OnQ Systems Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased my first home (6 years old) and I found a few rooms with Cat 5e labels (YAY!). I looked around the house a bit and found a box in the basement labeled OnQ Systems. The pictures below are the contents of the box. There is a lot of information on the web about these systems but I was wondering if anyone has seen a basic setup like the one seen here. I say basic because it seems like a lot less of a system than what I have seen on the forums from others. Are the cat 5e lines live after simply connecting a cable from the router? How would one use those? I assume they are connected to the ON Q System but I am at a loss on where to even start wit this one.

Any help/guidance/comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
That is simply a telecom (phone) connecting block and a coax splitter. Looks like someone made a bit of a rat's nest there adding some more phone extensions. You can certainly pull some of those off and turn the cat5e lines into a wired Ethernet network by adding a router/switch there. OnQ / Legrand makes these modules as the basis of a "structured wiring" setup.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

What about the Cat 5e connections throughout the house? Are they connected to this box? I believe so, but I haven't had the time to run through it all yet. The faceplates are labeled Cat 5e.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasntme View Post

Thanks for the response!
What about the Cat 5e connections throughout the house? Are they connected to this box? I believe so, but I haven't had the time to run through it all yet. The faceplates are labeled Cat 5e.

They should be, but they are all currently configured as phone jacks. If you want a wired Ethernet network, you'll probably want an OnQ network patch panel module to put in the enclosure. Then you can attach your router/switch to it easily.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

They should be, but they are all currently configured as phone jacks. If you want a wired Ethernet network, you'll probably want an OnQ network patch panel module to put in the enclosure. Then you can attach your router/switch to it easily.
Jeff

Guess I'll have to look into that then. Thanks for the help!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page