Ethernet over Coax question, will this work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A gentlemen in another thread was kind enough to turn me on to the concept of Ethernet over Coax, which I've been researching to solve a problem of not being able to run a cable through the walls.

Slide1.jpg

So basically what you see above is the layout of what I'm looking to do utlizing the moca technology. The goal is to hard-wire the Apple TV downstairs and still keep my router/modem and NAS where they are.

Will this setup work and will it allow me to stream HD video from the NAS to the Apple TV? eek.gif

I Golf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Glad you decided to go the easy route... biggrin.gif

Yes, it'll work. Although your diagram isn't quite right. If the coax run to the other room isn't being used for anything, you just install the MoCA bridge on either side, and connect it to your Ethernet network (so a patch cable from it to your router).

If you want to use that coax run for cableTV as well, then you split and inject the MoCA signal into the house wiring.

Here's a huge thread on the subject:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1145636/actiontec-mi424wr-a-cheap-moca-bridge-for-all#post_16424022

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The coax run coming in from the left is where the line comes into the house. So literally this is all the network is running. I have no Cable TV, everything is streamed via the NAS and HTPC. So I just need to make sure I can get the internet to my modem/router and then stream backwards to the Apple TV.

So with this being said, where would I need to place the adapters? I'm still sort of lost on this concept, even after 2 days of research.

Thanks so much

I Golf
post #4 of 4 Old 11-22-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 376
It's a bridge in and out, so given the path now, I think your diagram is fine, except you'll add an Ethernet cable between your router and the MoCA bridge/adapter. Think of that first bridge as just another Ethernet device attached to your router.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page