Cheap 1 source 4 zone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking to install a 4 zone 1 source system in a house I bought and I plan on flipping. Since I am selling I want the cheapest system you guys have seen. I need amplified keypads. I have ran speaker wire and cat6 to the wall plates. Has anyone seen a good deal on a system like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
So you ran wiring for an A-Bus system only? Or did you do it correctly and home-run the speaker wire as well?

A used Russound or Niles A-Bus system from eBay would be your best bet. Cheap, but usable. Monoprice in-ceiling speakers - use the 6.25" so the buyer can easily upgrade in the future.

Unless you plan on having the system running during any showings, I don't think you'll get much, if anything, for adding the system, assuming this is an entry/mid-level house for flipping. Noting that the house is "pre-wired" may do just as much good.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I ran 2 sets cat6 and speaker wire to every face plate. Shoul dI have run something different?
post #4 of 9 Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-pred View Post

I ran 2 sets cat6 and speaker wire to every face plate. Shoul dI have run something different?

If you mean you home-run all of those, then you did good. Assuming you also ran wires from the keypad/volume location to the speaker locations, too! biggrin.gif

If you only home-run the cat6, you've limited yourself to an A-Bus (or Digi-5) system.

If you did home-run everything, I'd just install volume controls and speakers (assuming in-ceiling), and use a stereo amp for demonstration purposes (during open house), advertise it as whole-house-audio-ready, and not invest in any system gear.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so if I just go with an airplay enabled amp and 4 zones of speakers, will the Denon AVR-1613 be able to power 8 in ceiling speakers. They are the the POLK polkmc80 in ceiling speakers. Also is there a cheap place to buy in wall volume controls?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok so if I just go with an airplay enabled amp and 4 zones of speakers, will the Denon AVR-1613 be able to power 8 in ceiling speakers. They are the the POLK polkmc80 in ceiling speakers. Also is there a cheap place to buy in wall volume controls?

You'll need either an impedance-matching speaker selector, or impedance-matching volume controls. There are cheap volume controls, but folks have had issues with their impedance-matching not really doing a good job.

post #7 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

So the wattage output In that avr will be ok on a stero setup. Can you suggest volume controls.?
post #8 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the wattage output In that avr will be ok on a stero setup. Can you suggest volume controls.?

It'll be just fine... I'd recommend a name-brand control like Xantech or Niles. Folks have not had good impedance-matching luck with the inexpensive Monoprice variety. It would certainly be better for your future buyer if the volume controls did proper impedance-matching.

Jeff

post #9 of 9 Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone heard of Bic America volume controls?
http://www.acoustechspeakers.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=14&spkrID=61
Thye are priced around $30, just wondering if there impedance matching is Ok to run my 8 ohm polks?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page