Advice on New Construction Wiring - Cat6 and Audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My wife and I are about to build a new home. We just signed yesterday in fact. Needless to say, we're pretty excited.

So, I met a neighbor who is about to move in, and he let it "slip" that he was able to do all his pre-wiring himself with a "wink-wink" from the Superintendent. (Technically, we're not supposed to be able to do any of our own wiring)

Now that I know this is possible, I am super excited that I can run as much cable as I want, but I am also a little flustered at all the configurations that are possible and all the future proofing to do. Adding to the pressure, the house will be done completely in 4 mos, so I don't have too much time to sit back and bask in joy. biggrin.gif

So, if you had it to do over, or even for the first time, what and how many cables would you run to each room in the house? I know I want whole house audio, probably a set of in-walls in each room. Also, at least one CAT 6 in each room. Should I plan on more than one CAT 6 for future automation? That's where I am a little fuzzy on what's needed for those kinds of options.

To give you an idea, here are the rooms that we'll have:

Floor 1:
Office
Dining
Guest Room
Great Room
Kitchen
Garage 1 (2 car)
Garage 2 (1 car)

Floor 2:
Owner's Suite
Owner's Bath
Bonus Room
Bedroom 2
Bedroom 3
Bedroom 4

Floor 3:
Unfinished for now. (future theater) biggrin.gif

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Congrats on the new build and the flexible project manager. Meet him/her as soon as possible, and become their best friend. Lots of things that are "impossible" from the builder's perspective can become "no big deal" if you have a good relationship with the PM.

As for wiring:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

You will probably only have a few days to a week window where you'll be able to run the wires yourself, so plan accordingly and get friends to help. Having folks that understand residential construction on-hand is a huge help.

Lots and lots of cat5e/cat6 wire. Pre-wire any room you can imagine for in-wall (more typically, in-ceiling) whole-house audio, along with cat5e wire to a volume control/keypad location. All this wire is dirt cheap, so run more than you think you'll ever need.

If you can get them to install a low-voltage-rated flex conduit from your wiring closet/panel to your 3rd floor for later use, that will be worth gold. Consider the same to "primary" A/V locations so you can add more cabling in the future.

Read that Wiki a few times, probably with your favorite adult beverage, and prepare for information overload.

Then come back and ask some stuff... biggrin.gif

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 15
Thanks for the link, some very good information indeed.

One thing that is giving some grief is where I am going to locate my wiring closet. I have a few options as I see it now.

1. I will be using a 3rd bedroom as my exercise room, and could possibly use the closet in that room as the wiring closet.

2. I could mount the rack in the owners walk in. (WAF approval required of course)

3. This is odd, so hang with me here. I was thinking about running all cables up to the un-finished 3rd floor and then back down to one of the 2 locations above. That way, I could put in a "temp" closet now, and then just move everything to the 3rd floor equipment closet later when I finish that room.

Think #3 is possible?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 10
That link is dead - any chance you still have it?

I am in framing on my new home... still trying to decide if its worth Cat6a or just stick with 5e

post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
http://cocoontech.com/forums/files/file/64-wiring-your-new-house-101/

Cat6 is more than good enough - 6A or beyond is probably overkill. I'd rather have additional drops in more places (or quantities at each location) for that money...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Liked: 10
Jautor -

Thanks for that. I was planning on doing 3-4 runs to living room and home office, and 2 runs everywhere else. Even planning Garage and Laundry room.

Asking for suggestions on cabling as always got good advice on Belden Rg-6, the Electrician is using Cat5 for Phone.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page