bedrooms into a single zone, but did so back in at the rack, so that if and when I need to, I can expand the system and each room becomes it's own zone (I already have keypads in place in both, assigned to the same zone).
Quote:
1) Master bedroom/ensuite bathroom
2) Kitchen / backyard
3) Living room / garage

When you started you only had 6 zones total - has that changed? If you've only got six, no reason to split them up as the system supports six out of the box...
Quote:
Therefore anyone have any concerns about these speakers selector they switch speakers from A to B both don't allow both to be on at once? Price around $55.00 each plus shipping

Where are you going to place that? You'll want to have it in one of the two zone locations, but I wouldn't want to create a separate wall plate for it. My suggestion would be to place it in the "less used" zone as the keypad (use a single-gang ring but make sure the location can be enlarged to a double-gang plate for a future GC keypad), then run a 4-conductor speaker wire between the keypad locations in the two rooms. You'll then use the home-run speaker wire for the "less-used" zone, and make connections at both keypad locations for the switch and both pairs of speakers. The home-run speaker wire in the other (more-used) zone will be idle for now. But in the future if you want to break the rooms into their own zones, you simply change the splices and abandon the 'traveller'...
Quote:
This one does allow for both sets of speakers to work but I'd prefer not to, although it's an option . Price is around $140.00 each plus shipping.

At that price you've exceeded the cost of an inexpensive zone amp to just power the extra zones and be done...

Jeff
My Dream likes this.

post #97 of 107 Old 02-17-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

This is the way I was going to set it up;

Zone 1) Master bathroom ensuite (keypad)/ speaker selector in master bedroom to switch between ensuite & master bedroom.
Zone 2) Main bathroom upstairs (keypad)
Zone 3) Study (keypad)
Zone 4) Kitchen (keypad) /speaker selector in kitchen to switch between kitchen &backyard.
Zone 5) Family room (keypad)
Zone 6) Living room (keypad)/ speaker selector to switch between living room and garage.

I will however rough in home run wiring to eventually switch the speaker selector by enlarging the opening and in future add a keypad with an additional amp. In other words do as you say, “use a single-gang ring but make sure the location can be enlarged to a double-gang plate for a future GC keypad), then run a 4-conductor speaker wire between the keypad locations in the two rooms If I were to purchase the extra amp for say zone 7 & 8, each keypad and amp would add at least $400.00 per zone where as the speaker selector is only $40.00. Also I can only add two more zones before I need to purchase the expander kit.

When you said “I've combined two spare bedrooms into a single zone” do both sets of speakers play at once or did you add a speaker selector?
post #98 of 107 Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will however rough in home run wiring to eventually switch the speaker selector by enlarging the opening and in future add a keypad with an additional amp. In other words do as you say, “use a single-gang ring but make sure the location can be enlarged to a double-gang plate for a future GC keypad), then run a 4-conductor speaker wire between the keypad locations in the two rooms

Based on your room combinations above, you might make things easier by just using a volume control, or the selector switch you picked, as a simple on/off for the less-used zone. Meaning, if you don't mind sound on in the 'main room' of each zone (which is where the keypad is) at the same time the less-used room, no need to switch. If that works, just install the A/B switch in the keypad location of the less-used room, with a no-connect on the B-side. Home run the wiring and make sure you use 8-ohm speakers (the NuVo amps are 4-ohm capable).
Quote:
When you said “I've combined two spare bedrooms into a single zone” do both sets of speakers play at once or did you add a speaker selector?

No selector, they both come on together and follow the same volume.
My Dream likes this.

post #99 of 107 Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have 3 external amps to get all 10 rooms powered (an AudioSource AMP-100, AMP-6.2, and a NuVo D460 Jeff
I noticed the AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier is on Amazon.com for $87.26. free shipping, would you buy it again if you were to do it over again and not go with the expander pack? Other then the price of the keypad, I think it's a good deal,
post #100 of 107 Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I noticed the AudioSource AMP-100 Stereo Power Amplifier is on Amazon.com for $87.26. free shipping, would you buy it again if you were to do it over again and not go with the expander pack? Other then the price of the keypad, I think it's a good deal,

Yes, the AMP-100 is a great value. While that's a good price for one, it's not an amazing deal - you can get them all the time for $85-100. I only have the NuVo external amp in my mix because I got it off eBay as well (for less than the cost of two AMP-100's!). All my additional keypads came from eBay sellers - I paid $100-120/each for them. They show up frequently as dealers / DIY folks finish an installation and have some left over. Getting these parts off eBay is different than buying a system or an MPS4 - all of these accessories should be considered disposable. If one breaks, you're just going to buy another one.

Jeff
My Dream likes this.

post #101 of 107 Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I only have the NuVo external amp in my mix because I got it off eBay as well (for less than the cost of two AMP-100's!). Jeff
Well then, I'll hold off on the AMP-100.

Wow, that's an amazing deal on the NuVo externals, I guess I'll wait and keep an eye out for an external amp. Mind you there are several to choose from, including the D-2120, P2100, D460, WA40 wall mount, NV-A4, LSA40PDS.
post #102 of 107 Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that's an amazing deal on the NuVo externals, I guess I'll wait and keep an eye out for an external amp. Mind you there are several to choose from, including the D-2120, P2100, D460, WA40 wall mount, NV-A4, LSA40PDS.

Yep, it was! biggrin.gif Still don't know why that one sold for 1/3 the 'normal' range.

Which is why I've had a saved search on eBay for NuVo gear for years... Get an email almost daily with gear showing up, so I picked up a lot of pieces while I was building and since then to expand the system (my main unit came from a local authorized dealer).
My Dream likes this.

post #103 of 107 Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

I hope I don't ever bid against you on any NuVo component, if you ever have a bid on one, let me know and I'll stay out of it.

I guess I'll also do a NuVo saved search on Ebay and I'll just have to have patience when it comes to the Music Port as well as two external amps and keypads. I would like to have 8 zones so unless an expansion pack come up at an amazing deal it looks as though I'll have to max out the remaining two zones.

I'm going to order the single Arlington LV -1 ( for speaker selector) and double LV-2 (for keypad) low voltage mounting brkts from Amazon since theyre reasonably priced. As for the speaker selectors, I found a vendor 3/4 of an hour away from me so shipping is reasonable but 3 high quality speaker selectors can add up to a couple hundred.........wooow.

Have a great weekend Jeff and Neurorad.
post #104 of 107 Old 06-26-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know this is an old thread but it is so relevant to my current situation. For the My Dream and the other guys that chimed in that were also looking for systems, what did you decide on and are you happy with your decision?

I have narrowed my options down to 6 Sonos Connects stacked in a rack with a 12 channel amp or a Russound MCA-C5 with the DMS-3.1. It comes down to two things: keypads or in-wall volume control and the app's interface between the two.

Sonos' app is definitely unparalleled but is the My Russound app good enough?

What about in-wall volume controls vs keypads? Volume controls accomplish the function I need but the keypads are so much cooler!
post #105 of 107 Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't installed my unit yet as I'm still in the process of purchasing more speakers, a music port and possibly a tuner.

Since my last post I purchased:

NuVo 2100 amp
NuVo Keypad
NuVo NV-Rips Ipod Dock.

I did however purchased the NuVo Grand Concerto since I wanted a whole home audio system that was mainly hidden and a sleek keypad did everything I wanted including volume control, metadata amoung many other features.

I'm sure others that have the system will chime in.

Good luck with your decision.
post #106 of 107 Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slorente View Post

I know this is an old thread but it is so relevant to my current situation. For the My Dream and the other guys that chimed in that were also looking for systems, what did you decide on and are you happy with your decision?

I have narrowed my options down to 6 Sonos Connects stacked in a rack with a 12 channel amp or a Russound MCA-C5 with the DMS-3.1. It comes down to two things: keypads or in-wall volume control and the app's interface between the two.

Sonos' app is definitely unparalleled but is the My Russound app good enough?

What about in-wall volume controls vs keypads? Volume controls accomplish the function I need but the keypads are so much cooler!

slorente, I have not bought my system yet either but I have figured out what I'm going to go with.

I have decided to go with Russound, building my own custom PC that will output to 4 different channels and then installing CasaTunes on it. I originally was going to install keypads in each room but as time goes on I'm thinking I will go keypad less and just use smartphones to control everything (Casatunes has an app). Casatunes integrates with the Russound system as well controlling the system and switching sources. I'm really excited about it. I bought my speakers already. Monoprice had a sale in January that basically made the shipping (100$) free. I was also thinking of integrating in an HDMI switcher with the MyroControl but with the hdmi spec changing for full 60 fps 4K I am going to pass on it as ethernet (even Cat6) isn't rated high enough for it. So I'm just going to go with a couple of XBMC boxes that sit at the location and stream my movies over the network. I may even transition to using the PVR features of XBMC which would free me of cable boxes at each tv location. And that is the shortened version of my summary.

Let me know if you need more details on specific areas as I have done a lot of research. I've also built my first XBMC machine already as well to get those nuances out of the way now rather than later.
post #107 of 107 Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM

I just want to start of with all of these systems are great but from what it sounds like is you may be better off going with a sonos system easy to setup and even easier to use and retail pricing on the connect am is $500 each one for each room coming in at $3000. That gives you more than enough money for your speakers and I would also buy a wireless AC router as it is all controller from any of these choices Apple touch device,Android,PC,and MAC. the best part is you have access to the most common streaming services and you can even airplay with your apple touch devices.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page