Hdmi matrix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I have been looking for a HDMI matrix either 4 x4 or 8 x8 that does not have the lowest common denominator flaw for audio. I have my equipment in one location and trying to distribute to 2 areas that have 7.1 and two that just require the hd plus 2.0

Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Other than a Crestron system there aren't any. It's not the switch's problem - its HDMI and the sources...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Other than a Crestron system there aren't any. It's not the switch's problem - its HDMI and the sources...

But some do handle it differently or better right? I have the monoprice 8151 and was thinking an upgrade to the the Snap A/V or similar would solve my issues. I currently only get 2 channel out from my Dune player no matter what display is in use a 2ch one or a 7.1 capable one. I was hoping that an upgrade would enable 7.1 to be available when the other displays are not viewing the Dune.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #4 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

But some do handle it differently or better right? I have the monoprice 8151 and was thinking an upgrade to the the Snap A/V or similar would solve my issues. I currently only get 2 channel out from my Dune player no matter what display is in use a 2ch one or a 7.1 capable one. I was hoping that an upgrade would enable 7.1 to be available when the other displays are not viewing the Dune.

Some will handle the switching from one source to another better - and some offer EDID management to force a certain configuration (which means audio may not be available to some displays). But the "common denominator" issue can't be solved without decoding all the audio streams in the switch and re-encoding them for each display output as needed.

HDMI only provides for a single audio stream from a source - so it's the source (Blu-ray player) that decides which audio stream to send, and by spec, it will pick the best stream that works for everyone attached.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 11:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Some will handle the switching from one source to another better - and some offer EDID management to force a certain configuration (which means audio may not be available to some displays). But the "common denominator" issue can't be solved without decoding all the audio streams in the switch and re-encoding them for each display output as needed.

HDMI only provides for a single audio stream from a source - so it's the source (Blu-ray player) that decides which audio stream to send, and by spec, it will pick the best stream that works for everyone attached.
Jautor is correct as usual... Another option that comes close to solving the problem I believe is the Zektor Clarity HD Elite. It can take multiple audio connections per input (so you can connect the HDMI and some analog outputs from your source) and then it can send different audio to different screens based on their capabilities. It's not as good as Crestron's sytem since you have to have the audio outputs available and connected, but it's better than most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen31 View Post

Quote:

The SnapAV one will not help you. All sources drop to the lowest output even if the source is not being shared. If you have 1 stereo-only output, you can even turn that output Off and I believe it will still force them all down. On my SnapAV 4x4 I just use the EDID locking to force 1080p 7.1ch from the sources. All but one of my outputs can handle that and I use a workaround for that one.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good to know guys, thanks.

For me it is not a huge deal. I mainly use my Dune player for streaming kids movies to the 2 channel TVs so the lack of 7.1 output isn't a big deal. Paying $1600 or so to replace the unit I have that "works" seems silly too. It would be nice if I could force the Dune to output 7.1 and then use the player itself to select a stereo downmix if needed. It would also be nice if I didn't get occasional video signal issues on 2 of the TVs when using the PS3 as a source.

But, if I put a $1 in a jar each time I had the issue, it would be loooooong time before I had enough to upgrade. Just one of the many hazards of HDMI video distribution as discussed ad infinitum in this forum.

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Will the snap a/v matrix allow to force 7.1 to all receivers?

Any info on the Gefen toolbox hdmi matrix?

Spending more than 1000 kinda defeats the idea and would be more cost effective for me to just buy another PS3, cable box, Bluray player

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone
post #8 of 11 Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guju69 View Post

Spending more than 1000 kinda defeats the idea and would be more cost effective for me to just buy another PS3, cable box, Bluray player.

Ding ding ding! biggrin.gif

post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Will the snap a/v matrix allow to force 7.1 to all receivers?
Yes, that is why I do on mine.
Quote:

Spending more than 1000 kinda defeats the idea and would be more cost effective for me to just buy another PS3, cable box, Bluray player
Jautor loves to agree with this sentiment as he did here, but I personally don't always agree. In my setup, 3 of the rooms have just a simple TV on the wall with the little IR receiver...nothing else...where would I put extra bluray players, PS3s, etc. I'd rather setup one system to distribute everything than have to setup individual systems for each room. Also now all of our dvds, blurays, and Xbox/PS3/etc games are just in the cabinet right next to the devices...with per-room devices you could end up searching your whole house for your copy of some game/movie. =p

Some situations I think it makes sense, like with Apple TVs since they're cheap and small and don't take discs. Also sometimes people want to achieve ridiculous things and should really just buy another bluray player.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyrolan View Post

Some situations I think it makes sense, like with Apple TVs since they're cheap and small and don't take discs. Also sometimes people want to achieve ridiculous things and should really just buy another bluray player.

Yep, it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Distributed video *was* the only method to share content until quite recently, but with the whole-house DVR products, streaming devices, etc. it's not the only solution for many usage models. My point is to explore the options and figure out why you're distributing video before investing in expensive and complex HDMI matrix solutions...

I have a matrix setup in my house (component), and for my usage it's exactly what I needed... But I've also got local BD players in the main zones for convenience and audio compatibility.

Jeff

post #11 of 11 Old 12-28-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:

My point is to explore the options and figure out why you're distributing video before investing in expensive and complex HDMI matrix solutions...
This is as always by far the best advice to be given. There are so many products out there and so many approaches that there are so many tradeoffs and decisions...research and asking questions is key. Jeff I do give you props for always keeping that in the forefront of these threads.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page