Phone Line upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's what is going on.
I have ASDL2+ as my internet services. I am getting some noise on my lines from what I can see on my modem stats.Installing the filters helped a little,but not alot. I decided to check the wiring under the house and here's what I found........There is a main line that feeds into the master bedroom.Some one has taken some phone wire (4 wire) and tapped into that line at the NID and ran it into another spare room(this room is where the modem gets it's signal),then they just tapped (piggy back) into that plug by using the screws and ran another wire into the living room.
I'm not sure what problems this would cause(if any). I'm not sure as to what kind or cable they used,so it may be some junk cable that is causing my problem. It is phone cable though.

I have some cat5e cable and even some cat6 from some other wiring projects and was thinking about wiring separate runs from the outside NID to each room. What do you guys think? Leave it or run new runs?Is it overkill? I do plan on terminating the ends with punch downs, so atleast the back is a little cleaner looking even If i use the old wiring.The phone wires are just all bundled up now,not sure how anyone even was able to attach most of them.

I want to get the best possible signal (speed) for my video streaming.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page