Do I need a receiver to connect two devices (dvd player + cable box) to a TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The title pretty much says it all.

Sorry for the noob question but I am finding that a receiver is essential in this case but want to double check to make sure I'm not insane and missing something simpler. I've looked at splitters but I'm not sure if they would be a good solution. I do not have a stereo system to worry about, I only want to connect these two devices (or more in the future) to the TV, using the TV as a dumb displaying device for these things (like a monitor to a computer).

Any suggestions/advice? It's much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
No, you don't. You can run everything through the TV.

The questions for you are, what type of connections do your devices have? And, does your TV have enough of those connections?
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for the response. I will need to double check the back of the TV for additional inputs (outside of component). The cable box did not have an HDMI input, but im guessing the dvd player does as it is also a blu-ray player, and it's possible I may be able to just hookup HDMI between the tv and the dvd player.

Outside of that however, what is an alternative solution if there were not enough inputs (hypothetical question)?
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by idesigner View Post

Outside of that however, what is an alternative solution if there were not enough inputs (hypothetical question)?

An HDMI switch (or a more-general A/V selector/switch). But any A/V receiver (AVR) would provide that function and a whole lot more for any money invested in an external switchbox.

Any TV purchased in the last few years should have at least 2, more likely 3 HDMI inputs, as well as many other inputs. I don't know of any set that wouldn't have enough connections for 2 devices. If your cable box doesn't have HDMI (but is HDTV-capable), it will have Component video, and the TV should have at least one Component video input.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm guessing your TV has at least 2 HDMI. Sounds like you need 1 HDMI and 1 component, which I'd bet your TV has.

On my old TV, I had 1 component input, and 2 or 3 component devices (at the time) and I just bought a component switch from Monoprice. It has IR so with my Harmony remote, I was never the wiser. smile.gif
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page