Issues with AV matrix - can someone help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My house has structured cabling running to a central data room where I plan to keep my AV matrix and all AV equipment. However I am having issues.

My matrix is a SnapAV B-300 and the baluns are B-300 HDMatrix- RCVR.

If I have the matrix in room A with a TV ( new Panasonic 60" plasma) and a balun in the same room, the cable path goes direct to the balun attached to the 60" and also goes through a patch panel in room B and ends at a balun attached to a TV ( old 42" Panasonic plasma) in room C – then the picture on the 42" is crystal clear but the 60", in the same room as the matrix, has banding and flickers and has an occasional pinkish hue.

However if I reverse the set up and use the exact same cable path, Matrix + balun to 42" in room C, cables run through patch panel in room B and then into a balun in room A feeding the 60" – then in this scenario both TV's are crystal clear.

I just dont get it!

Ideally, I want to keep the matrix and all AV componentry in the data room ( room B) – but when I do I get banding and flickering in room A and crystal clear picture in room C.

Are there any gurus here that can offer any assistance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I've read this several times and still don't understand what you're doing... Are you trying to connect multiple displays to a single matrix output? Are you using baluns on some display runs and not others?

You absolutely can and should have all the gear together for a matrix setup - the displays are the only things that should be remote. I don't know about the SnapAV unit in particular, but if you're connecting two displays to both the Cat5 and HDMI outputs of a single zone (as opposed to different matrix outputs), that could explain the behavior.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
@Jautor: He is saying he has Matrix with two cat5 outputs to two baluns to two TVs...the matrix is in the same room as one TV so the cat5 is direct...to get to the other room it goes through a patch panel in a third room. When he uses that configuration with matrix in the first room (reaching the second room via the patch panel), he has a problem. When he reverses it and puts the matrix in the second room (now reaching the first via the patch panel), he has no problem.

@drarthur: Are you using the exact same cables and same spots on the patch panel when you reverse it? Are you keeping the balun with the tv when you reverse it or are you swapping them? I agree that's pretty strange...there's no reason it should matter which direction you go.

If you have matrix in room A and don't connect the other display at all, do you have a problem? If so, try the other balun. If both baluns fail for that TV with no other displays connected, try a different output port on the matrix. You may just have a busted matrix and need to RMA it....or one of the baluns may be bad. Try the various combinations.

If the TV works fine, and it only starts failing when you add the second display, that's equally bizarre. Are they trying to show the same source? IF so, try different sources and see if the problem persists. If so, I'd say again matrix is busted and needs RMA. If it goes away, maybe your source is somehow the cause. Can you show ANY source to both displays at the same time without issue?

It's hard to really say what's going on...if you can provide some of the answers to my various questions, we may be able to say with more certainty what is happening and what you should do. Just try all the possibilities and report what works and what doesn't. Good luck!
post #4 of 9 Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

@Vyrolan, you're a better cryptologist than I! biggrin.gif

Does the behavior change if you connect the local display via HDMI (not the balun)? What if only the "problem" TV is connected to the matrix?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 9 Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

I resolved the problem. The patch cables I used were ones that I made myself. Today i went out and bought some new cat 6 patch cables and the result gives me a flawless image on all 4 TV's.

One issue I am having - The B-300 matrix has 4 outputs for IR blasters, the baluns each have one IR receiver. I was of the opinion that each blaster can be assigned to a particular component. But it seems that each IR blaster is assigned to each room rather than the equipment. - or have I set it up incorrectly?
post #6 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drarthur View Post

I resolved the problem. The patch cables I used were ones that I made myself. Today i went out and bought some new cat 6 patch cables and the result gives me a flawless image on all 4 TV's.

One issue I am having - The B-300 matrix has 4 outputs for IR blasters, the baluns each have one IR receiver. I was of the opinion that each blaster can be assigned to a particular component. But it seems that each IR blaster is assigned to each room rather than the equipment. - or have I set it up incorrectly?
That is right. That particular matrix does NOT do IR routing...it gives you a summed output of all the IR (via the All IR Out jack) and then it gives you outputs from each room, but it does not do any kind of IR routing based on what sources are playing. All of my gear has distinct IR codes so I just run the All IR Out to a connecting block and then emitters on all the gear. If you have multiple devices that share IR codes though, you're going to have a problem.

That is the big downside with the SnapAV one. It's nice that it only uses a single Cat6 cable for both HDMI and IR, and it's nice that it has bidirectional IR, but the lack of IR routing can be a big problem for some setups. The Octava one (http://octavainc.com/HDMI%20Ethernet%20matrix%20switch%204x4.html) is similar and has IR routing but requires two Cat6 to be run (and doesn't have bidirectional IR back to the rooms).
post #7 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

That is right. That particular matrix does NOT do IR routing...it gives you a summed output of all the IR (via the All IR Out jack) and then it gives you outputs from each room, but it does not do any kind of IR routing based on what sources are playing.

I read that as well, and I find it bizarre... What would you do with individual room IR outputs at the rack? Or more importantly, why would they do that INSTEAD of source-based IR routing? Since the whole point of a matrix is to share sources, why would you be repeating IR to room-specific gear through a matrix?

post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

That is right. That particular matrix does NOT do IR routing...it gives you a summed output of all the IR (via the All IR Out jack) and then it gives you outputs from each room, but it does not do any kind of IR routing based on what sources are playing.

I read that as well, and I find it bizarre... What would you do with individual room IR outputs at the rack? Or more importantly, why would they do that INSTEAD of source-based IR routing? Since the whole point of a matrix is to share sources, why would you be repeating IR to room-specific gear through a matrix?
Yes I agree it's quite bizarre. The only theory I have for how it came to be is that they had just a plain HDMI matrix without IR and modified it to have cat6 extender built-in and just attached ports for the bidirectional IR of their extenders.

The individual room outputs are close to useless for a lot of setups...the only real use is to connect them to a separate IR routing device outside the matrix...they seem to be targetting heavy duty automation systems since they really push their RS232 control and integration with Control4, Crestron, etc. I guess their argument is it's easiest to just provide bidirectional path and let the control system figure out all the routing. /shrug
post #9 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up plugging an Episode IR repeater to the All Out jack and then put a flasher onto each source. It's working well so no other complaints regarding this, provided it keeps working.

I cannot understand why they would not have IR routing in this model, I believe the older B-210 had routing.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page