A few issues with my new Nuvo MPS4 server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After having bought and struggled with the original PC based Nuvo Music Port, and having an Autonomic engineer remote access into my system and not able to resolve my multiple issues, I now have given up and upgraded to the MPS4 with the "promise" that the system works much more reliably. I received the server about 4 days ago and installed it the next day. Installation was pretty straight forward but I already have a few questions and a couple of issues.

First about the status lights on the front panel. The "LAN" led is lit solid red and the "RS232" is also solid red. This bothered me at first, but I can log into the server just fine and my router has assigned it an IP address. The sync program works as does the standalone client. As for the RS232, I assume that is working as well despite the solid red light. Does anyone on AVS have any insights?

Second, all of the streaming features seem to work fairly well. I have noticed a few glitches in TuneIn [Try tuning "181 FM The Mix" in the "Adult Contemporary" music category; it won't play for me] and Spotify but really need to play with it more to figure out if it is a server problem or a problem on the vendor end. This was the biggest issue with my original Music Port. Streaming was very buggy, both TuneIn and Pandora. It was supposed to run SiriusXM, but it never worked for me. Could not even get it to show up on the keypads.

Speaking of SiriusXM, it is not satisfactorily working for me even with the MPS4. It seems it will play the first station fine, but if I choose another station, it says it is tuning to that station but continues playing the one chosen first. This happens on the keypads and with the MP standalone client. I can even change to a different streaming station. For example, I can start playing a TuneIn station and it works fine but if I then try to go back to SiriusXM, the system says it is tuning the SiriusXM station but actually continues playing the TuneIn station. Any idea how to fix?

Having spent a large amount of money to solve my original MP woes, I'm not very encouraged by my initial experience the the "much better" MPS4.

Hope the users with experience with this system can help change my mind

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think the status lights are covered in the manual - first section, IIRC - don't have it handy, and not at home.

I would contact TuneIn tech support. They are pretty prompt, and friendly. They couldn't help me, as one of my favorite stations is public, and can't afford quality streaming software.

I don't have SiriusXM, but will be trying it soon.

Newest firmware? Multiple reboots? Any wifi in the mix?

I had some trouble, when I tried Spotify. Spotify application was set to automatically start on my PC, which then conflicted with the MPS4 login. Easy fix, but mildly annoying. Perhaps you're similarly trying to run SiriusXM from 2 locations?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Don't try to set a static IP on the MPS4, thinking it's the problem. If you must, do it with Nuvo TS on the phone. Hate to admit it, but I bricked my MPS4 trying; had to RMA - TS couldn't fix.

My upgraded MPS4E currently works well with DHCP.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

I think the status lights are covered in the manual - first section, IIRC - don't have it handy, and not at home.

Yes, lights are covered in manual. I realize this. My point is that my lights are showing solid red on both LAN and RS232. Solid red is supposed to mean no ethernet cable detected for the LAN light and no serial connection at the DB9 connector for the RS232 light. However, I obviously have ethernet connection because I can log into the MPS4 and I assume the RS232 is working since the Client interface is working.

Quote:

I would contact TuneIn tech support. They are pretty prompt, and friendly. They couldn't help me, as one of my favorite stations is public, and can't afford quality streaming software.

I have contacted TuneIn; no response yet.

Quote:

Newest firmware? Multiple reboots? Any wifi in the mix?

I have newest firmware. I have rebooted the server several times; no change in behavior. Yes I have wifi, but don't think this is an issue because all of my problems occur at the Nuvo keypads as well.
Quote:

I had some trouble, when I tried Spotify. Spotify application was set to automatically start on my PC, which then conflicted with the MPS4 login. Easy fix, but mildly annoying. Perhaps you're similarly trying to run SiriusXM from 2 locations?

Spotify now has a way to assign your various devices running Spotify unique IDs which avoids the problem you mention so I don't think this is the problem. It is a problem with SiriusXM, but I was not logged in on any other device. Also, I am able to play the first SiriusXM station that I try on the MPS4. I would not be able to do this if I were logged in on another device.

Thanks for your comments; hopefully Nuvo will be able to help me.
Reply Home A/V Distribution