WHA - Receiver / Selector what do I need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a home which was pre-wired for whole house audio. There are 5 speakers in the living room, and each other room has 2 speakers. Each room has a control knob mounted on the wall, I'm assuming for volume. I'd have to count but there's probably 7 sets of speakers.

I'm not entirely sure what I need to hook everything up.

Do I just need a receiver with 2 zones, then hook the second zone into an amp/speaker selector?
Do I need one of those fancy multi room receivers?

I'm okay with having one audio source play to each room, but what would I need if I wanted to play different sources in different rooms?

I'd like to keep the cost around $1500 or less if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutler555 View Post

I recently purchased a home which was pre-wired for whole house audio. There are 5 speakers in the living room, and each other room has 2 speakers. Each room has a control knob mounted on the wall, I'm assuming for volume. I'd have to count but there's probably 7 sets of speakers.
I'm not entirely sure what I need to hook everything up.
Do I just need a receiver with 2 zones, then hook the second zone into an amp/speaker selector?

That's the cheapest way to do it, and gets you a basic 2-zone setup. Make sure your chosen AVR has an "app" for remote control, otherwise you'll need to figure out a whole remote control / source control scheme. What you don't want to do is have a system that requires you to "go to it" to select something to play in another room. The setup won't get used much if it's a burden like that.
Quote:
Do I need one of those fancy multi room receivers? I'm okay with having one audio source play to each room, but what would I need if I wanted to play different sources in different rooms?

One of those fancy multi-room receivers. biggrin.gif I use mine practically every day in multiple rooms, so I'm a big fan of the systems in general.
Quote:
I'd like to keep the cost around $1500 or less if possible.

Take a look at the systems from HTD.com - they have systems that, with speakers, could be done for around that. Folks here have had good luck with the really cheap Monoprice in-ceiling speakers. I haven't used them, but if you go that route - stick to the 6.5" speakers. If you decide to "upgrade" them later, it's easier to find another 6.5" or 8" speaker to fill the holes. If you start with a larger (8") cheap speaker, you may find yourself limited in the upgrade path.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

So if I got a receiver like: Denon-AVR-2312C that has 2 zones, and a selector like SSVC-6

That should work?

The speakers are already in the ceilings, so no need for speakers.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbutler555 View Post

So if I got a receiver like: Denon-AVR-2312C that has 2 zones, and a selector like SSVC-6
That should work?

If the speakers were already installed - do you have local volume controls in the rooms? If not, yes, the SSVC would be a good choice. But note that if that's your volume/on/off control location for all the rooms, you're into the area I would avoid - having to go to the central hub to affect the music in a zone.

Usually the pre-wired systems will have a volume control location in the room. If so, you don't need the volume controls of the SSVC and can use a cheaper switch.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, there are volume knobs in each room.

Can you suggest a cheaper switch? I need one that supports 6 rooms.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have volume controls in each room, and they are impedance-matching, you don't need a switch, just connect all the wires together. If the controls are NOT impedance-matching, a selector with impedance-matching would be necessary. But in either case, you'll want to leave all the zones "on" at the switch, and adjust volume locally. Again, you don't want to force a trip to the closet to turn on/off something every time you want to use the system.

Something like this, if you need it:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-608

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page