New Home low voltage help / suggestions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting close to running all the low voltage in my new costruction house and have some questions.

Goal : I have a dedicated closet in the media room where everything will homerun to; I wanted the floating tv look in my rooms. In the closet the builder will put in a medium size ON-Q (one with a door on it) panel where they will run 3 coax and 3 telephone drops and demarc 1 line to the outside of the house. I will likely add one more coax and 1 more cat6 to outside and in to panel.

Things I need help with deciding on:
1. Each homerun will get 3 cat6 drops and 1 rg6qs drop. I have about 5 or 6 of these homeruns to run. I will use 2 cat6 lines for HDMI to closet reciever, keep 1 for data to a switch, and coax for either IR extender or cable if needed. I am having a hard time figuring out in the closet if I put in a blank 2 gang box and pull all 30-50 cat6 cables through and in to a wall mount 4u switch rack OR should I find a few 8 hole keystone wall plates and use cat6 punchdown jacks to try to terminate them in the wall. I will likely use keystone connectors on a 2 gang box in the rooms to terminate the rg6 and 3 cat 6 cables. I will run a patch cable from the wall to a balun to convert to HDMI to connect each end. How would you do all this? Seperate data from video cat 6 lines and run video to multiple wall plates on the wall in the closet?

2. I am also running Siamese cable for a security system. I dont think i want these wires in the ON-Q panel because I can get power in there but getting the BNC connectors out to the controller will be a pain since the panel has a door on it. Now that leaves me with running the wires through a 2 gang box and terminating them with BNC keystones on a wall plate right? Any other thoughts / ideas I am overlooking?

3. In my media room I am going to have an 11.3 setup wired but I cant find a wall plate for all 11.2 in the closet. Has anyone seen one or am i going to have to buy a 7.2 & 5.1 setup and wire those to get 12.3? If I do that I will add an extra speaker somewhere if I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Use a patch panel, you don't want to wrestle all those keystones in the wall, and it will much easier to do, and be a better job when you get done.

For home run speaker wires, I'd just bring them all through a scoop, probably a double-gang or two and run the cables to the amps directly.

In my closet, phone/Ethernet is in the box, and the rest of the cabling comes out via scoops (cat5e and speakers). Doing it over I might have put a patch panel in for the cat5e on the wall, might have been easier to deal with over time...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Use a patch panel, you don't want to wrestle all those keystones in the wall, and it will much easier to do, and be a better job when you get done.
For home run speaker wires, I'd just bring them all through a scoop, probably a double-gang or two and run the cables to the amps directly.
In my closet, phone/Ethernet is in the box, and the rest of the cabling comes out via scoops (cat5e and speakers). Doing it over I might have put a patch panel in for the cat5e on the wall, might have been easier to deal with over time...
Jeff

For speaker wires using the large wall scoop(s) is fine since I will have 2 or 3 AVR's to run everything. I will put the living room 5.1 setup and patio (stereo) on my Denon 4308ci and then buy a really good AVR to do my media room 11.2 setup and game room a/v. Might need a 3rd for the master bedroom or find an AVR that has 3 or more HDMI outputs.

For the cat6 lines what plate / gang box would you use? Would you use just a double gang box and another wall scoop to pull them through or buy another open On-Q panel and run them all in to that? Once I get it through the wall I will get them terminated at a patch panel in a rack.

Sorry for the "dumb" cosmetic questions, I just want it to look nice and not just a hole in the Sheetrock with wire coming out of it. The whole media room and wiring closet is insulated so I only get one chance to run this right.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBorn View Post

For the cat6 lines what plate / gang box would you use? Would you use just a double gang box and another wall scoop to pull them through or buy another open On-Q panel and run them all in to that? Once I get it through the wall I will get them terminated at a patch panel in a rack.

Don't use a box - just a double-gang low-volt ring (box with no back), and the scoop for the speakers and category cables. Probably one for each. For the category cables, you can bring them in behind one of the Middle Atlantic hinged patch panel brackets, so the hole would be completely hidden. If I did a patch panel, this is how I'd do it.

hpm.jpg

http://www.middleatlantic.com/dcm/wall/hpm.htm

Use the 6U with some blanks and the top cover and you'll have plenty of space and a good looking solution...
Quote:
Sorry for the "dumb" cosmetic questions, I just want it to look nice and not just a hole in the Sheetrock with wire coming out of it. The whole media room and wiring closet is insulated so I only get one chance to run this right.

There are no dumb questions - only dumb people who ask questions... biggrin.gif If you get it by the third or forth try, you're not even in that category!!!

I'm still surprised and disappointed that the industry doesn't have a better solution for "prosumer" wiring closet solutions. I've suggested to Middle Atlantic / OnQ that they do something in this area. At least a larger box with appropriate bumpouts for wireless routers, etc.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Jeff, do you mean deeper enclosures? Or a deeper wall mount rack?

The MA WM series of wall mount racks offer a 12" depth; shallow shelves might work with that.

Channel Vision and some other enclosure manufacturers offer 2" depth enclosure extension rings that make enclosures 2" deeper.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/dcm/wall/wm.htm

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=183-030

The depth extension ring adds 2" in front of the drywall.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Have you guys tried the Monoprice 7U mount? I am already buying some speaker wire and construction low voltage brackets from there so I was thinking of just adding that mount and opening up a hole in the middle to pull cables through. Since I am going rack mount I will buy a blank 12 port patch panel and do the RG6 keystones through it as well.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Jeff, do you mean deeper enclosures? Or a deeper wall mount rack?

No, I mean something better than the standard in-wall structured wiring enclosures. We all know that there's not enough space in them, that you'll need to connect to equipment outside, and the metal box/covers makes it non-ideal for mounting wireless routers... I suggested at a minimum to offer a door upgrade that would allow mounting of a wireless router, and manage cabling to/from it. Don't know if I got to anyone yet that is close enough to product development to make any impact, though...

Jeff

Old 10-24-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
With the metal back box, and no door, there is still the issue of the back box, for wireless devices.

There are some smaller plastic enclosures available (I use one), but nothing large. The answer is to use an external antenna, or 2 enclosures (1 steel, 1 plastic), one over the other.

Ideally, a large plastic enclosure should fit the bill. Or, WAPs, for improved coverage or for a discrete install.

The depth of a standard stud bay is the issue for 'large' enclosures. The 2" trim ring does the job for my router, switch, and deep patch panels. I use this Channel Vision 'Hinged Expansion Plate' to add to the usable depth. It can only be used with the 2" expansion trim ring. The hinges are positioned between the ring and enclosure. My modem is on that hinged plate, and my switch is behind it, within the enclosure.

I should take a picture.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone