Home Audio 2-Wire Nightmare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I bought a foreclosure home that was pre-wired with a 6 zone home audio system. Well as you can imagine, all of the equipment is gone and the bank/realtor have no clue what was originally in the home. The only bits still left are the six pairs of ceiling mounted speakers and the volume control knobs.

Here is what was left of the system:
1) The six zone volume controls. ( Quam-Nichols "QC-10")
Reference: http://www.quamspeakers.com/quikspec.shtml -- QC-10 Classic
2) The house wiring which seems to be a two-wire system (green/red)

I consulted with a AV installer on the best way to get this working and he gave me a few recommendations.

I purchased the following new equipment:
1) Russound R1250MC
2) Six new Russound 126w Volume Control

Well, the installer came over yesterday and now I have a few serious issues:

1) I cannot mute the volume in any of the rooms
2) The volume does not correspond correctly to the number on the dial. It seems like the volume barely registers between 1-5 and then from 6-10 seems to step up drastically.

The installer did not install the new Russound 126w Volume controls because he could not get them to mute. At the time he was here the older QC-10 seemed to be muting but not it seems that the QC-10 do not mute either. He tried to to figure out a way to split the two wire system to get it to mute on the new Russound 126w Volume control but could not. He said the issue was that our two-wire system is causing the problem and did not have any solid recommendations on how to salvage the system without rewiring to four wires.

Now that it is a new day, I was thinking the following might be the best solution:
1) Have the newer Russound 126w Volume control installed to fix the volume stepping issue.
2) Find a way to connect and disconnect source at the amp in order to mute the system and shut down the Zone.

It is a crude fix but do you have any additional ideas?

Thank you,
Malc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 12
Pull one of your speakers to determine what it is exactly that is being fed. It looks like a lot of the Quam speaker product is of the 70V variety and those Quam volume knobs are for use with 25V or 70.7V distributed audio.
suprmac likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I would consult a more experienced installer.

Ask about 70V systems, when you schedule.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks.. and I attached a few pictures of this mess.

I did pull one the speaker out this morning and this is what it shows on the back.

25/70 VOLT
Speaker
CLARITY
Model______
5 Watts
Roanote, Virginia

The speakers do not look so hot especially the way they are connected.
Could it be the new switches are non-compatible or do I really need to get a pro to straighten this mess out?

Thanks,
Malc

post #5 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.proacousticsusa.com/blog/2011/09/70-volt-speakers-and-sound-systems/

Some 70V basics.
suprmac likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #6 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmac View Post

Thanks.. and I attached a few pictures of this mess.
I did pull one the speaker out this morning and this is what it shows on the back.
25/70 VOLT
Speaker
CLARITY
Model______
5 Watts
Roanote, Virginia
The speakers do not look so hot especially the way they are connected.
Could it be the new switches are non-compatible or do I really need to get a pro to straighten this mess out?
Thanks,
Malc

That is what I thought. I don't know very much about 70V systems. Neurorad's link may help you decide if you want to keep a 70V system or explore replacing it. I'm not sure if you could use the russound amp with a transformer or if you would need to go to a 70V amp. Maybe someone with experience can chime in here. I would also look for a company that does both commercial and residential installs since they would be familiar with the 70V systems used in restaurants, department stores etc.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

70V used most often in commercial installs, but it's used commonly in resi - for big backyards, with many speakers.

You need to find a more experienced pro. The better ones are more expensive, for a reason. Unfortunately, many mediocre ones are costly too.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page