How does pre-wired ethernet work? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 101 Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You got it!
Nice work, Jeff. Is this all billable?

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Nice work, Jeff. Is this all billable?
If those invoices stopped bouncing, sure...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #93 of 101 Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking a look and for responding so quickly!

I am based in Frankfurt, Germany but only recently moved here. Unfortunately I do not own the place otherwise I would look into replacing the block with a patch panel.

To connect to an ethernet switch, would I just run each of the same wires from the "wiring block" into their own RJ45 jacks?
post #94 of 101 Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesandpears View Post
To connect to an ethernet switch, would I just run each of the same wires from the "wiring block" into their own RJ45 jacks?
Yes, punch down color-for-color and terminate the other end with an RJ45. Attach those to an Ethernet switch located there.

And note you have to remove the red/black jumper wires from the punch block on any room you're connecting as Ethernet.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #95 of 101 Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi All,
I just moved into a 3 level townhome and am in pretty much in same situation. Below are the details of my setup.
Level 1 Garage and small office room.
Level 2 kitchen and living room
Level 3 Bedroom and bedroom 2

Service provider: Comcast
Current setup in living room at Level 2: Cable modem to Apple time capsule wireless router. from wireless router to network switch. from network switch to all the media devices (Apple TV, PS3, Smart TV, TIVO). from the wall from where Comcast cable is coming out there are 2 Ethernet ports. I have tried to go from the wireless router to either of the connectors on the wall to see if i get any internet through wall in other rooms but its not working.

I went to garage where i found the wiring box. which had bunch of ethernet cables as well as other cables. By looking at the pictures can anyone suggest what i would need to do to get internet in all the rooms via RJ45 jacks in each room?

Pictures are not that great but will try to get better pictures if its required.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6167.JPG.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	691754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6169.JPG.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	691762   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6170.JPG.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	691770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6168.JPG.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	691778  
post #96 of 101 Old 04-28-2015, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamuk View Post
I went to garage where i found the wiring box. which had bunch of ethernet cables as well as other cables. By looking at the pictures can anyone suggest what i would need to do to get internet in all the rooms via RJ45 jacks in each room?
The good news is you have most, perhaps all, of the pieces you need. But you may need a tool to finish the job.

The jacks in your house appear to be wired for telephone usage. But they did you a big favor by adding the network module (punch down block / patch panel) below the phone module. You'll need to move the wires for the jack(s) in the other rooms you want to use for Ethernet from the phone module to the network module.

Then you'll place an Ethernet switch here, and use patch cables to connect the switch to the network module. And one of those must be a line going to your living room, which will be connected to your wireless router (or Ethernet switch).

To do that work, you'll need a punch down tool, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-N04...unch+down+tool

Jeff

post #97 of 101 Old 04-28-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The good news is you have most, perhaps all, of the pieces you need. But you may need a tool to finish the job.

The jacks in your house appear to be wired for telephone usage. But they did you a big favor by adding the network module (punch down block / patch panel) below the phone module. You'll need to move the wires for the jack(s) in the other rooms you want to use for Ethernet from the phone module to the network module.

Then you'll place an Ethernet switch here, and use patch cables to connect the switch to the network module. And one of those must be a line going to your living room, which will be connected to your wireless router (or Ethernet switch).

To do that work, you'll need a punch down tool, like this one:

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I am new to this so please bear with me.
Did you mean
1. I need to change the jacks on the walls of every room? if so why? those seem to fit the RJ45/ethernet cables.
2. do i need to buy another ethernet switch and place it in the wiring area? If so can you recommend one?
3. i need to move all the yellow cables to the network module below it?

If possible can you draw something for me based on the pictures?

Appreciate all the help.
thanks
aj
post #98 of 101 Old 04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. I am new to this so please bear with me.
Did you mean
1. I need to change the jacks on the walls of every room? if so why? those seem to fit the RJ45/ethernet cables.
Wrong end. We're talking about the end in the box here. If the room jacks are RJ45 (and they wired all 8 conductors), you don't have to change anything in the rooms.

Quote:
2. do i need to buy another ethernet switch and place it in the wiring area? If so can you recommend one?
Yes, and any cheap $10 switch will do. For $20 you can get a gigabit Ethernet model.

Quote:
3. i need to move all the yellow cables to the network module below it?
"All" the ones you want to convert to Ethernet, and don't need for wired phone connection.

Quote:
If possible can you draw something for me based on the pictures?

(oh, and see post #28: How does pre-wired ethernet work? )
jkxmlr and tamuk like this.

post #99 of 101 Old 05-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Wrong end. We're talking about the end in the box here. If the room jacks are RJ45 (and they wired all 8 conductors), you don't have to change anything in the rooms.

Yes, and any cheap $10 switch will do. For $20 you can get a gigabit Ethernet model.

"All" the ones you want to convert to Ethernet, and don't need for wired phone connection.

(oh, and see post #28:
Thanks for the inputs.
Below are new things which I found out by taking the jack plates out of the wall. Each plate has Cat5e connector and opening for another jack to mount. Behind each plate i did see blue ethernet cable besides yellow ethernet cable which is connected to the existing jack.

The issue is if i only want to connect one room the cables are not labelled. Is there an easy way to figure out which cable is going to which room?

Please take a look at the drawn picture for the network block setup and let me know why the one of the coax cable is on the network block and other one is split and attached to AFL telecommunications Splitter filter. Also attaching the pictures so hopefully you will get an idea.

By looking at the network block setup please let me know i need to remove/discoonect any cables from any of the components shown in the picture.

My plan is to add CAT 6 jacks to all the plates in addition to the existing CAT5e jacks and connect all the Blue ethernet cables from behind the plates to the jacks.

I am not sure about the network block connections so would appreciate your help on that.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6225.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	696050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	696058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	696066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	696074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	696082  

post #100 of 101 Old 05-01-2015, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.
Below are new things which I found out by taking the jack plates out of the wall. Each plate has Cat5e connector and opening for another jack to mount. Behind each plate i did see blue ethernet cable besides yellow ethernet cable which is connected to the existing jack.
Oh, that's good news! Couldn't make it out clearly in your first set of pictures, but this is even easier now. You've got several blue cables there not even hooked up. So no need to move the yellow wires - just punch down the blue ones onto the network block, and add RJ45 keystones for the room jacks.

Quote:
The issue is if i only want to connect one room the cables are not labelled. Is there an easy way to figure out which cable is going to which room?
With a volt/ohmmeter, yes, you can strip and tie a pair together at the room end and check for continuity back at the box. I'd just go ahead and punch all of them down and put jacks in the 3-4 places you've got wires. Then you can easily test your work with a cheap network tester (or just connect a device and see which ports light up!).

Quote:
Please take a look at the drawn picture for the network block setup and let me know why the one of the coax cable is on the network block and other one is split and attached to AFL telecommunications Splitter filter. Also attaching the pictures so hopefully you will get an idea.
That's a DSL splitter, wired to split the phone from the DSL modem. The black coax isn't connected, it's just being used to support the wires, I assume...

Quote:
My plan is to add CAT 6 jacks to all the plates in addition to the existing CAT5e jacks and connect all the Blue ethernet cables from behind the plates to the jacks.
Unless those blue cables are cat6 (highly, highly unlikely), you should use cat5e keystone jacks for these connections. Cat6 keystones would be a waste of money and will just make things more difficult.

Quote:
I am not sure about the network block connections so would appreciate your help on that.
Punch down the blue cables on the network block. Then you'll use RJ45 patch cables to an Ethernet switch. Back to the diagram on page one of this thread...

Jeff

post #101 of 101 Old 05-10-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's good news! Couldn't make it out clearly in your first set of pictures, but this is even easier now. You've got several blue cables there not even hooked up. So no need to move the yellow wires - just punch down the blue ones onto the network block, and add RJ45 keystones for the room jacks.

With a volt/ohmmeter, yes, you can strip and tie a pair together at the room end and check for continuity back at the box. I'd just go ahead and punch all of them down and put jacks in the 3-4 places you've got wires. Then you can easily test your work with a cheap network tester (or just connect a device and see which ports light up!).

That's a DSL splitter, wired to split the phone from the DSL modem. The black coax isn't connected, it's just being used to support the wires, I assume...

Unless those blue cables are cat6 (highly, highly unlikely), you should use cat5e keystone jacks for these connections. Cat6 keystones would be a waste of money and will just make things more difficult.

Punch down the blue cables on the network block. Then you'll use RJ45 patch cables to an Ethernet switch. Back to the diagram on page one of this thread...

Jeff
Thanks. Jeff. Everything worked out ok. Thanks for all the inputs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution