Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody.

I just got an AVR-3312,
and my wish is to use it also as a DAC,
to convert all my FLAC files to analog signal,
and send it to a vintage amplifier.

My issue: I can't get any audio signal on the rec out from any HDMI signal.
I tried DVR out but also Zone 2 and Zone 3 PRE OUTS.

It works fine with any analog ins such as CD or PHONO.

My understanding is that the HDMI signal being a multi-channel signal,
it can't decode it and use it as a PCM.

Any way to go around that?

Lineage:

FLAC Files > Clementine For OSX> Macmini HDMI output
>AVR 3312 HDMI Game 1 Input

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Apparently I can get a signal on the FL-FR preamp outs,
but it is modulated by the amp volume. Which makes sense.
But I don't want that i want a linear signal on a line out,
so I can adjust the volume on the 2 pairs of speakers.
One on the Denon and the other on a vintage amp.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 366
You won't get analog out from digital inputs (HDMI). Limitation of that and many AVR's that they don't have on-board DACs for the zone2/3 outputs. Some newer models are doing a better job of supporting digital sources in zone2.

You'll probably need an HDMI audio extractor to get an analog output, meaning you won't be able to use the AVR as a DAC. You may be better off using a USB audio device to get a toslink digital out that you can send to an external DAC, since you seem to be concerned with the DAC quality.

Is this "vintage" amp an integrated amp? You'll need a volume control somewhere... Are you trying to use this amp in a different room, or "instead" of some of the AVR's channels? You'd really want an AVR with true pre-amp outputs for that.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer Jeff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You won't get analog out from digital inputs (HDMI). Limitation of that and many AVR's that they don't have on-board DACs for the zone2/3 outputs. Some newer models are doing a better job of supporting digital sources in zone2.

Things is, I don't really need the 3312 to ouput the HDMI signal on Zone 2/3 output,
It could perfectly be on the regular DVR out... But apparently it won't either.

The problem seems to be that the 3312 D/A converter can't process an HDMI multichannel signal and convert it
as it would do with a Toslink PCM.
In fact I managed to ouput a Toslink signal on the analog outs.
So that might be a solution: Send the video of my Mac via HDMI,
and the audio via Toslink.
but....there's a delay between the Denon actual sound and the analog out.
The Denon seems to reproduce the Toslink signal milliseconds later than it outputs the converted signal on the analog out.
And the Audio Delay function wish goes only one direction won't help.
Quote:

You'll probably need an HDMI audio extractor to get an analog output, meaning you won't be able to use the AVR as a DAC. You may be better off using a USB audio device to get a toslink digital out that you can send to an external DAC, since you seem to be concerned with the DAC quality.

I though about that, obviously, but I liked the idea of having everything in a single box. Meaning that I could use the video upscaling features of the Denon,
and use it as a DAC. I thought that there would be an RCA out for anything the Denon would reproduce. Just as the Tape Rec outs on a good old amp.
Plain and simple.
Quote:

Is this "vintage" amp an integrated amp? You'll need a volume control somewhere... Are you trying to use this amp in a different room, or "instead" of some of the AVR's channels? You'd really want an AVR with true pre-amp outputs for that.
Yes that is an integrated amp, and I would use it in the same room. Basically, I would use (or not) a pair of speakers on the Denon, and another pair (the main one) on the vintage amp. That's why the timing of the audio needs to be tight.
About an AVR with true preamps, you're right, I think that definitely is the right solution. Thing is my €€€ won't let me approach them apparently.mad.gif
Do you have a certain model in mind that won't be much more expensive than the 3312?

SO! I think I might just have to bring the 3312 back to the shop, and I don't understand how such a simple action like having a record out of the signal being reproduced,
can't be performed. Maybe it's just an oldschool way of thinking...
post #5 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsdncdx View Post

I though about that, obviously, but I liked the idea of having everything in a single box. Meaning that I could use the video upscaling features of the Denon,
and use it as a DAC. I thought that there would be an RCA out for anything the Denon would reproduce. Just as the Tape Rec outs on a good old amp.
Plain and simple.

But even the Rec/Tape Out wouldn't be a particularly good choice for what you're trying to do, which is use an external amp for some of the AVR's channels. You really need the variable line out of a true pre-amp output, so that you can match the levels once on your integrated amp. With a fixed line output, you'll have to adjust volume on your L/R separately, which will be a PITA...
Quote:
Yes that is an integrated amp, and I would use it in the same room. Basically, I would use (or not) a pair of speakers on the Denon, and another pair (the main one) on the vintage amp. That's why the timing of the audio needs to be tight.
About an AVR with true preamps, you're right, I think that definitely is the right solution. Thing is my €€€ won't let me approach them apparently.mad.gif
Do you have a certain model in mind that won't be much more expensive than the 3312?

Honestly, I'd just forgo hooking up the vintage amp unless you want to use a speaker selector and dual-run your sources (essentially building two systems, one for 2-channel and one for 5.1, which share sources and speakers). Getting pre-amp outputs these days requires a move up to a more expensive AVR, or better, to a true pre-amp/processor with some additional amps to handle the rest of the channels.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
I would ask in the Official XX12 Owner's thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100). If some dark incantation can be used to make the Denon do what you want, those guys would know how to do it.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

I would ask in the Official XX12 Owner's thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100). If some dark incantation can be used to make the Denon do what you want, those guys would know how to do it.

Thanks!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page