Yet another home wiring question - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home A/V Distribution > Yet another home wiring question

Home A/V Distribution

brinke's Avatar brinke
08:47 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 2
12-19-2012 | Posts: 1
First post

I have searched and searched the forums hoping to find at least one person with the same setup as my home, no dice.

Here is the current setup in the home:
5.1 in the living room
pair of speakers in the dining room, kitchen, master bedroom and the master bathroom, all with in ceiling speakers home run to the living room. The only pair of speakers with in wall volume control is the kitchen. The kitchen, dining and living rooms are all connected with no walls.

I have a Denon 2 zone amp in the LR

I want to have whole home audio and realize that Sonos is probably the easiest way and if I follow it right, I would need one zone in the living room, dining room, kitchen and in the master suite. That is 5 zones. 4 of those would be the sonos connect amp and the one in the living room could be a sonos connect, right?

The other thing I am entertaining is hooking the Sonos Amp into a DLA 4 room selector and just running the Sonos in the DR, Kitchen and Master suite. IS this doable?

Oh yea, the wife would like to hear the TV in the kitchen. Can I split the speaker wires to the switch and jump off the L & R?

Help, thanks

Brad
jautor's Avatar jautor
09:34 PM Liked: 380
post #2 of 2
12-19-2012 | Posts: 8,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinke View Post

I want to have whole home audio and realize that Sonos is probably the easiest way and if I follow it right, I would need one zone in the living room, dining room, kitchen and in the master suite. That is 5 zones. 4 of those would be the sonos connect amp and the one in the living room could be a sonos connect, right?

Correct. But as many of those rooms are all open to each other, buying separate Sonos units for them seems like overkill - since you'll never have them playing different sources.
Quote:
The other thing I am entertaining is hooking the Sonos Amp into a DLA 4 room selector and just running the Sonos in the DR, Kitchen and Master suite. IS this doable?

Yes, that's more like it. There's probably enough power in the Connect:Amp, or you could use a larger external amp. I'd probably start with the Connect:Amp, and add more power later if needed (probably not).
Quote:
Oh yea, the wife would like to hear the TV in the kitchen. Can I split the speaker wires to the switch and jump off the L & R?

Take the zone2 output from the Denon and run it to the line in of the Sonos Connect:Amp. Then you can select any source connected to the Denon. Or just run an analog audio line from the set-top box (assuming you have one), so that TV audio is always available. I'm guessing that would be the more usable solution.

Jeff
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Subscribe to this Thread