wireless stereo transmitter/receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm looking to distribute audio from the components in my theater room to various rooms throughout the house (including patio/outdoors) - and I want to do it without running a bunch of speaker wires and/or CAT5 (etc.) control cables.

Ideally, I'm looking for an interference-free wireless transmitter that can simultaneously send to multiple receiver-amplifiers with very good fidelity. Each receiver-amp should be hidden (in-wall or in the attic or a closet) and controlled either via a standard wall-plate controller or via a very simple remote control. On/off/mute and volume up/down is all the control I need.

If this can't be done (or can't be done affordably), I'm perfectly willing to kludge it together as a DIY project. I've considered getting an FM stereo transmitter and putting good old-fashioned stereo receivers in the attic/closets with IR repeaters for controlling them.I've also thought about using UPNP/DLNA and network receivers (again, in the attic/closets with IR repeaters for controlling them) - but all the network receivers I've seen are for home theater use and therefore multi-channel. Overkill for my application. I've thought about wireless transmitter/receiver combos feeding basic amplifiers but I'm not sure how to control volume in that scenario.

If I have to, I'm willing to run a CAT5 cable to each remote zone, but I'd rather not.

There must be a simple, affordable way to accomplish this. I'd sure like to hear from anyone who has accomplished it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Sonos unit for each zone, use the line input to feed content from the theater, if you really need to do that. But as they can get to digital content and the Internet streaming/radio sources, you might be covered without even involving the theater.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Steps from the beach in Margaritaville (a state of mind between Inebriation and Sahuarita), AZ
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Nope. The wife wants ceiling speakers. No box speakers sitting around.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Sonos:connect Amp(s) in a remote location powering in-ceiling speakers. I didn't mean the self contained Play units...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^

What Jautor said re: Sonos Connect Amps. Each one costs $500 so it could get a bit pricey depending on how many zones you're going to have. Note that with the Sonos, one amp can power a couple sets of speakers if you choose. Additionally, for each amp, you create a new zone that is capable of playing its own source.

That said, you could get a single multichannel amp such as this (http://www.htd.com/whole-house-audio/mid-level-whole-house-audio/MCA-66-Audio-Controller-Amplifier) which costs $800 and is a 12 channel, 6 source amp. Throw in the controller (http://www.htd.com/Products/wholehouse-audio-sytem-accessories/HTDNET-MC) for $150 and you can now wirelessly control all the music. So for about $1000 you'll have 6 zones and 6 sources versus the 3 zones and 3 sources that Sonos can provide at the same cost.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramin View Post

So for about $1000 you'll have 6 zones and 6 sources versus the 3 zones and 3 sources that Sonos can provide at the same cost.

While the HTD is a good system, "for the same cost" leaves him really at 6 zones and NO sources... The Sonos is a source, and some models also have a zone amp, for this setup.

Now, a combination of an HTD amp/controller and say 2-3 Sonos Connect (non-amplified) units as sources, and you've got a 3-source, 6-zone system. But it doesn't sound like the OP has any wiring in place, hence the 'wireless' request...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

post #7 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
for the same cost" leaves him really at 6 zones and NO sources...

Duh! I wasn't thinking. 6 inputs, not necessarily 6 sources.

Despite wanting all wireless, there isn't a "true" wireless solution. Everything needs power. I'm assuming you know that you'll have to run the speaker wire to some location where your amp is plugged into the wall. Or you'll have to run electricity behind your drywalls. Eithe way, you're going to have to tear into your wall / ceilings a little bit.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Are you out of the HTPC world now? If you use an HTPC for the source, you can get some Audioengine W3 dongles for your zones. This is a wireless DAC. Buy a cheap T-Amp from Parts Express for each zone. I would just leave it on with the volume set to max. Then use JRiver on the HTPC with either the Gizmo (Android) or JRemote (iPad/iPhone) app to control the zones (content and volume).

If your zones are mono, you only need three W3's. JRiver can treat the L and R outputs as separate zones. You would need to run the speaker wiring to an adjoining room, though.

The benefits are that you can use the HPTC, a laptop, or any other computer in the house to control any of the zones plus have control on a phone or tablet. You can use the ZoneSwitch feature in JRiver to automatically send content to certain zones. For example, you could have music that is tagged as Dinner Music that when selected always plays in the dining room or kitchen. All zones can play the same content, each zone can play its own individual content, or you can have a playlist that always goes to the same three zones, for example.
wildta likes this.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page