Sending iPhone/iPad music to system in another room - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home A/V Distribution > Sending iPhone/iPad music to system in another room

Home A/V Distribution

snmhanson's Avatar snmhanson
11:03 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 9
12-04-2012 | Posts: 108
I am trying to figure out how to integrate an iPad/iPod into a Russound whole-house audio system (CAM6.6), so that we can send music from an iDevice without having to be in the same room as the Russound hub. I would like to be able to either dock the device in a remote location away from the multi-room hub, or better yet, just wirelessly send the music direct from the device to a hub that feeds into the system.

Airplay sounds similar to what I am after except that I am not sure how it would work with a foreign iDevice such as if my friend brings over his iPhone. I have the Russound iPod dock and it almost accomplishes what I want, the only problem is that once docked, you lose local control of the device and can only play playlists via the Russound keypads. Anyone know how I can accomplish this? I do have a robust ethernet network throughout the house that I could tap into, and also a wifi network as means of transferring the info. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
jautor's Avatar jautor
01:17 PM Liked: 380
post #2 of 9
12-04-2012 | Posts: 8,322
Apple Airport Express. If you want it to be accessible to guests, you could just have it on WiFi only (no wired connection) and leave the wireless security off. User then connects to the WiFi net and Airplay does the rest. Only issue with that is the guest's iDevice wouldn't have WiFi Internet access at the same time.

I'd just put the AE on my network, and provide the friend access to your WiFi network for this purpose. "Guest access" is for, well, guests, not friends. biggrin.gif (assuming your friends can be trusted!)

Apple and others are also working on an Airplay Direct (probably not the final name) to allow exactly this type of access - guests to be able to stream content from their iDevice to an A//V system.

Jeff
02:03 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 9
Thanks for the info. Airport Express looks interesting. To paraphrase, if I understand correctly I could use it as a dedicated Airplay "gateway" by setting it up as it's own network and not connecting it to the main home network. The downside being that if you are connected to it on a device, you wouldn't be able to be connected to our main network/internet, and you would have to manually change from the Airplay network to the home network? That is workable, but not ideal.

I did some research into Airplay Direct and that looks very promising. Not sure exactly how it works, but sounds like it is exactly what I am after. Will it essentially maintain a seperate network connection (like a sub or secondary connection) that would be independant from any other network connection that is open? Sounds like it would still transmit the Airplay info over Wifi and not some other wireless protocol. In any case, I can't wait for it to come out.

Matt
jautor's Avatar jautor
02:12 PM Liked: 380
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

Thanks for the info. Airport Express looks interesting. To paraphrase, if I understand correctly I could use it as a dedicated Airplay "gateway" by setting it up as it's own network and not connecting it to the main home network. The downside being that if you are connected to it on a device, you wouldn't be able to be connected to our main network/internet, and you would have to manually change from the Airplay network to the home network? That is workable, but not ideal.

Correct.
Quote:
I did some research into Airplay Direct and that looks very promising. Not sure exactly how it works, but sounds like it is exactly what I am after. Will it essentially maintain a seperate network connection (like a sub or secondary connection) that would be independant from any other network connection that is open? Sounds like it would still transmit the Airplay info over Wifi and not some other wireless protocol. In any case, I can't wait for it to come out.
Matt

Not sure - but since the goal is to throw content from the device to a display/audio system, it would seem a shame if it only worked for local content stored on the guest's device.

The other option to look at is a bluetooth audio receiver (Belkin and other have one), which if in range for the wireless link, wouldn't have the WiFi issues above... And will also work with non-Apple (stuff without Airplay) gear.

Jeff
03:49 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 9
Thanks again for all of the info. I have been looking at Airport Express a bit more and the Apple website makes it seem like you can set it up with both a secure connection where you get full access to your home network, as well as guest access with only internet access. Is that accurate or can you only do one or the other? That would seem to solve my problems if you could concurrently offer both types of connections.

I also have a couple other questions concerning Airport Express. First, if I have other wireless access points around the house with the same password what will keep my phone/ipad/ipod from logging on via those access points when I am trying to stream my music? Or does it not matter? Will the music stream reach the Airport Express regardless of where I am connected to the network? Also, if someone is steaming music from one device what happens if another person tries to start streaming from another device? Will the be "locked out" until the active stream is terminated? Will it take over the stream? Will both devices play at the same time?

Thanks,

Matt
jautor's Avatar jautor
04:32 PM Liked: 380
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmhanson View Post

Thanks again for all of the info. I have been looking at Airport Express a bit more and the Apple website makes it seem like you can set it up with both a secure connection where you get full access to your home network, as well as guest access with only internet access. Is that accurate or can you only do one or the other?

Only one or the other, at least in terms of the Airplay support. The "client mode" is probably what you'd use...
Quote:
I also have a couple other questions concerning Airport Express. First, if I have other wireless access points around the house with the same password what will keep my phone/ipad/ipod from logging on via those access points when I am trying to stream my music? Or does it not matter? Will the music stream reach the Airport Express regardless of where I am connected to the network?

Using as I described, you'd want it to give the AE a different SSID if you want the Airplay to be available to guests without gaining access to the network. From your own usability perspective, I'd really think about just solving this for yourself and not worrying about guest access - unless that really happens a lot for you...
Quote:
Also, if someone is steaming music from one device what happens if another person tries to start streaming from another device? Will the be "locked out" until the active stream is terminated? Will it take over the stream? Will both devices play at the same time?

Don't remember the behavior - I think it'll reject additional connections if it's "in use".
rpg51's Avatar rpg51
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 9
12-04-2012 | Posts: 1
I've been using an Airport Express wired to my main home rounter/network and wired to my stereo receiver. It works very well. To send content from laptop I use either airplay enabled applications (iturnes for example) or if I stream public radio or pandora or rhapsody I use this great little app called Airfoil. Highly recommended. Airfoil lets you steam anything you can play on your computer to your airport express. Very stable and useful app. I can also send content from iphones and ipads.
07:28 AM Liked: 10
post #8 of 9
12-05-2012 | Posts: 108
Once again, thanks for all of the feedback and info. I think I am going to give Airport Express a shot. It's not that expensive and I am sure that even if I end up replacing it down the line I will find a good use for it. Not sure how I will handle the guest issue yet. I wouldn't have any issues providing most guests with our password and we live on five acres, so it's not exactly easy for people to hijack our network - even if they do know the wireless password.

Matt
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 9
12-05-2012 | Posts: 108
Alright, I went out an bought an Airport Express and after a few tries got it integrated into my network. I considered setting up a separate network with it but quickly realized that would be a total PIA having to switch back and forth between networks. In any case I have it working quite seamlessly with my network and am able to stream from my computer, iPhone and iPads. Pretty cool. There are only a couple issues that I think I'll just have to live with for now.

First, I am transitioning to iRule as the remote for all my home systems. If I am streaming music via Airplay and switch to iRule on the same device, the Airplay stream is paused once I start iRule. Not a big deal as I can just use a separate iDevice or remote and keep the stream flowing. Think I may post on the iRule board to see if there is a workaround to this, though I think it is a limitation of the iPhone/Pad.

Second, I have the Airport Express set up on my existing home network. As previously discussed I will have to provide the password to any guests who may want to stream music. Once again, not a big deal as there aren't many people who come by that I would hesitate to provide the password to. Hopefully once Airplay Direct comes out this issue (as well as the previous issue) will be resolved. The good news is that it looks like I only have to be connected at some point on my network and not necessarily in range of the Airport Express to stream music. This is compared to if I had set it up as a separate network where I would need to be in range of the AE.

Ultimately I would like to be able to set up an open guest access point for music streaming and internet access. However, I would also like to be able to integrate the router into our network with the proper password so I could stream content from any device while concurrently allowing for another connection such as to iRule. Until that becomes possible I am quite happy with what I have now though.

Matt
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Subscribe to this Thread