HDMI Splitter Before Matrix? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm trying to come up with a plan to distribute video in my basement as well as the main floor of my house. I am really trying to avoid paying for additional directv receivers which may be used infrequently.

My main priority is quality in my dedicated theater room.

My idea was to split my sources with a 1x2 HDMI splitter. Then feed one of the outputs to my AVR for the theater, and send the other to a 4x4 matrix to feed other TV's. There may also be an additional HDMI splitter after the 4x4 matrix.

Will this work or are there too many splitters? Here is a PDF of a rough diagram:

AV Diagram.pdf 94k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AV Diagram.pdf (93.8 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 350
You should probably look at a 4x8 matrix. That setup looks very complicated and limiting, especially in the other rooms. Those locations may each be used infrequently, but can you really "tie" them together and still have a workable solution for your needs?

You could also do two 4x4 matrix switches, and dedicate sources to each "half" of your distribution, or perhaps a simple 1x4 splitter from one set-top box?

Note that wtih the amount of stuff you're buying to avoid a $6/month fee (I hate it too, but...), it may take years to break even.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you can do a 4x8 matrix splitter, that would definitely be the preferred way. If not, your proposal should work just fine. One thing to remember, though, is that using an HDMI splitter, the lower resolution wins. In other words, if you're watching a bluray on the theater screen (1080p) and someone turns on TV 4 upstairs (720p) to watch it there also, there will be a momentary blip in the theater and it will come back on in 720p.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've got another idea,,,

My gut feeling was that my first plan was poor. Thanks for looking at it. I also dont like the idea of that momemtary blip and downgrading that could take place in the theater.

The 4x8 matrix may break my budget. Since I need a new AVR, I may look into the newer ones that provide 2 HDMI zones and lower my expectations a bit.

Maybe use the two zones of the receiver to feed my critical viewing areas, and then leverage the component out on my sources and distribute it to less critical areas with a component matrix?

post #5 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a BD player with component output, that's a very workable plan...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 13 Old 10-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Liked: 10
What about a 4x4 matrix like the Binary one from SnapAV? It has simultaneous HDMI and single CAT6 outputs. Receivers are sold separately, but it could be a good solution.

Ryan Siu
Founder, Owner

The Modern Theatre LLC

post #7 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was reading that the Directtv Genie Clients will disable component out if it detects an active HDMI output on HDCP channels. From what I read that would be HBO and PPV's? Can anyone confirm if that is the case and if there are other HDCP channels I am missing?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

I was reading that the Directtv Genie Clients will disable component out if it detects an active HDMI output on HDCP channels. From what I read that would be HBO and PPV's? Can anyone confirm if that is the case and if there are other HDCP channels I am missing?

I've seen it happen on PPV events on my HR2x boxes. Don't know if it's turned on for HBO. A good question for DBStalk...

Jeff

post #9 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeff. It seems there may be some gotchas with my component out plan as well. I am now considering your suggestion for splitting my sources into two 4x4 hdmi matrix zones. Regretfully I don't think I can spring for a 4x8 matrix given all the other expenses I have.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I've continued poking around DBStalk and other places. I am not that concerned about the HDCP at this time, but who knows what the future holds.

Also I just picked up a used 6x4 component matrix.

I may just go ahead and try my component plan.

Just for safety I thought I would run the component/audio cables, as well as 3 CAT6 cables to each location in case I ever need HDMI and network connectivity. How about a COAX cable?

Any thoughts on what wires to run to each location? Once I drywall the ceiling I dont think I want to try running any more cables!
post #11 of 13 Old 10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry S View Post

How about a COAX cable?
Any thoughts on what wires to run to each location? Once I drywall the ceiling I dont think I want to try running any more cables!

You should definitely wire at least one RG6 coax to each display location, plus 3 category cables. You can run component over category with some baluns, or run a total of 5 coax lines (3 for component video, 2 for analog audio).

post #12 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
jautor is right, run a total of 5 coax lines. Component video cables and RG6 coax are essentially the same cables with different connectors. They also work for coax digital audio. Highly versatile. I am looking at running 6 coax and 6 CAT6 to each room in my upcoming install.

Looking forward to hearing how your system works out.

Cheers
post #13 of 13 Old 10-26-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnieman View Post

jautor is right, run a total of 5 coax lines. Component video cables and RG6 coax are essentially the same cables with different connectors. They also work for coax digital audio. Highly versatile. I am looking at running 6 coax and 6 CAT6 to each room in my upcoming install.

If you're going to multiple rooms with that much coax, you might want to look at a component matrix with cat5e. I'm using the Aton HDR44 (several of them). Does everything needed for the zones over 2 cat5e...

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page