Need Extremely Reliable, Works the First Time, HDMI over 30 Feet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am doing a commercial installation, and need to go 30 feet with HDMI iincluding through a wall. This has to be totally reliable, so am willing to pay what it takes for reliable equipment. I've looked at longer HDMI cables, and HDMI over Cat5 extenders, and at least half the people have problems. This has to work the first time, without trial and error. Any suggestions?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 13
Monoprice redmere has a pretty good reputation. I have not personally used them but I have asked this same question after the audio return channel did not work on my el cheapo 30 footer.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I'm running an in wall 50ft Monoprice cable with no amplification with no problems at all. I'm not running ARC or 3D though, just 1080p bluray rips.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Search at remotecentral.com CI Lounge.

Troubleshoot in the shop, off site, first. Make sure it works there before installing.

Choose manufacturers that stand by their products, with very good service, for HDMI.

It's often not a cable problem, with HDMI.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Get an HDBaseT HDMI over Cat5e/Cat6. They will be the most reliable over long runs and use only a single cable.

Having said that, I use a monoprice cheapo unit over 2x Cat5e and it worked straight out of the box with a PC >> A/V Receiver >> Baluns >> TV setup.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Liked: 88
Your context is wrong. If you go outside of a single souce-to-sink connection, HDMI was not designed for high reliability. It was designed for two things - 1) secure transmissions and 2) uncompressed video. In other words, if anything is wrong with the signal HDMI's correct response is no video and no audio. So, much of the "reliability" part that you've noticed is with the processing and not with the cable.

Having said that, for 1080p/60 you can run 30' of standard speed cable and you would be OK as long as it is high gauge cable. Same with 1080p/24 3D. If you want to go higher speeds (such as enabling Deep Color) then you'll need a High Speed cable. The Monoprice Redmeres are the simplest high speed cables over 25' since the use HDMI connectors. The cable actually doesn't amplify the signal but instead recovers it on the destination side. The recovery chip is "tuned" to the length of the cable. Cat 6 conversion is another good method but is (slightly) more complicated since you have to convert to cat 6 and then back to HDMI.

Really the best advice I can give you is to test thoroughly out-of-wall before installation. Use as many of the source and sink components as possible during the pre-installation testing.

Also there is an HDMI section of the AVSForum where we discuss HDMI limitations and best choices. It's about three sections down from this one in the forum list.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
I think I'll give the Monoprice Redmere's a try. If that doesn't work, then on to HDBaseT.

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Michael
post #8 of 9 Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Liked: 10
We only use:
BlueJean Cable
Key Digital
post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Redmere is working for me with two 50 ft runs and using arc.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page