Just Add Power - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone on the forum used the "Just Add Power" HDMI over IP? If so, any feedback would be welcomed. We are going to try it out on a client site and I would love to know others experience with it.

Thanks.

Travis Leo
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com

Travis Leo
Denver, CO
Residential Systems, Inc.
www.ResidentialSystemsInc.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
It is technically HD over IP, not HDMI. The reason is they compress the signal at one end and uncompress at the other end. HDMI is a uncompressed signal. Haven't seen it in action, but the second generation product reportedly gives very good results. They call it "visually lossless" because the compression algorithm used is lossy but gives results which are difficult to discern from uncompressed HDMI when viewed. The first generation product doesn't do nearly as well.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
The reason we call our products HD over IP(tm) instead of HDMI over IP is because the owners of the HDMI registered trademark asked us (and all other companies) to not use their trademark in our product names. When we first launched the products they were called HDMI over IP, because that is what we are doing. Just Add Power uses a patented encode/decode algorithm to convert the HDMI signal to IP packents, send them over a LAN, and then convert them back to HDMI on the other end.

Compression is integral to the HD marketplace. All consumer HDMI signals come from compressed sources. The gold standard for consumer HDMI content is Blu-Ray, which uses H.264 compression. Every Blu-Ray content you have ever seen is from a compressed file. The maximum bandwidth coming off of a Blu-Ray data disc is 50mbps. That 50mbps data is then decompressed by the Blu-Ray player. All other HDMI sources we have encountered (cable, satellite, streaming media players like @TV and Vudu) have an even lower bandwidth rating and much higher compression. It is no great accomplishipment for Just Add Power to take that 50mbps source and distribute it over a 1000mbps LAN without impacting the picture quality. It might help you to think about how we all use the ZIP encode/decode process on data all the time. The ZIP process reduces the size of the file to lower the bandwidth needed for transmission, but when you UNZIP the file at the other end, the contents are identical to the original file. You could say that our HD over IP solution ZIIP's and UNZIP's the HDMI data. Don't let the bloated HDMI specification distract you from the reality of what is being provided to consumers as HD entertainment.

Colm, on more than one occasion you have opened a post with saying you have not seen the Just Add Power video quality, and then offer some opinion on what our video quality will be. If you can let me know where you are located, we can point you to a nearby Just Add Power installation where you can see it with your own eyes. Then you will be able to offer an informed opinion.

Ed Qualls - Just Add Power
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I have seen the JustAddPower products in action at CEDIA - the 2G product produces an excellent image. Side to side comparisons in their booth, the results are very good. I can't recall if I was able to discern a difference between the before/after on the 2G - which means I probably couldn't under trade-show conditions... You may be able to tell a difference, but it would be very subtle, and not objectionable.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nded View Post

Then you will be able to offer an informed opinion.
There you go trying to use rhetoric to sell your product again, attacking the messenger instead of refuting the argument. One does not have to see the product in operation to know that the product uses lossy compression. The advertised data rate is all one needs. I have never said that the second generation product is good or bad, just that it isn't HDMI over IP, because it uses a compressed signal and there is no guarantee that you get out exactly what you put in. The weasel worded claim of "visually lossless" for the product is not the same as lossless. Comparing it to ZIP encoding of text, which is lossless, is misleading. I don't doubt that the second generation prouct works adequately for some users for some purposes such as BD. OTOH I also know that it would fail miseably for some purposes with uncompressed content.

What is funny is you defensiveness. If the product is as good as you say it is, one would think that you wouldn't be worried about someone explaining some of the facts about it.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 14
Any results on how this has performed in the market? My installer is also recommending this, Leaf, or hydra connect. Any opinion on which is the most robust and or feature laden with the least in practice problems, handshakes etc?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page