Building a new home and need some "prewire" advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably been asked before so at the risk of getting attacked by the "do a search" crowd, here goes....... eek.gif

We are building a new home (3 levels and just under 7K sq feet). What is common practice to prewire for current and future needs? WIfe is trying to make sure I don't blow the budget on wasted wiring when those funds could be spent elsewhere but I sure don't want to hear a year after moving in that we wish we had an outlet in a certain place, room, etc..

I have been so far behind the times on what is current so I could really use some help here. I was thinking that I need to have Cat5 and RG6 run to as many places as possible. The theatre will be on the top level and just outside the theatre will be an A/V closet to house all the home's electronics as well as all the wiring I have run into a structured box.

Any suggestions as to what and where I should make sure to have run while we are in the build process???

Thanks so much for any input in advance! wink.gif

Cheers,
Ray Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 09:22 PM

Liked: 21
With that size of a new build I'd definitely recommended getting a couple quotes from pros in your area.

That said, we get asked these kinds of questions a lot. It's perfectly valid to avoid 'overkill' wire pulling. But what is overkill for one client may be just enough for another. Depends on what you want out of your system. Just remember, a majority of the cost for a Pre-wire is incurred just by getting the job planned and boots on the ground. The cost doesn't necessarily increase linearly, if that makes sense. When in doubt, wire for it!

Some other important (and often overlooked) things to consider early on:

- Hiring a company that provides thorough documentation (ask to see an example)

- Make sure everything gets run to a central location (electricians like to daisy chain, that's a no no)

- Plan for adequate space and cooling / ventilation for all equipment! This gets overlooked all the time!

Just my two (or three) cents

Good luck!
JG
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Do a search... I mean, you probably don't even have to search this forum. Close your eyes and click on a random thread and you'll probably get the same question... cool.gif

I'll save you the first obvious answer:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

And it will be very difficult to "overwire" with this crowd. biggrin.gif

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 4 Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Just wanted to update my thread. Talked to my builder and since we are building full custom I was able to convince them smile.gif to bring on a sub that specializes in home wiring for clients that are after exactly what I am. We have already met and discussed my needs and they put together a quote for not only what we want and need but for a bunch of extra "future use" wiring. I was worried that the "wiring" guy my builder used (1) wouldn't comprehend the level of prewire I was after; and (2) wouldn't be as meticulous as the custom company we are using with respect to proper run (i.e., not zip tied to power lines, etc eek.gif )

Very happy with where we are going forward with this.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page