Help, Analysis Paralysis - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had pretty much decided on the HTD Lync 6 zone 6 source system. I convinced myself that Line in at every controller, and intercom compensated for lack of metadata/music server. I stopped in at my local home audio store to look at some of the competition I have been reading about and they have a older nuvo concerto that is their floor/demo model. They offered it at half price (comes with 6 keypads AND the music server ALL for what I would pay for the HTD Lync (1999.00) They are a licensed distributor and would give full warranty.

Thoughts on just these two systems? I cannot at this time go nuts and spend much more. I want to utilize the whole house set up for music and would like to have audio from the tv distributable to other areas. Down the road I would like to add full video distribution.

Side note: Intercom is necessary (lots of little kids in different rooms too far away for wireless monitors) any additional thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

My situation is I have a house which is wired in every room with cat 5 and cat 6. Two Speakers in the ceiling for each of 6 rooms. I need to not make the wrong choice in receiver/amplifier.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
NuVo Concerto or GRAND Concerto? (If the keypads have, well, lots of buttons and a small green screen, it's the former). The M3 music server that (I think) worked with the original Concerto is very limited and way out of date, with no Internet music sources, which, IMO, is a necessity if you're buying a media server today.

Given a choice of the original Concerto and a Lync coupled with, say, some Sonos sources, I'd go with the Lync/Sonos. And if intercom is a priority, that makes the decision simpler...

EDIT: The built-in MP3 player is about as capable as the NuVo M3 - but given that those are both equally limited, I'd still go with the Lync at the same price. Current, supported, new product vs. really old, used, discontinued.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff. I appreciated your responses on my other thread as well. My other issue with intercom is that I have more rooms needing intercom than I have in ceiling speakers. So Lync is good but does not perfectly solve that issue. I assume I can do my audio on the cat 6 and use the cat 5 solely for intercom?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

None of these systems will care at all about cat6 vs. cat5e (and they'd be fine with plain cat5, too - they're using the commonly-available wire with 8 conductors, more than the twisted pair properties).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Forgive my ignorance but how/why would I use the sonos. Would it be in the stack or located in a room?
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Sonos makes a great source to a WHA system like the Lync... Locate the un-amplified (Sonos:Connect) unit(s) at the stack...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page