Zone 2 and 3 connections using to receivers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for guidance on zone 2 and 3 setup.

I plan to use my new TX-NR717 (7.2) as my pre-amp and my old TX-SR605 (5.1) as the amplifier for zones 2 and 3. The 717 has pre-amp outs for zones 2 and 3 as well as a powered zone 2. The 605 has a powered zone 2.

I’d like to have as much flexibility in source selection by zone a s possible. I am running 5.1 in the main room using the 717, but would like to leave the remaining 2 channels free in case I decide to expand later to 7.1.

What I was planning to do is zone 2 pre-amp out from the 717 into an analog input on the 605 (maybe CD). Then use the powered zone 2 on the 605 to power zone 2 speakers. For zone 3 speakers, I planned to use the front (R & L) channels on the 605.

Is there a better way to hook this up using a three zone set up with these two amplifiers?

I appreciate your expertise. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
The issue with this setup is going to be control... You'll have to manually turn on the 2nd AVR in order to use zone2/zone3, which makes it a pain to use - especially since it defeats the "app"-based remote control potential of the NR717.

Since the 717 has a powered zone2, and you're not using the 7.1 capability currently, I'd suggest selling the 605 and buying a simple 2-channel auto-on/off amp like the AudioSource AMP-100 for your zone3 (~$100). Use the powered zone2 for now - if you expand to use 7.1 later, buy another AMP-100 to take over the zone2 role.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This has been VERY helpful. Thank you. What about this? I have a TX NR717. For zone 3 I plan to wire the zone 3 pre-amp out to a Onkyo M-282 (line in) audio in and M-282 to zone 3 speakers. I'd like to add a powered sub in zone 3. Is it possible to use the M-282 audio's (R & L) out to send a signal to the powered subwoofer's (R & L) line in?
post #4 of 4 Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Yes, that should work fine. That's a larger amp than the one I suggested, but it's got triggers and auto-on/off, so it's a good answer.

Depending on your choice of subwoofer, it may have speaker-level inputs that can be looped in-line with the L/R speakers from the amp output. Either line or speaker-level will work - whichever works better with your wiring setup.

I have a powered sub in one zone, doing essentially the same setup - I used a MuxLab audio-over-cat5 balun to feed audio to the powered sub, as it's placed nowhere near the speaker wiring, but I had plenty of cat5 lines handy.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page