In-wall Impedance Matching Volume Control Setting, please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-14-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am installing a second zone. I'm pretty set on the wiring and equipment, but I do have a question on the impedance matching volume control, please.

The source in my Onkyo TX NR717 pre-amped to an Onkyo M-282 (2channel amp). The 2-channel amp is 6 to 16 ohm stable.

I am feeding two 6 ohm in wall speakers inside and two 8 ohm speakers outside. After the volume control I have an A/B speaker switch. The speakers are wired in parallel.

I know either pair of speakers are the correct impedance by themselves, but when both PAIRS are combined, the combined impedance is 1.714.

The control I'm using is the Audiosource AE100VC. The instructions give only 8 and 4 ohm speaker settings (1x, 2x, 4x, etc.), but I'm not sure what to do with the 6 ohm speakers in the mix. I'm thinking I would go higher in the switch settings rather than lower, but want to make sure before I do damage.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-16-2012, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you will have 3.4 ohms per channel. Set your impedance switch to 2x and it will be fine. If you are worried use 4x and the amp will be very happy and live a long life at the expense of a little volume.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page