post #61 of 87 Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5280 View Post

I see the 12 port bracket, but I can't seem to figure out what the Quickport keystones are?

Google "Leviton Quickport cat5e"... You can buy them at the big box hardware stores, too... Monoprice has generic "keystones" that will probably fit in the module, too, and they're cheap.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 02-25-2014, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Google "Leviton Quickport cat5e"... You can buy them at the big box hardware stores, too... Monoprice has generic "keystones" that will probably fit in the module, too, and they're cheap.

Thanks again.

Still not sure what way I'm going to go, I appreciate the help.
post #63 of 87 Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a home that has smart wiring and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out how to connect my modem to the home's smart wiring panel. I have service through Shaw cable (internet, cable and phone). My internet modem is a combined wi-if router and modem. It has a power adapter and receives internet via a coaxial cable (standard tv cable). Locations 1 thru 6 appear to be wired with Ethernet cable.

The installer wired the Shaw home phone modem to work through the home's phone jacks, but suggested leaving the modem upstairs for better wifi reception. I'd rather have the modem in the basement so that I can have Ethernet Internet access in most rooms of the house. Where do I need to plug in the modem to have Ethernet running to all the connected outlets in my house? Do I need any other hardware as we'll?

Thanks for the help! I'm not very tech savy and this is my first experience with this smart wiring.

post #64 of 87 Old 03-01-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi6_ View Post

The installer wired the Shaw home phone modem to work through the home's phone jacks, but suggested leaving the modem upstairs for better wifi reception. I'd rather have the modem in the basement so that I can have Ethernet Internet access in most rooms of the house. Where do I need to plug in the modem to have Ethernet running to all the connected outlets in my house? Do I need any other hardware as we'll?

Hmmm.... It looks like you can leave the modem upstairs, and use that patch panel to give the other rooms wired Ethernet. I *THINK* that panel is telling us they've wired two pairs together to allow for phone jacks, and the left the other two pairs for "data". If that's all wired the way I think it is, you can add a cheap 10/100 Ethernet switch here, and then connect the room where you modem is, and any other room you want Ethernet. The panel suggests that two pairs are wired together (for phone), so don't try to use a Gigabit Ethernet switch here, as it will try to use all four pairs and would likely make the whole thing not work... But 100Mb Ethernet only uses 2 pairs, so if they've wired it the way I think they did, you should be ok...

If it doesn't work that simply, you'll probably have to start pulling wires off of that patch panel and add or replace it with a simple RJ45 patch panel. The good news is you've got a nice little enclosure there to put it all in!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #65 of 87 Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 PM

^^^

Ok thanks for the help. I will give it a shot.
post #66 of 87 Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 PM

Hi there,
Our apartment has Ethernet ports on each room and they are all terminated to a panel in our closet (see picture).
The phone jack is in the lounge and we have connected our router there.
How do we use the ports in the room to connect our laptops, ps4 and smart TV to the internet?
Not very good at this and getting a little frustrated because even when I connect the router to a ethernet port nothing can connect to it via another Ethernet port. The wireless works fine, as does connecting directly to the router.
Do I need a switch? If so, where does it connect?
Also there is only one ph jack that I can find but the patch panel had two incoming lines???
Any help appreciated.
post #67 of 87 Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Sorry, here is the pic.

post #68 of 87 Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dux View Post

Not very good at this and getting a little frustrated because even when I connect the router to a ethernet port nothing can connect to it via another Ethernet port. The wireless works fine, as does connecting directly to the router.
Do I need a switch? If so, where does it connect?

That connecting block is for telephone use - it's not configured for use as Ethernet / networking. Wires would have to be taken off that block and connected together, or terminated for connection to an Ethernet switch. If you are renting, you should probably look to wireless solutions rather than doing anything to that wiring.

Jeff

post #69 of 87 Old 04-01-2014, 01:46 AM

Thanks Jeff!
We own the apartment so making the required changes to the block won't be an issue, I just need to know how to do it.
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
post #70 of 87 Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dux View Post

Thanks Jeff!
We own the apartment so making the required changes to the block won't be an issue, I just need to know how to do it.
Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Great! You'll need to pull off whichever wires you want to convert to Ethernet usage, and then terminate them on a small patch panel (or directly with RJ45 connectors). Then you'll place an Ethernet switch there to connect all the rooms together including the line to your router/modem. If you can place your router here (mount it on that nice board!), you can use the built-in switch ports on it instead of buying a separate switch.

Jeff

post #71 of 87 Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM

This is my first experience with a pre-wired apartment (rental), and I'm hoping somebody can help me decipher what's in my closet, as seen in the picture below:

In case the lighting and/or detail aren't sufficient in the picture: there are 7 coax cables plugged in: 1 in and 6 out. There's also the loose coax labeled "HR" (home run?) in the foreground. The top panel has 7 ports, and there are 6 on each of the bottom two panels. It appears that all 6 ports on the middle panel are punched down, but on the bottom one, only one is, which makes sense to me since there are 7 ports on the top panel. The two gray patch cables in the picture were already installed; one goes to the middle panel, and one to the only punched down port on the bottom panel. None of the ports are labeled, so I'm not sure which one applies to which outlet in the apartment.

The bedroom, living room and den of this apartment each have at least one outlet with a coax port and an ethernet port. Every coax port I've tried in the apartment seems to work fine with my (Comcast/Xfinity) cable modem, but I'd love to have the modem set up so I could just plug devices in to any ethernet port rather than rely solely on the wireless router.

I thought plugging the modem into the loose HR coax cable pictured above would give me a central connection, but when I plugged it in, it just got hung up on the first blinking light of the boot cycle.

I ordered several Cat6 patch cables from Monoprice, so I think I have what I need to get everything set up if I can figure out how to get a central connection in the first place. I would greatly appreciate any guidance, tips and advice anyone can offer. Let me know if there are any important details I left out, and thanks in advance for your help!

post #72 of 87 Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post

The bedroom, living room and den of this apartment each have at least one outlet with a coax port and an ethernet port. Every coax port I've tried in the apartment seems to work fine with my (Comcast/Xfinity) cable modem, but I'd love to have the modem set up so I could just plug devices in to any ethernet port rather than rely solely on the wireless router.

Looks like a nice setup. The top (green) patch panel is a phone block, the bottom two are your room lines. Patching from any available jack on the phone block will turn any room jack into a phone jack. An RJ45 patch from your router to one of those would turn the room jack into Ethernet...

Is your modem also your wireless router?
Quote:
I thought plugging the modem into the loose HR coax cable pictured above would give me a central connection, but when I plugged it in, it just got hung up on the first blinking light of the boot cycle.

Obviously not hooked up to the CATV feed then... If you want to put your modem and router here, you'll disconnect one of the room coax lines and connect the modem and the router here, then patch cables to the room feeds on the bottom two black patch panels.

post #73 of 87 Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Looks like a nice setup. The top (green) patch panel is a phone block, the bottom two are your room lines. Patching from any available jack on the phone block will turn any room jack into a phone jack. An RJ45 patch from your router to one of those would turn the room jack into Ethernet...

Is your modem also your wireless router?
Obviously not hooked up to the CATV feed then... If you want to put your modem and router here, you'll disconnect one of the room coax lines and connect the modem and the router here, then patch cables to the room feeds on the bottom two black patch panels.

Thank you so much for the excellent tips! I used a two-way splitter on the inbound coax, with one line going to the modem and one to the box, and the modem connected right away. Now it's just a matter of figuring out which patch port goes to which wall outlet and getting them labeled for future reference. And getting a cleaner, more organized look for the new closet setup. :)

My modem and router are separate, and aside from the extra clutter, it's been a good setup for me. I might pick up a small switch or two for the room(s) where I'd like to have more than one LAN connection, but for now I think I'm in good shape thanks to your help!

post #74 of 87 Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Another person here seeking help and guidance. Moving in to a new house. There are plates in most rooms that look like this:

Here the jack (keystone?) has a black insert/label above it. The Jacks in the other have different colors. They appear to correspond to the colored jacks in the main panel (see photos below).

In the laundry room on the second floor, there is a junction box that has these components (photos are ordered from top of box to bottom):

There are two cat5 cables at the bottom of the box (see last photo). The red one is not hooked in to anything. The beige one is unhooked on one end, and runs to the orange jack on the Ortronics "station service" box. The corresponding wall plate with the orange keystone is in the home office downstairs.

In the last/bottom photo, there are a bunch of wires that are going though a hole in the bottom left of the box to a locked panel immediately below. I assume these are telephone wires?

Here is what I would like to be able to do, and the service/equipment that I'll have.

Television - we will have DirecTv. I assume the DirecTv installer will be able to test the coaxial plugs around the house and make the appropriate ones active.

ISP - we will have internet service through CableOne. At our present house,  we're using a Arris TG862 cable modem/router. I don't know if they'll set me up with the same device at the new house.

Networking - I want to be able to plug in to the any jack around the house and hook up a device. I assume I just need to make sure I connect a switch to the cable modem and then run wires from the switch to the colored jacks on the Ortronics "station service" box that correspond to the rooms I want to be active?

Other question: What is the Data - Wan / CAT5 host jack in the top photo?

post #75 of 87 Old 06-03-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
It is really hard to try and figure out what you have going there from photos.

I would pull a plate off the wall and see if the phone and data lines are different colors, that way you should be able to discern between the two in the structured panel.
Any good installer will have a tone and probe but they don't work for free and may not tone every line and connection in your house just for them to connect a modem and router.

I would even tell you to hire a pro to trace and label all the lines for you. This will make the internet and satellite installation much easier, and also make your understanding of the structured wiring in your home better.

Directv tv will want to remove the existing 4 rf splitters.

I am assuming that you only have 8 data jacks in the house? If you want all the data jacks in the house active, you will need an 8 port network switch, and then connect the extra data jack into the router.

I don't know what the Ortronics units are, nor have I even heard of Ortronics, so...I would be all for removing the existing panel and installing a new panel that is designed to be used with any structured media accessories, rather than one that is solely designed for Ortronics. They aren't a lot of money and would look way better in my opinion.
post #76 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 AM

Liked: 0
Question

Keeping this post alive and hoping for a little help. I'm an IT guy but networking is not my forte Here's my scenario...

We moved in 2 months ago and I currently have Centurylink DSL for internet and the house is wired for Cat5. Right after we moved in, we had Centurylink out to install the DSL and he asked what jack I wanted to use. I told him that I'd like to have all the jacks in the house working for internet but he said he couldn't set it up that way and it would only work with one jack. I was a little perplexed at his response but alas, I was in a hurry as we were in the middle of getting situated from the move and I just wanted the internet to work at the time, so I settled on a jack in the living room on the main level. Fast-forward 2 months later and I've got wireless reception issues where there are dead spots in the far reaches of the house, mainly the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. The DSL modem (ZyXEL C1000Z setup in bridged mode) and the wireless router (Netgear N600) are both on the main level. Ideally, I'd like to get the jack working in our master bedroom to add another wireless router or access point to extend the Wi-Fi.

Here is what the panel currently looks like (ignore the coax box hanging in the front, that's the work of the DirectTV installer). All the wall plates in the house have a single coax and a RJ45 jack.

Close up of Patch Panel

Patch panel cover removed

Through taking some advice from a previous post in this thread (and some experimenting on my own) , I tried connecting an 8 port switch using a patch cable from LR2 port to the switch and then a patch cable going from the switch to the MBR (Master Bedroom) port but that didn't work.

Any advice on what I can do to get this configuration to work would be much appreciated!
post #77 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch30 View Post
Through taking some advice from a previous post in this thread (and some experimenting on my own) , I tried connecting an 8 port switch using a patch cable from LR2 port to the switch and then a patch cable going from the switch to the MBR (Master Bedroom) port but that didn't work.
Put a switch here, and connect it to your router via the patch panel, plus any other room(s) where you want connectivity.

post #78 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Put a switch here, and connect it to your router via the patch panel, plus any other room(s) where you want connectivity.
Just so I understand, leave the DSL modem where it is (in the living room), disconnect the wifi router from the DSL modem, then connect a patch cable from the LR2 port to the switch-patch to the router-patch from the switch to any of the rooms where I want connectivity?

LR2 port -> Switch -> Router
-> Patch panel
post #79 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just so I understand, leave the DSL modem where it is (in the living room), disconnect the wifi router from the DSL modem, then connect a patch cable from the LR2 port to the switch-patch to the router-patch from the switch to any of the rooms where I want connectivity?
Your chain doesn't look right, but your description is correct. The chain needs to be:

DSL Modem -> WiFi Router -> Switch -> Devices in other rooms.

If you move your Router to the patch panel location, and use the "LR2" wire to connect the Router's uplink / WAN port to your DSL modem, then you're set. You can then connect any other jack on the patch panel to the router's (internal) switch ports.

post #80 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM

I tried what you suggested and unfortunately didn't get too far. I connected a patch cable from the LR2 port on the panel to the WAN port on the router, then connected another cable from another room port on the panel to an Ethernet port on the back of the router and got nothing. No activity on the port lights on the front of the router, in fact they didn't light up at all, only the WLAN and power lights are lit.

Any other ideas? I appreciate the help.
post #81 of 87 Old 06-17-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried what you suggested and unfortunately didn't get too far. I connected a patch cable from the LR2 port on the panel to the WAN port on the router, then connected another cable from another room port on the panel to an Ethernet port on the back of the router and got nothing. No activity on the port lights on the front of the router, in fact they didn't light up at all, only the WLAN and power lights are lit.

Any other ideas? I appreciate the help.
Where did you plug the DSL modem? Assuming it's in the Living Room, it's Ethernet port needs to be connected to the "LR2" jack, so that it shows up at the patch panel and then connected to the WAN port on the router. Get that working first.

And "connecting another room" - did you attach a device at the other end? If so, you should at least get link status and be able to bring up the router's internal web page. If that's not working, try another room - you may need to get a cable tester to make sure everything is actually wiring up correctly.

post #82 of 87 Old 06-18-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Lynch30, my setup is similar to what you want to do, but ever since they re-did this site, I don't how to post pictures.

Maybe try going to my profile. There are pictures there.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #83 of 87 Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Got the photo by going to my Gallery. While there, some of them are awaiting approval. Don't know what that's about.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #84 of 87 Old 06-24-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Where did you plug the DSL modem? Assuming it's in the Living Room, it's Ethernet port needs to be connected to the "LR2" jack, so that it shows up at the patch panel and then connected to the WAN port on the router. Get that working first.

And "connecting another room" - did you attach a device at the other end? If so, you should at least get link status and be able to bring up the router's internal web page. If that's not working, try another room - you may need to get a cable tester to make sure everything is actually wiring up correctly.
Thanks Jautor. I've been out of town for a week and didn't get a chance to fool with it. I'll give it another shot tonight and let you know how things work out.
post #85 of 87 Old 06-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Got the photo by going to my Gallery. While there, some of them are awaiting approval. Don't know what that's about.
Thanks for the reply and picture, Skytrooper. It's tough to see much in that picture as it's pretty small. Any chance you can give me a direct link to your gallery so I can get a better look?
post #86 of 87 Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 PM

Would anyone help me with this setup please? I've been trying to learn the whole concept of what is what, but the past few hours have proved I need to ask for some help. The old tenant either had AT&T U-verse of Xfinity. I have Xfinity TV+Internet, no phone (if this helps at all). Self installed, no technician has come inside. All I really care about is getting a switch in here so I can get the rooms connected without wifi. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Full view - http://i.imgur.com/cs8J69b.jpg
Side view - http://i.imgur.com/ja16tko.jpg
  • The apartment has 9 telephone, network and coax plugs like this -- http://i.imgur.com/CKNKcdC.jpg
    • The telephone port is connected to black wiring
    • The network port is connected to blue wiring
  • I've figured out the coax splitting since it was actually labeled
  • The blue wiring to the punch down is Cat6. Is that only for telephone?
  • What do you think the two grey wires do? One of them is plugged into the punch down, the other is dangling (top left)
  • What about the black wires? Someone cut all of these off, and only one is plugged into the punch down. My assumption is old telephone wiring since everything is digital now?
  • Any idea what the bottom right box with one grey wire in it does? It's just looped around a nail
post #87 of 87 Old 07-29-2014, 06:37 AM

That is a 66 block. It is made for phones, not LAN. You are going to have to first ID the wires coming from the wall plates to that location. All the cat cables should go to a separate cat5 or 6,12 port punch down block with 8 pin connectors.Leave the phones on that 66 block. Your modem,router and switch should be located at this location.

I don't know how skilled you are, but you are going to need punch down tools and a toner to ID the cables. You may have to lift some wires off the 66 block when toning because the tone may be drowned out if that wire is going to a phone.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page