Help a Newbie with Connection Diagram - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to the complex part of home theater and audio/video distribution. Up to this point, I have only had one room to worry about, and therefore, everything was straightforward. Now I am in the process of figuring out how to distribute audio and video through out the house and I am getting very confused on the best way to run the wiring. I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look at the diagram and give me constructive feedback. I'd like the household to be able to watch different sources at the same time which is why I went with the matrix selectors. As for HDMI between the matrix selectors and the displays, I am aware that I need to take into account the length of run and decide whether HDMI over CAT is a better alternative. I will address that when I get the design ironed out so for ease of illustration, I showed everything from the matrix selector to the displays as HDMI with the knowledge that the cable type could change. Pick away......and thanks in advance for your help!

A.V. Diagram.pdf 224k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A.V. Diagram.pdf (224.0 KB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I don't understand feeding the output of a 4x2 matrix to a 4x4 when you have room for all of the sources on the 4x4. Since you have a total of 5 displays, I'd suggest dedicating an AppleTV and BD player to your workout area as it will greatly simplify the rest of the design and its usability.

What is going on with the line out coming from the Onkyo AVR to multiple sets of 5.1 speakers?

To get a better idea of what you're trying to do, it's helpful to make the diagram in a physical view showing which equipment / speakers /displays are in which room.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I agree the daisy-chain matrix is not the greatest idea. I would just use one 4x4 with all the sources connected...and take one of the 4 outputs and use a 1x2 splitter. Just pick two displays that will be forced to be the same thing. Maybe it's "Porch TV" and "Workout TV"...so if someone is using the Workout TV, the Porch TV has to view the same thing. Or maybe you only use the "Master TV" (which I assume is master bedroom?) at night, so it can share with Porch or Workout. That will GREATLY simplify the design and make control much much easier to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

What is going on with the line out coming from the Onkyo AVR to multiple sets of 5.1 speakers?
I think he is just using preouts to feed Zone 2 (via external amp) and Zone 3 (via the denon receiver) for audio only.

sda272, if that is correct, I hope you realize that audio from the HDMI sources (including the Apple TV) cannot be sent to the other zones. You'll only be able to play internet radio, built-in airplay, etc, etc to those other zones. (Unless you double-connect their analog outputs to the receiver but that seems a strange setup since the HDMI outputs are going through the matrix.)
post #4 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

I think he is just using preouts to feed Zone 2 (via external amp) and Zone 3 (via the denon receiver) for audio only.

That's what I would have expected, but he's got "5.1 speakers" attached in multiple rooms to amps fed from a 'line out' on the main Onkyo...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page