Distribute hdmi video + dual analog audio to multiple rooms (hdmi matrix?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to distribute video (hdmi) and audio (rca analog) to two tv's in separate rooms from my htpc, cable box and xbox, although i can live with just 2 inputs if necessary. Each room has stereo speakers hooked into analog amps for sound, and i'm trying to avoid using the tv RCA audio out because it sounds like garbage. I've found many hdmi matrix switches that support 4 input + 2 hdmi outputs, but none that support 2 audio outputs. Is there any way to do what i'm after without having to replace my amp with a receiver? It would seem some type of switch with dual toslink or S/PDIF outs that i can buy a reasonable DAC for would be ideal? I have no idea, any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Liked: 11
The only way you can really do it is to use HDMI audio extractors at the TVs and downmix (if source is not stereo) to run to your amps. This device can extract the audio out of the HDMI signal and also pass it through for the video. If you have 2-ch audio being sent along the HDMI (you're not spoofing or EDID locking or anything), then you could take either the RCA analogs or the optical straight from this device to your amp. If you are EDID locking and multichannel audio is sent to this device, it will only output on the optical and you'll need something else to downmix to send to your amp.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

The only way you can really do it is to use HDMI audio extractors at the TVs and downmix (if source is not stereo) to run to your amps. This device can extract the audio out of the HDMI signal and also pass it through for the video. If you have 2-ch audio being sent along the HDMI (you're not spoofing or EDID locking or anything), then you could take either the RCA analogs or the optical straight from this device to your amp. If you are EDID locking and multichannel audio is sent to this device, it will only output on the optical and you'll need something else to downmix to send to your amp.

While this method will work it may not yield any better results than using the analog outputs on the TV. You are at the mercy of the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) in whatever device is converting the HDMI digital audio to an analog signal. To retain the full analog quality being outputted from the source devices DAC you'll need a separate analog matrix switching device (such as this device which I just Googled quickly and am not endorsing: http://www.snapav.com/p-215-b-200-avmatrix-6x4.aspx) . Then you'll need to run (2) coax /RCA runs to each room in addition to the HDMI runs.

An alternative would be to buy a receiver with a secondary zone output on it. You would hook the speakers in room 1 up to the receiver and you would run the Zone 2 output on the receiver to your amp in room 2. This would require you to run analog audio from each source device to each input on the receiver but would solve your issue.

Cheers,
Bryan
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page