Advice on whole house audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been a long time DIY'er of home and car Audio.

I'm getting ready to upgrade my whole house audio system and wanted some advice.

My situation: I have a 10,000+ SF home that was built 15+ years ago. It was originally wired for whole house audio with 46 total speakers (23 pairs) all with impedendence matching volume control and home run to a basement room. I am currently running the system connected to a single amplifier through a large Phoenix Gold impedance matching speaker junction box (was there when I bought the house). It doesn't get a lot of use due to single source and lack of good control options. There is not Cat 5 or anything else run in the house except RG6 to tv locations, and I've been trying to avoid major drywall work.

I've been waiting for good wifi and network control systems to become available before I upgrade to a real system. I'm now ready to Paul the trigger.

My plan:
HTD Lync 12 system with 3 12 channel amps and their no keypad control option (will be using smartphone and iPad mini to control). This will give me the right number of zones but the ability to control volume for most speaker pairs. I wil double up a few of the speaker pairs and hence volume for those pairs will be controlled together.

We will primarily listen to iTunes and satellite radio

Apple TV to access and control iTunes
how do I best access and control Sirius satellite and Pandora?
DIY remote control with iPad mini and other apple devices using iRule (will control this as well as my home theater and in the future lights, thermostats, etc.)

Any thoughts on this setup or anything else that I should be thinking about or concerned about?

Should I consider doing control4 instead for all of this?

I truly appreciate any thoughts or input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I would recommend a few Sonos:Connect units, which will be easier to use and will access all those sources. One per family member hooked as sources to your HTD amps would be a good no-keypad solution, since each 'zone' would likely stay on the primary user's Sonos, but you'd have the ability via the HTD app to change as needed...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 3 Old 11-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You beat me to it smile.gif Here is the link on HTD's website:

http://www.htd.com/site/wholehouse/chart/Sonos1_img.jpg

Sonos Connect thrown in with the Lync Systems is the way to go.

I am purchasing the Lync 6 Monday myself.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page