Help me select a good Whole Home Audio System. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 107 Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hoping fellow members can help educate me to what's available on the market as well as what's involved in the installation process to have a room to room audio system. I really don't know what's involved and I am learning as I go along. I would be doing the installation and would like to have ceiling mount speakers. Based on my wish list below I hope I can get ideas on what brand would be a good value and exactly what's involved in the installation process. Again, I'm new to this so please state layman's terms as I'm not verses on any of the terminology and I stress that highly. I'm not to concerned about speaker selection although that will be included in my budget.

Wish list.

6 rooms.
Wall mount access to playlis/ radio in the 6 rooms (one will be outdoor).
In ceiling mid quality speakers except for one pair outdoor speakers.
Be able to listen to different music in those 6 rooms without adding any external devices therefore stand alone system.
Audio only, although if budget allows, video capabilities.
Everything hidden except for keypads and possible hardwired ipod dock.
Not sure how to access music but do not want it to be with that aid of a pc, as that would need to be turned on.
Hard wired is important.

Budget $6000.00 material only.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 107 Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 373
NuVo Grand Concerto and MPS4e music server. With a bundle of speakers, very close to your budget if you DIY...

(bias: I have one...)

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 107 Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Jautor, based on what I’ve read, the NuVo Grand Concerto does suit everything on my wish list. Now let me do the math before proceeding.

NuVo NV-I8GMS Grand Concerto 6-Source 8-Zone Stereo System - $4200.00
NuVo NV-MPS4 Music Port Server Elite - $2650.00
NuVo NV-T2SIR Dual Sirius-Ready AM/FM Tuner - $735.00
NuVo NV-WMIPS-DC Wall Mount Docking Station for iPod - $500.00
Wiring - $300.00
Speakers – 1500.00

Total - $9885.00 not including tax. Is this a rough estimate and please correct me if I’m wrong as it’s about $3885.00 over my budget? I also believe my estimate maybe low on the speakers, but if I’ve got the wrong model numbers or equipment please let me know. .

Is there any way I can find it lower price and how difficult is it to install as well as set up? Is there anything you don’t like about the system and do I need someone to come in and set it whether it be program wise or otherwise.

By the way, I took a look at your home theater and it looks absolutely amazing.
post #4 of 107 Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

Thanks for the reply Jautor, based on what I’ve read, the NuVo Grand Concerto does suit everything on my wish list. Now let me do the math before proceeding.
NuVo NV-I8GMS Grand Concerto 6-Source 8-Zone Stereo System - $4200.00
NuVo NV-MPS4 Music Port Server Elite - $2650.00
NuVo NV-T2SIR Dual Sirius-Ready AM/FM Tuner - $735.00
NuVo NV-WMIPS-DC Wall Mount Docking Station for iPod - $500.00
Wiring - $300.00
Speakers – 1500.00

Do without the Sirus/AM/FM tuner - the server will stream SiriusXM and most radio stations have an Internet stream as well. The iPod dock, same question - with the music server available, will you really want to play a subset of your collection from an iPod?
Quote:
Total - $9885.00 not including tax. Is this a rough estimate and please correct me if I’m wrong as it’s about $3385.00 over my budget? I also believe my estimate maybe low on the speakers, but if I’ve got the wrong model numbers or equipment please let me know.

It probably will be over your stated budget. But it will do everything you asked. You can move to the NuVo Essentia which has the same functionality with smaller keypads and lower wattage per zone to get closer. But IMO the large keypads are what makes the system...
Quote:
Is there any way I can find it lower price and how difficult is it to install as well as set up?

Easy to install, there's a PC-based program to guide you through the minor configuration details. Contact a local dealer(s), explain that you're going to DIY the system and see what price they can offer. Exactly what I did, and was able to approach the gear pricing from non-authorized sources.
Quote:
Is there anything you don’t like about the system and do I need someone to come in and set it whether it be program wise or otherwise.

Nope, works great, easy to set up with a good manual and installation guide. Only issue I had during install was one bad connection that made all the keypads unresponsive (they are bus-connected), so I did have to make a call to support, and they were very helpful.
Quote:
By the way, I took a look at your home theater and it looks absolutely amazing.

Thanks!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 107 Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Do without the Sirus/AM/FM tuner - the server will stream SiriusXM and most radio stations have an Internet stream as well. The iPod dock, same question - with the music server available, will you really want to play a subset of your collection from an iPod?
Not sure what you mean Jeff, when you say server, does the Grand Concerto get hardwired to my pc, or am I missing something?
Quote:

You can move to the NuVo Essentia which has the same functionality with smaller keypads and lower wattage per zone to get closer. But IMO the large keypads are what makes the system...
I agree I do like the keypad that comes with the I8GMS and the next level up pads is around $850.00 each which I find overpriced.
Quote:

Easy to install, there's a PC-based program to guide you through the minor configuration details. Contact a local dealer(s), explain that you're going to DIY the system and see what price they can offer.
This pc based program is it the "•NV-I8DLS Grand Concerto EZ IR Learning Station", if so is it under friendly, as well I noticed it doesn't come with all the NuVo packages? I approached a local dealer today and they didn't seem too receptive to the diyer so I may have to purchase online. I also noticed they’re pricing to the diyer was almost at list.
Quote:

Exactly what I did, and was able to approach the gear pricing from non-authorized sources.
Was there a particular vendor you went with?

I looked on eBay and noticed a few NuVo GC but can't tell whether there the grand version or not. Also even though they state "new" I'm a bit hesitant.

If I may ask another question....if I had one csm speaker in the ensuit bathroom and two in the bedroom, can this be considered one zone while still having seperate volume controls to have either bedroom or ensuite speaker control capabilies. If so how do I set this up?

Thanks again for the reply Jeff.
post #6 of 107 Old 10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure what you mean Jeff, when you say server, does the Grand Concerto get hardwired to my pc, or am I missing something?

The MPS4 (or MPS4e Elite) are "servers". Essentially a self-contained Windows-based platform running an application which serves up both digital music files (AAC/MP3) stored on the server's hard drive (or on a network share in the case of the Elite - the lower-priced MPS4 doesn't support network shares), and also streaming from Internet Radio stations and services like Pandora, SiriusXM, etc. The MPS4 gets an Ethernet connection to your network and the Internet. It's also where the iPod / iPad control app gets its connectivity to the system.
Quote:
I agree I do like the keypad that comes with the I8GMS and the next level up pads is around $850.00 each which I find overpriced.

Agreed. I also didn't like the fact that the color LCD display is slightly larger than a dual-gang wallplate opening. Which would make future upgrades/changes a patching mess.
Quote:
This pc based program is it the "•NV-I8DLS Grand Concerto EZ IR Learning Station", if so is it under friendly, as well I noticed it doesn't come with all the NuVo packages? I approached a local dealer today and they didn't seem too receptive to the diyer so I may have to purchase online. I also noticed they’re pricing to the diyer was almost at list.

No, the EZ IR learning station is not what you need. That's only for learning IR commands for other components, which is unlikely you'll need. The configuration software is downloaded from NuVo's dealer / support website - your dealer should provide the software (free).
Quote:
Was there a particular vendor you went with?

I used my homebuilder, who offered these systems as one of their upgrade options, and is an authorized dealer.
Quote:
I looked on eBay and noticed a few NuVo GC but can't tell whether there the grand version or not.

The Concerto (not the Grand) had pushbutton keypads, not the OLED display. The "GC" is the Grand Concerto. The previous version was replaced 4-5 years ago.
Quote:
If I may ask another question....if I had one csm speaker in the ensuit bathroom and two in the bedroom, can this be considered one zone while still having seperate volume controls to have either bedroom or ensuite speaker control capabilies. If so how do I set this up?

Separate volume controls would mean two separate zones, unless you're trying to squeeze into the 8-zone max, don't try to combine rooms like that. Regardless, wire it correctly and handle and combinations at the backend.

Jeff

post #7 of 107 Old 10-20-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The MPS4 (or MPS4e Elite) are "servers". Essentially a self-contained Windows-based platform running an application which serves up both digital music files (AAC/MP3) stored on the server's hard drive (or on a network share in the case of the Elite
I get it now, in other words I could get radio stations through the MPS4e so no need for a seperate tuner.
Quote:

The Concerto (not the Grand) had pushbutton keypads, not the OLED display. The "GC" is the Grand Concerto. The previous version was replaced 4-5 years ago.
The reason I asked about this is I've seen used Concerto's on ebay for around $500.00 wich the GC OLED keypads for say $150.00 each X 6 =$900.00, I'm thinking that maybe a lower priced way for entery into the NuVo world, The new MPS4e on Ebay seem to go for around $2400.00 but still that does't get me down to my $6000.00 budget since I still need to source speakers.
Quote:

Separate volume controls would mean two separate zones, unless you're trying to squeeze into the 8-zone max, don't try to combine rooms like that. Regardless, wire it correctly and handle and combinations at the backend.
Jeff
The reason I ask is....since my plan is to have 6 zones than I've maxed out the GC unit, adding another zone would cost say another $500.00 for the P2100 amp and another $200.00 for the OLED display, seems a high price when wanting to add one speaker to an ensuite and yes for another $200 for the OLED, I could get one more zone.

Thanks again for the reply Jeff and since you're the only one that has replied then I would assume the NuVo GC is the only system the best suits my needs other then the budget?

Now I'm curious as to which set up you went with in the GC?
post #8 of 107 Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I get it now, in other words I could get radio stations through the MPS4e so no need for a seperate tuner.

Yes, sorry, that's exactly what I meant. I could have been more direct... biggrin.gif
Quote:
The reason I asked about this is I've seen used Concerto's on ebay for around $500.00 wich the GC OLED keypads for say $150.00 each X 6 =$900.00, I'm thinking that maybe a lower priced way for entery into the NuVo world, The new MPS4e on Ebay seem to go for around $2400.00 but still that does't get me down to my $6000.00 budget since I still need to source speakers.

A used Concerto on eBay will likely be the old "Concerto", which is not the same thing and is incompatible in terms of the sources and keypads. Certainly is not a Grand Concerto if it's selling for under $1k used. There was an upgrade path from NuVo for the Concerto (basically a guts swap), but unlikely to be an economical path to the Grand Concerto. The GC kit comes with 6 OLED keypads at the MSRP of $4200. A good price from a dealer would be at least 30% off list.

Budget is always an issue, but I will say this is an area that I was hesitant to spend what I did as well (even though I'm a classic AVS stereotype). But with the functionality and easy-of-use these provide when done right (as opposed to lesser systems without keypads/displays or zone-independence), I don't regret any of the dollars spent, and highly recommend the setup. I use mine every day.
Quote:
The reason I ask is....since my plan is to have 6 zones than I've maxed out the GC unit, adding another zone would cost say another $500.00 for the P2100 amp and another $200.00 for the OLED display, seems a high price when wanting to add one speaker to an ensuite and yes for another $200 for the OLED, I could get one more zone.

The P2100 is expensive - I used an AudioSource AMP-100 for <$100 and bought an OLED keypad off eBay for $100-125 to reach my 7th zone.
Quote:
Thanks again for the reply Jeff and since you're the only one that has replied then I would assume the NuVo GC is the only system the best suits my needs other then the budget?

There is a system with similar capabilities and pricing from Russound.
Quote:
Now I'm curious as to which set up you went with in the GC?

Not sure what you mean, here's my configuration... I have the NuVo Grand Concerto along with with the NuVo MusicPort server (the PC-based version of the MPS4 software, long discontinued) and an T2 XM/AM/FM tuner. Now using all eight GC zones with a few rooms combined (at the back end) to keep within the eight zones. I've really got 10 rooms with keypads - two rooms are sharing zones (and I have the garage pre-wired). I have 3 external amps to get all 10 rooms powered (an AudioSource AMP-100, AMP-6.2, and a NuVo D460 (which I got for cheap!). If I could pick up GC Expansion unit for cheap, I'd use it in place of all the external amps and have a couple of zones left for the garage and, hmmm, I think every room is covered that I can get to... biggrin.gif

Jeff

post #9 of 107 Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I would only buy a distributed audio system from an authorized dealer.

Read the manual several times, before buying anything. And if you want professional installation, buy from the installer. The local dealer/installer would probably sell the equipment to you for significantly below MSRP, as long as you don't ask him ANYTHING about how to install it.

Nuvo and Russouns make comparable systems, but I bought a Nuvo GC because of the available music server. I have the MPS4E, and it's my only component. I don't use any advanced features of the E, currently. Not sure if the MPS4 has been replaced by the MPS4E, or if both are still offered. I bought the zone expander, and currently have 11 zones. It was a lot of work to retrofit over the last few years, and I still have some work to do on the project - adding a zone, adding advanced control to the TV zones, replacing some speakers, replace the rack.

HTD is another consideration, for the DIYer. Not as advanced as Nuvo and Russound, but owners seem happy with their systems, from what I've read here on AVS.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #10 of 107 Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

A used Concerto on eBay will likely be the old "Concerto", which is not the same thing and is incompatible in terms of the sources and keypads
I guess I’m stop my search for the standard C then and stick with the GC.
Quote:

The GC kit comes with 6 OLED keypads at the MSRP of $4200. A good price from a dealer would be at least 30% off list.
This is the one I’ve seen also. E.G NuVo Technologies Grand Concerto 6-Source 8-Zone System NV-18GMS - $4199.00
Quote:

I don't regret any of the dollars spent, and highly recommend the setup. I use mine every day.
I someone how good the sound quality would be when compared to let’s a say a decent Dennon receiver, although ease of use can’t compare, I’m talking sound quality through the same speakers.
Quote:

I bought an OLED keypad off eBay for $100-125
I believe the lowest price now is around $185.00 obo so you got a great deal.
Quote:

here's my configuration... I have the NuVo Grand Concerto along with the NuVo MusicPort server (the PC-based version of the MPS4 software, long discontinued) and an T2 XM/AM/FM tuner. Now using all eight GC zones with a few rooms combined (at the back end) to keep within the eight zones. I've really got 10 rooms with keypads - two rooms are sharing zones (and I have the garage pre-wired). I have 3 external amps to get all 10 rooms powered (an AudioSource AMP-100, AMP-6.2, and a NuVo D460 (which I got for cheap!). If I could pick up GC Expansion unit for cheap, I'd use it in place of all the external amps and have a couple of zones left for the garage and, hmmm, I think every room is covered that I can get to... biggrin.gif
That’s exactly what I meant; I’m curious how you shared your zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Read the manual several times, before buying anything. And if you want professional installation, buy from the installer. The local dealer/installer would probably sell the equipment to you for significantly below MSRP, as long as you don't ask him ANYTHING about how to install it.
Good suggestion re reading the manual which to be honest I’ve only rushed through it. As for purchasing from a local dealer….as mentioned they don’t really like diyer as I will be doing my own install. I will be purchasing it online and know I can’t rely on the local dealers that want to sell it to me at either list or slightly below it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Nuvo and Russouns make comparable systems, but I bought a Nuvo GC because of the available music server. I have the MPS4E, and it's my only component. I don't use any advanced features of the E, currently. Not sure if the MPS4 has been replaced by the MPS4E, or if both are still offered. I bought the zone expander, and currently have 11 zones. It was a lot of work to retrofit over the last few years, and I still have some work to do on the project - adding a zone, adding advanced control to the TV zones, replacing some speakers, replace the rack.
Thanks for the comparison also I’ve read better feedback with NuVo as compared to Russounds, which is why I didn’t pursue their product line. Any reason you didn’t choose Russound as well, I'm wondering now which Russound system would compare to the Grand Concerto? I still see vendors selling the standard MPS4 and it maybe discontinued but there is stock available. Can you tell me more about the “advanced control to the TV zones”?

I’m curious as to which speakers you both went with and whether they were in-ceiling….wall etc?

Thanks again for the replies, I think, I need to figure out what the kitchen reno will cost and see what’s left over for the whole house audio and go from there.

Thanks again Jeff for your repeated replies, as well thanks Neurorad for chimiing in. .

Frank
post #11 of 107 Old 10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I someone how good the sound quality would be when compared to let’s a say a decent Dennon receiver, although ease of use can’t compare, I’m talking sound quality through the same speakers.

These systems are primarily for background / ambient music, and have less power/channel than a typical AVR. But through in-ceiling speakers, which is typical, the speakers will generally be the limiting quality factor.
Quote:
I believe the lowest price now is around $185.00 obo so you got a great deal.

No, you just have to wait for someone else to offer one. I bought 3 or 4 over the course of several months. Set up an eBay 'Saved Search' to alert you when new auctions show up...
Quote:
Any reason you didn’t choose Russound as well, I'm wondering now which Russound system would compare to the Grand Concerto?

Neurorad and I picked the GC for the same reasons - quality/metadata functionality of the keypads, and the availability of a digital music server that utilized the keypad metadata feature. Russound didn't have that at the time we both bought ours. Comparing them today is much easier, but I still prefer the NuVo keypads for their readability.
Quote:
I’m curious as to which speakers you both went with and whether they were in-ceiling….wall etc?

All in-ceiling for the zones, majority were the NuVo AP2 8" speakers, which I also got a good price on. I'm not thrilled with them, and the zones where I'm using other brands (Boston Acoustics and Definitive Tech) have noticeably better sound. Well, I can tell, no one else notices. My advice on in-ceiling speakers is that, unless you can hear them, stick with known good inexpensive 6.5" models. You can upgrade them to better or larger speakers later. The 8" speakers I used make it difficult to upgrade - as the ~9" hole in the ceiling limits my choices to speakers that are at least that big...

Jeff

post #12 of 107 Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should go with the Russound C-Series and Add the DMS3.1 Media Streamer has built in airplay also.

You can control the system via the "My Russound" App.
post #13 of 107 Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

These systems are primarily for background / ambient music, and have less power/channel than a typical AVR. But through in-ceiling speakers, which is typical, the speakers will generally be the limiting quality factor.
I would hope that based on the price point most of the value wouldn't be targeted towards convience, rather sound quality would also be really important. I don't know that I would want to spend more then $100.00 sale price per speaker, multiply that times since zones at minimum $1200.00 sale, $2000.00 retail for speakers?
Quote:

No, you just have to wait for someone else to offer one. I bought 3 or 4 over the course of several months. Set up an eBay 'Saved Search' to alert you when new auctions show up...
That seems like a good idea, once I decide which system I go with and at the moment it's between Russound and NuVo.
Quote:

Russound didn't have that at the time we both bought ours. Comparing them today is much easier, but I still prefer the NuVo keypads for their readability.
I agree with you on the keypad being more pleasing but I'm finding better sale prices on the Russound. C-Series Multizone Controller Amplifier MCA-C5 which I believe is the best comparison to the GC. Thanks for the advice on the speaker selection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolfan View Post

You should go with the Russound C-Series and Add the DMS3.1 Media Streamer has built in airplay also.
You can control the system via the "My Russound" App.
I'm looking into the Russound MCA-C5 at the moment and do like the pricing better but have to admit the GC does has micer keypads. I will reserve judgement untill I research the Russound more.

Thanks

Frank
post #14 of 107 Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would hope that based on the price point most of the value wouldn't be targeted towards convience, rather sound quality would also be really important. I don't know that I would want to spend more then $100.00 sale price per speaker, multiply that times since zones at minimum $1200.00 sale, $2000.00 retail for speakers?

There unfortunately are a lot of junk in-ceiling speakers out there... Many good brands, too. A lot of folks around AVS have used the ~$50/pair Monoprice in-ceiling speakers. I haven't heard them, so can't give you any opinion other than the specs look good and they are absolutely dirt cheap!

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4103&seq=1&format=2

Jeff

post #15 of 107 Old 10-23-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There unfortunately are a lot of junk in-ceiling speakers out there... Many good brands, too. A lot of folks around AVS have used the ~$50/pair Monoprice in-ceiling speakers. I haven't heard them, so can't give you any opinion other than the specs look good and they are absolutely dirt cheap.
I just happen to purchase the first set today it's the Klipsch R-1650-C. When I saw your link I thought, I didn't do too bad paying $15.00 more, but then I noticed Mono's price was for the pair and I paid $65.00 each on sale. Dirt Cheap........ya you can say that again. The thing about speakers is..It’s all about sound quality and when you purchase online, it can sometime because a surprise when you eventually install them, hopefully a good surprise.

We should get our estimate for the kitchen tomorrow at which point I'll find out the true budget for the whole home audio, Worst case scenario, I'll purchase the in-ceiling speakers and hook them up to a receiver in the meantime. Even the entry level receivers have at least 2 so called zones.

I'm going to take your advice and do the notice on eBay for speakers and either Russound or NuVo systems to notify me when new listings come up. If I'm patient hopefully I can get everything for $6000.00. All the wiring will be the easiest part, just have to figure out which gauge of speaker wire, I find either 14 or 16 gauge should be ok for the length of run in our two story home. Nothing should be over 50 ft.

Thanks again Jeff.........too bad there wasn't a "thank you" I could click on.

EDIT;

In doing an eBay search this came up, it's listed as "used" but looks to be new. What I'm missing to meet my wish list is;

Speakers
MPS4E Music Port Server
NV-I8DLS EZ IR Learning Station which I believe I don't really need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NUVO-GRAND-CONCERTO-6-SOURCE-8-ZONE-WHOLE-HOUSE-AUDIO-SYSTEM-with-6-OLED-KEYPADS-/321005779607?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item4abd6f7a97
post #16 of 107 Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I hope you end up liking the in-wall controllers. My first WHA system had them because it seemed like the way to go. After living with then for awhile and thinking about what it would be like to have hand-held controllers I realized I had made a mistake. I replaced the system with another brand that had hand-held controllers and found that they were indeed much more to my liking.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #17 of 107 Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

I hope you end up liking the in-wall controllers. My first WHA system had them because it seemed like the way to go. After living with then for awhile and thinking about what it would be like to have hand-held controllers I realized I had made a mistake. I replaced the system with another brand that had hand-held controllers and found that they were indeed much more to my liking.

IMO, the correct answer is "both"... With these systems supporting "apps" for control, it's easy to add a handheld controller (aka Android or iOS device) to either of these setups. And the wall-mounted control panels are always where you left them.

Jeff

post #18 of 107 Old 10-25-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just trying to get an idea on pricing, Can someone give me feedback on this system on eBay, here are the details and price. Don't know how to link to the ad. The location is Canada with $150.00 shipping and don't worry about brokerage, duty etc. I just want to know about pricing and whether everything is there to make this operation. I wish it had the NV-MPS4eMusic Port, I'm just going to check now to see the difference. What I'm also wondering is the part numbers are for the GC yet they are calling it Concerto. The same with the keypads part number is for the grand concerto pads.

NUVO CONCERTO 6 SOURCE, 16 ZONE WHOLE HOUSE AUDIO SYSTEM

Nuvo Concerto 6 source, 16 ZONE, whole house audio system with 11 keypads. This is perfect for a large home and the costs are substantially lower than buying a new system (MSRP of over $10000)

This set includes the main Concerto system, an 8 zone expander, music port server, 11 keypads for full control of audio and associated cables, wall-plates and remotes.
The system was recently installed in a home and works 100% perfectly. Every keypad is operational and in top notch condition, with matching black, white or almond faceplates. The only reason for its removal was to facilitate a larger, more comprehensive automation system that had its own audio components.

Parts are as follow...

NV-I8GM (1unit) - Concerto Whole Home Audio system
NV-I8GX (1 unit) - Concerto 8 zone Expander
NV-MPS4 (1 unit) - Music Port Server (Streaming music, Itunes link, etc)
NV-I8GCP (11 units) - Concerto Control Pads with 3 colors of trim kits (black/white/almond)
NV-I8GEZP (1 unit) - Concerto EZ Port
NV-GRC1 (2 units) - Hand held remotes
NV-VEC (6 units) - Nuco visible IR emitters
Rack ear mounts for components
Cables to link components
System has been updated to latest firmware

US $5,999.00
post #19 of 107 Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I had trouble with my MPS4, adding zones piecemeal over the course of a year. At one point, when adding the 11th zone or so, MPS4 stopped working correctly. I spent some time with Nuvo tech support, and they couldn't fix it. Since I bought through an authorized dealer, exchange was a breeze.

Then, I tried to set a static IP on the MPS4. Bricked it. Nuvo TS couldn't fix, so I sent it back. Again, since I bought through an authorized dealer, exchange was easy, and it provided me the opportunity to upgrade to the MPS4E. Each time, unit was back in a week. I have GREAT faith in Nuvo to make things right, when their equipment goes south.

I'd definitely buy Nuvo again, and definitely through an Authorized dealer. Not sure how Nuvo would respond to a problem if purchased through ebay., and I wonder if that MPS4 on eBay has had problems.

My Nuvo is on at least 5 hours every weekday, and all day Saturday and Sunday. It's really outstanding. No problems since I installed the MPS4E, about a year ago. I love it. Haven't attempted the static IP, and won't for a while. wink.gif

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #20 of 107 Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to purchase through a authorized dealer but the ones in my area don't care about reducing there price. Going the online route, I think there are only two authorized dealer, Smarthome and parts-express. Although there pricing is lower then I can get locally it's still a bit over my budget.

I'll let this Kijiji ad go for now since i'd rather have the Port Server express and don't really need the expander pack at this time, mind you they lowered the price down to $4995.00 which I think is a really good deal, but it's the ol, authorized dealer that kills if for me.

Thanks again.
post #21 of 107 Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Contact Nuvo to find a complete list of authorized online retailers and distributors.

Try contacting other nearby Nuvo dealers. They don't have to be very close, as the equipment can be drop shipped to you, from Nuvo.

post #22 of 107 Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Neurorad;

NoVo has an "Find a Dealer" on there web site and it told me of the only two authorized online dealers wjhich are Smarthome and parts-express. Other then calling more dealers and asking each one I'm at the point of frustration since I believe authorized dealers in my area have a monopoly on price. Either that or they just don't like to sell to the diyer. And to think I never asked any install questions.......only pricing.

I've made maybe 20 phone calls today and a couple dealers actually laughed at me so I think I need a break from checking out NuVo pricing.

Thanks for everyone's help.
post #23 of 107 Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Can someone please explain what this hardware does? I'm not sure exactly what it's function is.

Nuvo NV-MP Music Port NuvoNet Bridge

"Save money and build the server yourself using this adapter

With MCS3.0 from Autonomics, you can add Pandora and TuneIn services to your system

Converts PC audio files for multi-output access from anywhere in your home

Works with NuVo Grand Concerto I8G and Essentia E6G whole-home audio systems

Browse and play your audio files via a system keypad via NuVoNet

Software allows for PC or touch screen control of audio files and your whole-home audio system

Merge files from various media players and networked computers into one collection "
post #24 of 107 Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone please explain what this hardware does? I'm not sure exactly what it's function is.

Nuvo NV-MP Music Port NuvoNet Bridge]

This is the old MusicPort, which is what I'm still using. It's an earlier version of the software that powers the MPS4 server(s), which you run on your own PC hardware and Windows. The hardware device is a NuVoNet adapter, which bridges between the PC (via RS232) and NuVoNet. It's NuVoNet that links all NuVo sources and keypads to the system, and in order to display anything (artist/track/etc.) on the keypads, the source has to be on NuVoNet.

I make do with it, as a single music library / Internet radio source is enough for me. But the software has some bugs, which I deal with by automatically rebooting the host PC every other day. It was, and is, a cheaper way to build a music server, but it's a discontinued software product - so take that into consideration...

Jeff

post #25 of 107 Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Jeff;

I agree it's definitely a low cost alternative but I have noticed it's discontinued. Just so I understand, the NV-MP Music Port NuvoNet Bridge was a cost effective method to use the pc's hard drive as well as internet via hardwire to stream music/radio to all zones? The upgrade was the MPS4 server which has its own 320 GB hard drive, as well it's linked via wifi or hardwired, to allow access to your pc as well as the internet to obtain music files from your pc as well as online radio and stream with the aid of the keypad to all zones? In other words the MPS4 was self-contained and more reliable but at a much higher price tag? The newest version is the MPS4e elite, which has double (640 GB) capacity and all the same features including IP control which I understand won't be helpful to the average NuVo owner, Network Storage which I believe the MPS4 has only the Elite has greater storage, and Cloud synchronization which I have yet to figure out, Oh and a $875. higher list price for those 3 options.
post #26 of 107 Old 11-01-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you should strongly consider Russound. It is currently comparable to Nuvo, except the hardware is slightly less 'protected' from internet sales.

The main reason I went with Nuvo was for the music server option - not available from Russound when I was shopping.

Again, read the manuals several times before buying ANYTHING. It will take a lot of time and effort to get up and running.

Price out the MCA-C5 and the DMS 3.1 music server. Those 2 devices are probably all that you need.

post #27 of 107 Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Neurorad;

I have spent many hours which have led into days researching whole home audio systems and it eventually wounded down to Russound and Nuvo. I'd say I've spent about 80% of my time researching NuVo of which a lot of it was spent on pricing. After all if I can't afford it then I'm wasting my time. I find that NuVo's pricing is more strict if purchased through authorized dealers, Russound tends to be more flexible but overall comparable if not less when comparing apples to apples. which is difficult at this point since my knowledge of both systems is limited.

Seems you're recommending I spend more time researching the Russound MCA-C5 and the DMS 3.1 music server, pricing seems to be less, although from a cosmetic standpoint, I still like the NuVo keypads better. Maybe I need to keep an open mind but I have to ask, if you were to do it all over again, which system would you go with?

The only con I find with NuVo is price; tech support I've read is above average, only if purchased through an authorized dealer. As for Russound......looks like more research is recommended.
post #28 of 107 Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Jeff;
Just so I understand, the NV-MP Music Port NuvoNet Bridge was a cost effective method to use the pc's hard drive as well as internet via hardwire to stream music/radio to all zones?

Yes, it was essentially the server software, you provided the hardware. The MPS4 provided both as a much-more-reliable bundle. That's not all the fault of the software, but rather the PC/Windows nature of the beast. Building an "appliance", even with Windows as the core, is much easier to contain than a free-for-all general purpose computer... From a dealer / customer service standpoint, the self-contained server fit much better into their product line and sales model.
Quote:
The upgrade was the MPS4 server which has its own 320 GB hard drive, as well it's linked via wifi or hardwired, to allow access to your pc as well as the internet to obtain music files from your pc as well as online radio and stream with the aid of the keypad to all zones? In other words the MPS4 was self-contained and more reliable but at a much higher price tag? The newest version is the MPS4e elite, which has double (640 GB) capacity and all the same features including IP control which I understand won't be helpful to the average NuVo owner, Network Storage which I believe the MPS4 has only the Elite has greater storage, and Cloud synchronization which I have yet to figure out, Oh and a $875. higher list price for those 3 options.

IP control comes from the NuVo apps, which work on both MPS4 and the Elite. Autonomic has an app that works with the Mirage software (the original MusicPort).

The Cloud sync stuff on the Elite is for multiple servers (think vacation house). The other advantages are the larger storage, and more importantly, the ability to point to NAS storage on your home network. I'd say that is probably the key feature difference...

Jeff

post #29 of 107 Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

the MPS4E also provides a video output, to run to a touchscreen, to provide cover art to the TS. Haven't tried it myself, but would fits well with most control systems, e.g. Crestron.

post #30 of 107 Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well I picked up about 5 sets of Klipsch in ceiling speakers and one set of wall. Still undecided between NuVo and Russound although Russounds price is more attractive yet I like the NuVo kepad and all around set up better.

Either way, the Kitchen reno will start in January and it looks like I'm doing a lot of the work so I'll be able to run all the rough in wiring. I ordered about 500 ft of 16 gauge speaker wire and 1000 ft of cat5. Hopefully that should cover it.

In the meantime I'm both price shopping and doing a bit more research.

Thanks everyone, I just thought I would update.
Reply Home A/V Distribution