New home want speakers in four rooms - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
the-pred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just bought a new home. It is wired for nothing. I want to have 4 zones on my main floor. I can run speaker wires to in ceiling speakers no problem, but putting drops for wall volume controlls will be a pain in the a$$. Is there a system that has wireless wall controls? All I want is to be able to use Ipad and say RDIO as a source. I would want to do this threw airplay. Any starting point would be appreciated.
the-pred is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Yes, lots of options. The new NuVo P100 / P200 / P3100 units would be a good match, as would some number of Sonos units.

You could also use the Aton DLA speaker selectors (with RF remotes) behind an amp. The issue with any pieced-together solution here is that controlling them will require either multiple "apps" or a combination of handheld remotes and an iDevice. Hence my suggestion for the Sonos or NuVo products.

If you can get to the ceiling in these rooms, getting a keypad down an interior wall isn't that hard, unless you have some uncommon construction. Yes, it's work.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
the-pred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What I would like is a One unit that will do 4 zones. I really only need one source. I would like to controll the unit totally thru ipad or Iphone. Been looking around and it seems only the top end units will do this. Wonder if there is a PC solution to this?
the-pred is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Member
 
vm8444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos pay 3 or 5 just plug it in.

Easiest works directly now from iPad or iPhone.
Or if you can get impedance matching vol controls(buffalo)on side wall in each room you can use one apple product at amp end with 4-way speaker selector .
Speakers all should be 8 ohm and you'll need ok 2-channel amp or receiver.

Tango remote app or remote app can work great to pick up tunes from either device.

You can later use sea gate 500 g harddrive that will find all your music on your network.
vm8444 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
the-pred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One of my ideas was use a rasberry pi running XBMC with airplay and one of these amps http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-308 for every zone. That way every zpne can be run independant. My question is will this work, and will the audio beok with those amps driving 2 in ceiling speakers, it is just for background music.
wildta likes this.
the-pred is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Member
 
drunkwithpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a new house in the build phase and I think we are electing to go with Sonos stand-alone speakers (PLAY:5) instead of the more expensive central distribution system plus in-ceiling speakers. The Sonos speakers offer very good sound quality, communicate via wireless, and allow each speaker to be it's own zone or joined as a multi-speaker zone. You can even put two in the same room and force them into stereo mode in which each plays a separate channel (right and left). Pair them with the new Sonos Sub and you got a stereo system. The reason my wife and I decided to use Sonos is the added flexibility - we can buy three PLAY:5s and move them around as needed (since they aren't mounted). That means we can have one in the master bedroom, the family room, and the game room, but if we have a party, we can move the one from the bedroom and place it on the back patio. Another good thing - if we decide to move we can take the whole thing with us!
drunkwithpower is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithpower View Post

I have a new house in the build phase and I think we are electing to go with Sonos stand-alone speakers (PLAY:5) instead of the more expensive central distribution system plus in-ceiling speakers. The Sonos speakers offer very good sound quality, communicate via wireless, and allow each speaker to be it's own zone or joined as a multi-speaker zone. You can even put two in the same room and force them into stereo mode in which each plays a separate channel (right and left). Pair them with the new Sonos Sub and you got a stereo system. The reason my wife and I decided to use Sonos is the added flexibility - we can buy three PLAY:5s and move them around as needed (since they aren't mounted). That means we can have one in the master bedroom, the family room, and the game room, but if we have a party, we can move the one from the bedroom and place it on the back patio. Another good thing - if we decide to move we can take the whole thing with us!

Sonos systems are great. But anyone building new and contemplating any sort of whole-house-audio should strongly consider pre-wiring (home runs and cat5 for keypads). Sonos Connect:Amp systems used in conjunction with in-ceiling speakers is one possibility that provides. But if there's no wiring in place, it's much less likely you'd ever install any centralized system later. The wiring is cheap now. Having the flexibility to use practically any system available is, IMO, the right approach.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Member
 
drunkwithpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Sonos systems are great. But anyone building new and contemplating any sort of whole-house-audio should strongly consider pre-wiring (home runs and cat5 for keypads). Sonos Connect:Amp systems used in conjunction with in-ceiling speakers is one possibility that provides. But if there's no wiring in place, it's much less likely you'd ever install any centralized system later. The wiring is cheap now. Having the flexibility to use practically any system available is, IMO, the right approach.
Jeff

Another thing...wifee didn't want white speaker grills in the ceiling. Granted you can paint most of the speaker grills, but we wanted 8 rooms and could only afford 4. The problem is if we add speakers after the house is built, matching the paint might be problematic (they are custom texturing everything). So for her, it came down to aesthetics. I am also using one CONNECT:AMP in my wiring closet to power back patio if it's in the budget (instead of moving a PLAY:5 out there when needed). The Sonos system inside will still be flexible (movable), but this will allow me to have a dedicated outdoor system for the pool. I agree that if possible, wiring for everything during the build phase is the way to go if you're even thinking about adding a system later.

One thing I do have to say - the amount of money it takes to put a whole-home audio system together is too much. Same with home automation. If you are a techie you have a good shot at putting something together (diy), but going with an installer is very expensive. While I agree that you get what you pay for, many of us want a lot but can't afford it. It seems to me the home automation industry is missing the boat by not creating beginner systems. But I guess that's what DIY products are for...
wildta likes this.
drunkwithpower is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,616
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithpower View Post

Another thing...wifee didn't want white speaker grills in the ceiling. Granted you can paint most of the speaker grills, but we wanted 8 rooms and could only afford 4. The problem is if we add speakers after the house is built, matching the paint might be problematic (they are custom texturing everything). So for her, it came down to aesthetics.

Grills can definitely be painted, and in the case of texturing / faux finishes / glazing, painting the grill the "base" color will make it blend in. I didn't paint my grills when I installed them, as I didn't think the white grills were a big deal (since there are white vents, can light trims, etc. all over the ceiling). But I've changed my mind - and in the speakers I've installed since, I've been painting them.
Quote:
we wanted 8 rooms and could only afford 4

Pre-wiring is cheap. And if you just have them terminate the wires in the ceiling (don't install boxes or speaker brackets / holes), you're set to expand in the future without having to look at unfinished work or lots of blank plates. I did this in a few rooms, and am expanding to the last room now!
Quote:
One thing I do have to say - the amount of money it takes to put a whole-home audio system together is too much. Same with home automation. If you are a techie you have a good shot at putting something together (diy), but going with an installer is very expensive. While I agree that you get what you pay for, many of us want a lot but can't afford it. It seems to me the home automation industry is missing the boat by not creating beginner systems. But I guess that's what DIY products are for...

WiFi and web-enabled mobile devices / tablets are helping to bring the costs down (not that they are the solution, but rather the competition) - but I agree - there's a whole mid-market, tech-savvy group that would buy this stuff if it wasn't tens-of-thousands to install...

Now, on the whole-house-audio front, when a system supports 6-8 zones, the cost per zone, even professionally installed, isn't that much more than a Sonos-per-room. The problem of course, is that you have to buy all the rooms at the same time, whereas the Sonos you can do a few at a time and not feel the pain.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off