Sonos Integration to existing A/V Closet with 2 zone set-up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in process of upgrading my A/V closet with Sonos and have the freedom to listed to unlimited music and control all from iPad.

Current Set-up:

TV Room:
Zone 1 (Main Zone)

6 speaker Surrond Sound with powered Subwoefer all installed into the ceiling and wall.
Yamaha RX667 2 Zone Receiver
Universal Remote Custom programed for wathing TV or DVD, or apple TV or listening to music, for both Zone 1 and 2
Speaker Switch
Router (Wireless)
Apple TV
Directv Box
SUbwoofer Control Box

Zone 2 (Shared with individual wall installed volume control)
Outdoor ;4 speakers with 2 separate in wall volume controls
Dining Room : 2 Ceiling Speakers
Living Room: 2 Ceiling Speakers

All terminate in A/V Closet into the Speaker Switch and the Yamaha Receiver Zone 2 output.

Ideally I would like all 4 locations to have the option of different music selection by installing Sono 120 (4 of them) but my main concern is as follows:

1) How to integrate to TV Room as I am not sure if I need to reprogram the Universal Remote?
2) How to install multiple speakers from the outdoor speakers into a system where it allows only one pair to be installed?
3) Once installed does the in wall volume knobs pose an issue with the Sono system?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaqua55 View Post

1) How to integrate to TV Room as I am not sure if I need to reprogram the Universal Remote?

Put a Sonos:Connect (un-amplified) unit in your TV Room, add it as another source/activity on your remote, control with the iPad.
Quote:
2) How to install multiple speakers from the outdoor speakers into a system where it allows only one pair to be installed?

You'll want an impedance-matching speaker selector for multiple pairs, which it sounds like you already have. You'd just re-purpose that unit for just the 2 pairs of patio speakers.
Quote:
3) Once installed does the in wall volume knobs pose an issue with the Sono system?

Not an issue, but it does create two points of volume control. I'm assuming you're talking about adding 3-4 Sonos;Connect-Amp units. You'd probably want to just leave the volume controls turned all the way up, and adjust volume from the Sonos app.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Jeff, I am not sure how to reprogram the remote and prefer not to mess with it as the A/V company installed and programmed the remote is no longer in business. Can I still install the Zonos 90 and use iPad to control?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

What brand / model remote is it? If you're adding the Sonos as an additional source, you'll probably need to program the remote, unless there's "unused" sources leftover in the programming...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

What brand / model remote is it? If you're adding the Sonos as an additional source, you'll probably need to program the remote, unless there's "unused" sources leftover in the programming...

It is URC Professional MX-900 and i have no way of re-programming it as it is perfectly customized for my current system but adding the SONOS might be a different story, or maybe not?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Are all the inputs on your Yamaha programmed on the remote, or just the sources that you're using currently? The only thing you really need out of the URC is to change inputs on the Yamaha AVR...

If not, you'll have to get someone to add that functionality. Put your location in your forum profile, maybe someone nearby has one setup with the software and could help you do it.

Jeff

post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Are all the inputs on your Yamaha programmed on the remote, or just the sources that you're using currently? The only thing you really need out of the URC is to change inputs on the Yamaha AVR...
If not, you'll have to get someone to add that functionality. Put your location in your forum profile, maybe someone nearby has one setup with the software and could help you do it.
Jeff

I believe just the sources that I use , I am located in Irvine, CA
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page