Does this device exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a super simple, inexpensive audio streaming device that has either analog (RCA), toslink or coax digital audio inputs and either built in wifi or ethernet that can be connected to a wifi gateway to create an audio only stream that can be monitored using any wifi device with a web browser over a network. For simplicity sake think about it as a slingbox minus the video portion and the control portion...no control is needed for the source...just the encoding and streaming of audio. Ideally this device would be bulletproof simple and cost less than $100 at retail. Other requirements would include minimal lag between the audio input and decoded audio stream. Also..I am aware that there are many ways to do this with a computer but I am looking for a stand alone device.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Apple Airport Express. Will accept a stream from an iOS device or iTunes on a Mac/PC using AirPlay.
There is a 3rd party utility called AirFoil for Windows that can stream an PC audio content to an Airplay device as well.

Assuming you wanted the "receiver" part of a streamer, not an actual streamer. A standalone, self-contained streaming device is different, and the best solution now is the Sonos:Connect.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

I am looking for a device that will work stand-alone...without the use of a computer. I do want the streamer side of the equation not the receiver side. The cost of a Sonos is way more than the cost of a slingbox. I am looking for something in the sub $100 range.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdanser View Post

The cost of a Sonos is way more than the cost of a slingbox.

That's really not relevant. Two very different products. Yes, they both have chips and an Ethernet jack and a power supply.
Quote:
I am looking for something in the sub $100 range.

Good luck. A used Squeezebox or Roku Soundbridge would be your best bet. But they won't have the Internet "services" of a current-generation product. The Roku was excellent (I use my Soundbridge Radio daily) - and still streams Internet Radio very reliably. Both of those products would still require a PC for serving a digital library.

Exactly what do you want to "stream" to this device? I'm afraid that if you want more than Internet Radio - meaning Pandora, Spotify, Sirius/XM, etc. you're either going to need to use an iPod Touch + Airport Express, or save up for a Sonos...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 AM

post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I am not looking to stream someone else's content off the internet...I want to stream my own content over the internet without a computer. A simple device with an input on one side that takes audio from any source and an ethernet jack on the other side that outputs a tcp/ip bitstream that can be "tuned in" by a device (computer/iphone/ipad/etc) on the same network.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.barix.com/Instreamer/301/

post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

http://www.barix.com/Instreamer/301/
This is exactly what I have been looking for...now if I can only find one that is $100!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page