Simple Multi-Resolution 1-in / 2-out HDMI Splitter for computer? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In trying to keep things simple I purchased a cheap-o 1-in 2-out HDMI Splitter with the plan of having my computer hooked up to both a secondary monitor and my TV at the same time. I need audio to pass through both HDMI cables simultaneously as well.

The problem (which should have been obvious) is that when both are hooked up, my computer monitor is forced to a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 instead of the 1920x1200 its capable of. Looking at reviews, it seems that most splitters have this issue. This has dumbed me down to detaching one cable and reattaching the other, depending on if I want my computer up on the TV or my monitor. Its even more painful by the lack of my computer not auto-detecting the new audio device from the HDMI cable when sending to my TV. The only remedy is to reboot. Simple is not exactly a word I would use

Is there a cheap alternative to this? The basic requirement is a device with 1-in/2-out (from Computer to Monitor and HDTV), supports HDMI audio to both, and supports each output at different, independent resolutions (1920x1080 on my TV and 1920x1200 on my monitor).

This is the one I bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-13-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by midimid View Post

supports each output at different, independent resolutions (1920x1080 on my TV and 1920x1200 on my monitor)

There will be no such beast... The signal stream coming from the source will be at whatever resolution has been selected / detected as supported. Can you not force the output to be 1920x1080 so that both can see it (or does the monitor not support that mode at all)? You can either downgrade the output resolution to something both have in common (which will not be ideal), or replace the secondary monitor with one that can support 1920x1080 native...

Sorry there's not better news...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page