Multi-room Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-08-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lots of questions about multi-room audio, lots of good advice, but I'm coming at this with a non-standard set of parameters. Appreciate any suggestions!

End Points:
1) Play different audio in different rooms of the house. Have the following audio sources: TV (cable music stateions), itunes Computer music library and streaming services like Pandora on WIRED computers, iphones (via bluetooth?), physical media players (at this point we only would put CD's into a computer optical drive)

2) Play different video in different rooms of the house. Presently, we do this with cable boxes in each room where there is a TV. Only one DVR for the whole house. Would like to displace some of the satellite boxes to save $ on monthly "rental" of what I see as rendundant equipment.

Unusual resources:

- Recently did major renovation. Most rooms have both coax and Cat-5e ports. I have all the Cat5e going back to a CISCO router (I don't remotely begin to tax it bandwidth-wise). I'm less educated on what the Coax is doing. Really wanted to avoid Coax altogether, but didn't know enough to go purely with the CAT5e when I did the remodel.

I'm aware of Sonos and some imitators, but I think that I should be able to avoid the whole wireless environment by using the wiring I have in place -- I just don't know how to do it efficiently. My clunky solution would be to put a dumb, cheap PC in each room, connect to the home network and then run audio/video services off that, feeding speakers and/or montiors/TVs in that room.

Seems like overkill. Please advise how I can Use just a main centralized computer in conjuction with my home network (WIRED) to accomplish what Sonos could do for multiple hundreds of dollars per room.

Thanks!!

zinj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-09-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sonos is very good and can be hardwired if desired. The players can be distributed about the house or centralized as needed.

Distributed video is more difficult and can get quite expensive. I concluded that for my home it was not cost effective - at $5/month/receiver it was going to take a long, long time to save any money.

YMMV.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page