How many Sonos Amps. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am about to move into a new house and am trying to verify a setup recommendation.
I have control4 being installed with a C4 audio matrix
Niles 6 Zone amp
Niles speakers in 6 zones
Sonos Play 5 x2
Sonos Play 3 x2

If I want to listen to the exact same thing say MOG on all zones using Sonos my questions are.

How many if any Sonos amps do I need?
How do they integrate into the system? Do they connect to the audio matrix or elsewhere?
If I want what I am watching on TV to be distributed to all sources does this change anything?

I know these are probably simple questions but I don't know the answer. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Q
post #3 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 335
If you're paying for a Control4 installation, these are really questions the dealer/integrator should be answering for you...

I don't know why they'd be using a Play unit instead of a Sonos:Connect for a source into a Niles amp / Control4 audio router.

A Sonos unit for a distributed audio system is a "source". You can listen to any source in any room. The number of sources you need will depend on how many different things you want simultaneously. A good rule of thumb is one per adult/teen in the household, and then adjust from there. Meaning, if there's only two people in the house, you probably don't need the ability to listen to more than 2 things at a time...

You can distribute any analog audio source, but you have to get that audio to where the system resides. Sonos units can help with this, but without knowing all the system details / layout, don't know if this will be easy or hard. Again, if you don't understand how all this integrates, you really need to have a conversation with the integrator, before you fork over money for something that doesn't meet your expectations.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. Let's just assume for now I am verifying what my installer is telling me....

They aren't using anything yet..
The play3 and play5 I have at my curren t house with a simple setup. My question still is do I need more than one Zp90 or zp120"

Tell me what else you need to know and I will provide. Thanks for helping me out
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're trying to build a whole-house audio system, the Sonos:Play units aren't really much help. I suppose you could use them as sources using the headphone jack, but that will be more difficult to control (and isn't really meant for that purpose).

You don't need any Connect:Amp (zp120) units, the Connect (Zp90) is the correct choice. Quantity is as I described above. I think you could use one of your Play units to send TV audio back to the Connect unit(s), if they work like the rest of the Sonos gear...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Jeff.

I just want to be able to listen to the same thing at the same time on all of my Sonos play3/5 and my miles in ceiling speakers.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspears02 View Post

I just want to be able to listen to the same thing at the same time on all of my Sonos play3/5 and my miles in ceiling speakers.

Then one. And don't know why you'd need the Control4 pieces at all...

post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Video matrix home automation
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page