Multi Zone Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm a newbie to the A/V scene. I bought a house two years ago that was wired for speakers in the living room, several rooms, and patio. Everywhere with the exception of the livingroom is also wired for volume control.

From what I've seen, I need a receiver capable of multiple zones and a speaker selector box. The living room will attach to the receiver and the speaker selector box will wore to the zone 2 of the receiver and the speakers from the other rooms will go to the speaker selector box. Right? I also understand that best option would be impedance matching volume controls in the rooms.

My question is this. The rooms will mostly be used for listening to music which will come from Apple TV. I've seen where in this setup the speaker selector will only play to devices hooked up by analog to the receiver. Is this outdated info?

Feeling like I can do this set up on my own, but also feeling a little overwhelmed. Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 13
What's your end goal? Do you want to be able to play multiple sources of music across multiple zones (and not always the same music in each zone)?

Assuming the above, I'd reccommend going with Sonos. A Sonos amp, which can power a couple sets of speakers, will cost you $500. Each Sonos amp is essentially 1 zone. So, for each amp, you can have a different source of music playing. Or, they can all play the same music. And it connects to your iTunes so you won't have to use the airplay. And it's all controlled from your iPhone / iPad / Android.

In the LR, do you have a 5.1 speaker setup? If so, you'll want to get an AVR for the LR and use the Sonos Connect for that zone. Same thing as the amp except it doesn't power your speakers, it just sends the music to them through your amp.

There are other solutions, but this is by far the easiest. You literally plug the speakers in, turn on the power, and press the connect button. 1-2-3 and you're done. And you can work with your budget. If you only have 1k to spend now, start with 2 amps and add on as you want.
post #3 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

My end goal is to play from multiple sources in multiple rooms. The living room is set up for 5.1. I'd like to have the option of watching tv in the living room and listing to music in different rooms.

Was the set up I mentioned feasible? My budget is probably $2k - $3k
post #4 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I don't anticipate wanting to play different music in different zones at the same time.
post #5 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Rossovich View Post

I'm a newbie to the A/V scene. I bought a house two years ago that was wired for speakers in the living room, several rooms, and patio. Everywhere with the exception of the livingroom is also wired for volume control.
From what I've seen, I need a receiver capable of multiple zones and a speaker selector box. The living room will attach to the receiver and the speaker selector box will wore to the zone 2 of the receiver and the speakers from the other rooms will go to the speaker selector box. Right? I also understand that best option would be impedance matching volume controls in the rooms.

Yes. Many receivers have Zone2 functionality - the less-expensive models will require you to purchase an external amp to power the zone2 output. Higher-end receivers will have either dedicated zone2 amp channels or more likely, will give you the choice of 7.1 or 5.1 + zone2. Volume controls and/or a speaker selector then connect the other rooms. And yes, you'll need an impedance-matching device somewhere in that chain if you're connecting several pairs of speakers.
Quote:
My question is this. The rooms will mostly be used for listening to music which will come from Apple TV. I've seen where in this setup the speaker selector will only play to devices hooked up by analog to the receiver. Is this outdated info?

That is true for many AVRs, but some recent models have added digital support to zone2 - but you will have to do careful research to ensure it will do that. If not, there are inexpensive outboard D/A converters that will make it work...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:02 AM

I'd go the Sonos route. Get a Sonos connect to hook up to your 5.1 AVR and a couple Sonos Amps to power your other sets of speakers. You'll be hooked up in no time. Check out their website for more information.
post #7 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. Ill check out sonos, but it looks like it might be too much equipment. I don't want a different amp for all 5 Zones.

Do you know of any AVRs that have zone 2 with digital capacity? How would the D/A converter work with the Apple TV?
post #8 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

One other question, so to get all sources to be able to play on both zones, I could run analog and hdmi from the source to the avr? Apple TV has hdmi and optical, but I've seen an optical converter that I could run to the avr from the Apple TV in additional to
The hdmi.
post #9 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Any suggestions on AVR, zone selectors, or volume controls?
post #10 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 AM

What are your plans for your other three zones? And do the speakers homerun to an AV closet or central location? A 7.2 AVR isn't going to help if your speakers don't homerun to some central location.
post #11 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

They all run to the same spot, in the living room.
post #12 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you know of any AVRs that have zone 2 with digital capacity? How would the D/A converter work with the Apple TV?

If you have only one digital-only source (AppleTV), and use an inexpensive outboard D/A, it won't matter. New AVR models from the major brands will be the ones that will likely have digital source support for Zone2 (check on models from Denon, Onkyo).
Quote:

One other question, so to get all sources to be able to play on both zones, I could run analog and hdmi from the source to the avr? Apple TV has hdmi and optical, but I've seen an optical converter that I could run to the avr from the Apple TV in additional to
The hdmi.

Yes, that's the answer to two of your questions. The optical converter you mention is a DAC, like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

Quote:

Any suggestions on AVR, zone selectors, or volume controls?

Inexpensive volume controls tend to do a crappy job of impedance-matching. So I'd suggest an impedance-matching speaker selector, and then any volume controls in the rooms. PartsExpress has a number of speaker selectors. Aton has a more advanced unit with remote control capabilities, for example, but without keypad support in the zones, it's not as useful...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #13 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I saw a Denon AVR with AirPlay. I suppose that would give me same functionality with respect to music as my Apple TV. I will probably go that route along with the converter you mentioned.

I really appreciate your help. Feeling like I can do this now.
post #14 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Add in this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

That will power your other sets of speakers, and even allow you to use multiple sources at the same time should you choose to.
post #15 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Would you use the amp in addition to the speaker selector?

AVR (zone 2) to Amp to Speaker Selector?
post #16 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM

No, don't need the speaker selector. Just go AVR zone 2 Out to Bus in on that amp. You can
post #17 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

What's the advantage of the amp over the speaker selector?

Lots of options and we haven't even mentioned speakers yet.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM

You still need an amp with a speaker selector.
post #19 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the advantage of the amp over the speaker selector?
Lots of options and we haven't even mentioned speakers yet.

A multichannel amp, while more expensive than a speaker selector and 2-channel amp (generally speaking), will give you the future flexibility to expand your system into a "whole house audio" setup, allowing different sources to be played in different rooms. If you choose an AVR with zone2 and zone3 support, for example. Or add the HTD MC-66 to have all six potential zones running independent (coupled with their Net controller, one of the cheapest ways to go...)

post #20 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so hardware I'm looking at the Denon AVR-1913 or 1713. And, instead of a speaker selector a multichannel amp like the Dayton one linked above or the HTD-MC-66. No speaker selector. But will need some volume controls.

Sound right?
post #21 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:24 AM

No, there's no sound at all actually... you forgot speakers.

I know, I know.... cheesy... but I had to!
post #22 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Haha! True. I'm open to suggestions on flush mount in ceiling speakers for the living room, other rooms and patio. Obviously willing to pay more for those in livig room.
post #23 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

The amp will connect to the avr just like a speaker selector.
post #24 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Sooo many speaker options!! If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, check out the monoprice in ceiling speakers. Haven't heard them myself, but they get great reviews. Will probably use them for parts of my setup, and then Sonance for the 5.1 in the LR.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:

The amp will connect to the avr just like a speaker selector.

Take the Zone 2 Line Out from the AVR and plug it into the multichannel amp (e.g. Bus 1). Going into the AVR will be your Airplay, Blu Ray Player, etc.
post #26 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

Add in this: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-815

That will power your other sets of speakers, and even allow you to use multiple sources at the same time should you choose to.

Does the amp come with a control. How do you change what device is playing in what zone?
post #27 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the amp come with a control. How do you change what device is playing in what zone?

The amp can be set to auto-power on/off, and then you can control source selection, etc. via the AVR. Most new AVRs with network connections have matching apps for iPhone and Android that will control Zone2.

post #28 of 33 Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Kim, if you're going to continue to suggest that he go with CasaCrap for his setup, can you at least be honest about who you are?

http://www.casatunes.com/multi-room-audio/index.php/about-us/our-history/

Jautor and I are providing suggestions that are biased based upon our experiences whereas your suggestions are biased because you're a co-founder of CasaTools. Next time, be up front about it.
post #29 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. So instead of turning off Zones at the speaker box, I'd control from the rooms themselves. I could still watch TV in living room and listen to another source throughout the house
post #30 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM

That's correct. Send the AVR to Bus 1 and the AirPlay to Bus 2 and you'll be all set. You'll have to manually switch the sources for the rooms at the box, but this is a good and easy solution for relatively low cost.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page