How does pre-wired ethernet work? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #91 of 235 Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You got it!
Nice work, Jeff. Is this all billable?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED & BenQ W1080ST & Vizio M43C1
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp) & Emotive XPA-3, 200 WPC
OPPO 103, Comcast Infinity X1, Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR) CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 235 Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Nice work, Jeff. Is this all billable?
If those invoices stopped bouncing, sure...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #93 of 235 Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking a look and for responding so quickly!

I am based in Frankfurt, Germany but only recently moved here. Unfortunately I do not own the place otherwise I would look into replacing the block with a patch panel.

To connect to an ethernet switch, would I just run each of the same wires from the "wiring block" into their own RJ45 jacks?
post #94 of 235 Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesandpears View Post
To connect to an ethernet switch, would I just run each of the same wires from the "wiring block" into their own RJ45 jacks?
Yes, punch down color-for-color and terminate the other end with an RJ45. Attach those to an Ethernet switch located there.

And note you have to remove the red/black jumper wires from the punch block on any room you're connecting as Ethernet.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #95 of 235 Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi All,
I just moved into a 3 level townhome and am in pretty much in same situation. Below are the details of my setup.
Level 1 Garage and small office room.
Level 2 kitchen and living room
Level 3 Bedroom and bedroom 2

Service provider: Comcast
Current setup in living room at Level 2: Cable modem to Apple time capsule wireless router. from wireless router to network switch. from network switch to all the media devices (Apple TV, PS3, Smart TV, TIVO). from the wall from where Comcast cable is coming out there are 2 Ethernet ports. I have tried to go from the wireless router to either of the connectors on the wall to see if i get any internet through wall in other rooms but its not working.

I went to garage where i found the wiring box. which had bunch of ethernet cables as well as other cables. By looking at the pictures can anyone suggest what i would need to do to get internet in all the rooms via RJ45 jacks in each room?

Pictures are not that great but will try to get better pictures if its required.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6167.JPG.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	691754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6169.JPG.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	691762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6170.JPG.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	691770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6168.JPG.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	691778  
post #96 of 235 Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuk View Post
I went to garage where i found the wiring box. which had bunch of ethernet cables as well as other cables. By looking at the pictures can anyone suggest what i would need to do to get internet in all the rooms via RJ45 jacks in each room?
The good news is you have most, perhaps all, of the pieces you need. But you may need a tool to finish the job.

The jacks in your house appear to be wired for telephone usage. But they did you a big favor by adding the network module (punch down block / patch panel) below the phone module. You'll need to move the wires for the jack(s) in the other rooms you want to use for Ethernet from the phone module to the network module.

Then you'll place an Ethernet switch here, and use patch cables to connect the switch to the network module. And one of those must be a line going to your living room, which will be connected to your wireless router (or Ethernet switch).

To do that work, you'll need a punch down tool, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-N04...unch+down+tool

Jeff

post #97 of 235 Old 04-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The good news is you have most, perhaps all, of the pieces you need. But you may need a tool to finish the job.

The jacks in your house appear to be wired for telephone usage. But they did you a big favor by adding the network module (punch down block / patch panel) below the phone module. You'll need to move the wires for the jack(s) in the other rooms you want to use for Ethernet from the phone module to the network module.

Then you'll place an Ethernet switch here, and use patch cables to connect the switch to the network module. And one of those must be a line going to your living room, which will be connected to your wireless router (or Ethernet switch).

To do that work, you'll need a punch down tool, like this one:

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I am new to this so please bear with me.
Did you mean
1. I need to change the jacks on the walls of every room? if so why? those seem to fit the RJ45/ethernet cables.
2. do i need to buy another ethernet switch and place it in the wiring area? If so can you recommend one?
3. i need to move all the yellow cables to the network module below it?

If possible can you draw something for me based on the pictures?

Appreciate all the help.
thanks
aj
post #98 of 235 Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I am new to this so please bear with me.
Did you mean
1. I need to change the jacks on the walls of every room? if so why? those seem to fit the RJ45/ethernet cables.
Wrong end. We're talking about the end in the box here. If the room jacks are RJ45 (and they wired all 8 conductors), you don't have to change anything in the rooms.

Quote:
2. do i need to buy another ethernet switch and place it in the wiring area? If so can you recommend one?
Yes, and any cheap $10 switch will do. For $20 you can get a gigabit Ethernet model.

Quote:
3. i need to move all the yellow cables to the network module below it?
"All" the ones you want to convert to Ethernet, and don't need for wired phone connection.

Quote:
If possible can you draw something for me based on the pictures?

(oh, and see post #28: How does pre-wired ethernet work? )
jkxmlr and tamuk like this.

post #99 of 235 Old 05-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Wrong end. We're talking about the end in the box here. If the room jacks are RJ45 (and they wired all 8 conductors), you don't have to change anything in the rooms.

Yes, and any cheap $10 switch will do. For $20 you can get a gigabit Ethernet model.

"All" the ones you want to convert to Ethernet, and don't need for wired phone connection.

(oh, and see post #28:
Thanks for the inputs.
Below are new things which I found out by taking the jack plates out of the wall. Each plate has Cat5e connector and opening for another jack to mount. Behind each plate i did see blue ethernet cable besides yellow ethernet cable which is connected to the existing jack.

The issue is if i only want to connect one room the cables are not labelled. Is there an easy way to figure out which cable is going to which room?

Please take a look at the drawn picture for the network block setup and let me know why the one of the coax cable is on the network block and other one is split and attached to AFL telecommunications Splitter filter. Also attaching the pictures so hopefully you will get an idea.

By looking at the network block setup please let me know i need to remove/discoonect any cables from any of the components shown in the picture.

My plan is to add CAT 6 jacks to all the plates in addition to the existing CAT5e jacks and connect all the Blue ethernet cables from behind the plates to the jacks.

I am not sure about the network block connections so would appreciate your help on that.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6225.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	696050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	696058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	696066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	696074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	696082  

post #100 of 235 Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.
Below are new things which I found out by taking the jack plates out of the wall. Each plate has Cat5e connector and opening for another jack to mount. Behind each plate i did see blue ethernet cable besides yellow ethernet cable which is connected to the existing jack.
Oh, that's good news! Couldn't make it out clearly in your first set of pictures, but this is even easier now. You've got several blue cables there not even hooked up. So no need to move the yellow wires - just punch down the blue ones onto the network block, and add RJ45 keystones for the room jacks.

Quote:
The issue is if i only want to connect one room the cables are not labelled. Is there an easy way to figure out which cable is going to which room?
With a volt/ohmmeter, yes, you can strip and tie a pair together at the room end and check for continuity back at the box. I'd just go ahead and punch all of them down and put jacks in the 3-4 places you've got wires. Then you can easily test your work with a cheap network tester (or just connect a device and see which ports light up!).

Quote:
Please take a look at the drawn picture for the network block setup and let me know why the one of the coax cable is on the network block and other one is split and attached to AFL telecommunications Splitter filter. Also attaching the pictures so hopefully you will get an idea.
That's a DSL splitter, wired to split the phone from the DSL modem. The black coax isn't connected, it's just being used to support the wires, I assume...

Quote:
My plan is to add CAT 6 jacks to all the plates in addition to the existing CAT5e jacks and connect all the Blue ethernet cables from behind the plates to the jacks.
Unless those blue cables are cat6 (highly, highly unlikely), you should use cat5e keystone jacks for these connections. Cat6 keystones would be a waste of money and will just make things more difficult.

Quote:
I am not sure about the network block connections so would appreciate your help on that.
Punch down the blue cables on the network block. Then you'll use RJ45 patch cables to an Ethernet switch. Back to the diagram on page one of this thread...

Jeff

post #101 of 235 Old 05-10-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's good news! Couldn't make it out clearly in your first set of pictures, but this is even easier now. You've got several blue cables there not even hooked up. So no need to move the yellow wires - just punch down the blue ones onto the network block, and add RJ45 keystones for the room jacks.

With a volt/ohmmeter, yes, you can strip and tie a pair together at the room end and check for continuity back at the box. I'd just go ahead and punch all of them down and put jacks in the 3-4 places you've got wires. Then you can easily test your work with a cheap network tester (or just connect a device and see which ports light up!).

That's a DSL splitter, wired to split the phone from the DSL modem. The black coax isn't connected, it's just being used to support the wires, I assume...

Unless those blue cables are cat6 (highly, highly unlikely), you should use cat5e keystone jacks for these connections. Cat6 keystones would be a waste of money and will just make things more difficult.

Punch down the blue cables on the network block. Then you'll use RJ45 patch cables to an Ethernet switch. Back to the diagram on page one of this thread...

Jeff
Thanks. Jeff. Everything worked out ok. Thanks for all the inputs!
post #102 of 235 Old 11-29-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey Jeff!

You seem pretty knowledgeable with pre-wired Ethernet ports lol
Sorry if this is considered bumping an old thread, I can't PM you, plus I felt my issue was still on topic.

My 2 story home has Ethernet/coaxial ports all over the place. A couple with blue (cat5e)/yellow (phone line, I think)/coaxial combos.
When I was studying at Texas Tech, the dorms came with Ethernet jacks that you could just plug your laptop in.. and wala.
That doesn't seem to be the case in my house.
As a matter of fact, there's only one port that provides internet service and that is my game room.. as it is connected to a modem > router.

Unfortunately, we have a Smart TV downstairs and in my room and the signal isn't strong and would rather it plug directly to the Ethernet port behind it.

Could you explain to me what I should do?
I can provide pics, if needed.

*I know where the central hub is, upstairs guest room, I can provide pics.
*The modem and router used to be in the downstairs exercise room, but a Comcast rep moved it upstairs to the game room.
*I'm not sure if I need a modem to plug into the Ethernet port for the internet access, unlike my stay in the dorms?
post #103 of 235 Old 11-29-2015, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You've got a modem and router, you probably just need an ethernet switch installed in that central hub location. Open it up and post a picture of the insides. Post one with the entire cabinet, then a few more with closeups of the devices that are in it now.
post #104 of 235 Old 11-29-2015, 05:38 PM

Sounds good!
I'm at the movies with my gf now, but I did take a couple pics before heading out

Ahh, apparently I need 5 posts before I can post a pic

Panasonic 65" Plasma Viera/Bose Lifestyle Series II/Roku 3

Toshiba 49" LED (49L310U)/Vizio 5.1 Soundbar (s4251w)/Amazon FireTV
post #105 of 235 Old 11-29-2015, 05:39 PM

I'll upload to imgur when I'm free

post #106 of 235 Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
You've got a modem and router, you probably just need an ethernet switch installed in that central hub location. Open it up and post a picture of the insides. Post one with the entire cabinet, then a few more with closeups of the devices that are in it now.

Here are the pics I have.
Upon further investigation.. It seems that the blue is for phone line and yellow may be for Ethernet? Lol.. I used to have a cordless phone hooked in that empty blue port... And the line connected in the other pic is from our Vonage adapter.

With that said, that's the main box, pic with the blue/yellow/coaxial port is where the modem and router are, and the pic with the blue cat5e/coaxial combo port is where I would like Ethernet access for my TV or streaming box

post #107 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 53
No pics
post #108 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No pics

Ahh, sorry!
Here:
imgur(dot)com/a/I24Cp

post #109 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 PM

5 posts done!
Here are the pics

post #110 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 12:53 PM

The yellow lines have no ends on them and the blue lines have writing on them corresponding to the rooms they're routed to

post #111 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ldm4g3 View Post
The yellow lines have no ends on them and the blue lines have writing on them corresponding to the rooms they're routed to
We'll assume the yellow wires are the ones terminated with RJ45's for Ethernet... You'll need to terminate those loose ends and then install an Ethernet switch in the enclosure.

I can't make out the manufacturer (OnQ?) of the box and the other modules, but with that triple-module bracket you can probably get an Ethernet network module (a patch panel in the same form factor as the phone and coax modules you already have). That won't be the cheapest solution, but it will be a nice clean one. Then you'd just need some short RJ45 jumper cables to attach to an Ethernet switch.

This assumes you have your modem/router elsewhere and that unit can be connected via Ethernet cable to the enclosure.

Jeff

post #112 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
We'll assume the yellow wires are the ones terminated with RJ45's for Ethernet... You'll need to terminate those loose ends and then install an Ethernet switch in the enclosure.

I can't make out the manufacturer (OnQ?) of the box and the other modules, but with that triple-module bracket you can probably get an Ethernet network module (a patch panel in the same form factor as the phone and coax modules you already have). That won't be the cheapest solution, but it will be a nice clean one. Then you'd just need some short RJ45 jumper cables to attach to an Ethernet switch.

This assumes you have your modem/router elsewhere and that unit can be connected via Ethernet cable to the enclosure.

Jeff
I'm about to leave work now, I'll take a pic of the manufacturer when I get home.

I do know the name had 'fox' in it and the emblem had a yellow fox head

Sent from my SGH-M919

post #113 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm about to leave work now, I'll take a pic of the manufacturer when I get home.

I do know the name had 'fox' in it and the emblem had a yellow fox head
Ok, that's a Greyfox enclosure with an OnQ/Legrand bracket. I see now there's an OnQ 7577 Telecom module there. I believe you'll want the Legrand / OnQ AC1000 module that will fit into that open bracket. It's ~$40 for really a simple 6-port keystone block, but it would fit correctly.

The cheaper solution is to just terminate the few yellow wires individually and connect them to an Ethernet switch directly. The issue with doing that is that you'll need tools and you don't want to damage those wires (such that you have to keep cutting off length to re-terminate).

post #114 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, that's a Greyfox enclosure with an OnQ/Legrand bracket. I see now there's an OnQ 7577 Telecom module there. I believe you'll want the Legrand / OnQ AC1000 module that will fit into that open bracket. It's ~$40 for really a simple 6-port keystone block, but it would fit correctly.

The cheaper solution is to just terminate the few yellow wires individually and connect them to an Ethernet switch directly. The issue with doing that is that you'll need tools and you don't want to damage those wires (such that you have to keep cutting off length to re-terminate).
Alright, seeing that my blue cat5e port was used for my cordless phone at the time.. It's not possible to acquire ethernet access in my room that has only the blue/coaxial combo?

Sent from my SGH-M919

post #115 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Alright, seeing that my blue cat5e port was used for my cordless phone at the time.. It's not possible to acquire ethernet access in my room that has only the blue/coaxial combo?
Assuming the blue wires are also cat5e, which is very likely, you can. If you don't need the phone connection in that room, you can move the blue cable off the telecom block and make it an Ethernet link instead. You'll have to re-terminate the keystone with an RJ45 (if it's not already one).

post #116 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Assuming the blue wires are also cat5e, which is very likely, you can. If you don't need the phone connection in that room, you can move the blue cable off the telecom block and make it an Ethernet link instead. You'll have to re-terminate the keystone with an RJ45 (if it's not already one).
Correct. I won't need phone connection in this room.
So here's what I've got so far.

I will need to order:

to occupy the vacant bracket next to my OnQ Telcomm module and r7553 punchdown module.

Once that is installed, I will need to find the blue cat5e located on the punchdown module and terminate it as an RJ45,
the plug that in to my new 6 port keystone block.

Looking at this, how will this keystone block have internet access, what else would have to be connected to it while the other two modules sit in their brackets?

post #117 of 235 Old 11-30-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Looking at this, how will this keystone block have internet access, what else would have to be connected to it while the other two modules sit in their brackets?
Short RJ45 patch cables from the module to an Ethernet switch.

post #118 of 235 Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Jautor, he may also have to pay attention to the A and B wiring on the Keystone.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #119 of 235 Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Jautor, he may also have to pay attention to the A and B wiring on the Keystone.
True, he should look at that - although if he just cross-connects two rooms, assuming the jacks are all wired the same, it would take care of itself!

post #120 of 235 Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 PM

I am having a similar but different issue. I'm also trying to turn all my ethernet wall jacks "on", but when I looked inside my structured wiring panel, I found 2 cables that arent connected to anything. Only one is connected and running to my modem which is also connected my a coax cable in my living room.

my question is- how do I connect all my dsl wall jacks using what I have in my wiring panel?

this is whats in my panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4937.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1136842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4939.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1136850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4938.JPG