Installing new whole house audio - Please check my equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I have read through countless pages on AVS regarding this, but like everyone says, each system is different. To be frank, I get lost and confused when it comes to impedance, ohms and how amplifiers integrate into a system. We are renovating and I want to install a system with have 7 rooms of speakers (14 speakers total), 1 zone (do not see the need for multiple zones now). I would like the ability to have all 7 rooms on but also to control the rooms on/off and volume from the home run and using volume controls in the room. We will be using it primarily for iPod and internet radio. Home theater is separate.

Here is the equipment I was looking at. I would like it to sound good, but am not an audiophile. I think I need a receiver with zone b for the 2 selectors? Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 Network Receiver – 110W per channel (has Airplay)
Yamaha A-S500BL Integrated home theater amp – 120W x2 Max, 85W x2 (RMS)
7 pairs of Polk RC80i Ceiling Speakers
(2) Niles SSVC4 Speaker & Volume Selector
Niles VCS100R 100 Watt InWall Volume Control (to use in 4 or 5 rooms)
1 Polk Subwoofer for added bass in the kitchen/family room

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

I get lost and confused when it comes to impedance, ohms and how amplifiers integrate into a system.

To keep it simple, if you want to attach more than one or two pairs of speakers to an amplifier (meaning, more than one speaker per amp channel), you have to adjust the impedance of the system somewhere in the chain.
Quote:
We are renovating and I want to install a system with have 7 rooms of speakers (14 speakers total), 1 zone (do not see the need for multiple zones now).

Running 7 rooms on one 'zone' means that if you want sound in just one room, you'll have to turn down/off the volume in six other rooms. These setups are ok for a few zones where the system is only used for parties. But for a larger setup like this, I'd highly recommend you look into a real WHA system. Done right, you'll use it every day.
Quote:
I would like the ability to have all 7 rooms on but also to control the rooms on/off and volume from the home run and using volume controls in the room. We will be using it primarily for iPod and internet radio. Home theater is separate

Having two volume controls is annoying - put an in-room volume control in each room, so you can leave the amp set 'high' and adjust down in each room as needed.
Quote:
Here is the equipment I was looking at. I would like it to sound good, but am not an audiophile.

Translation - you want to do this on a moderate budget. biggrin.gif

What you've described will work, but you'll need some extra wiring run for a subwoofer. Take a look at least at the HTD Lync system, coupled with a Sonos Connect. Probably not much more money that what you've described, but would give you a lot more usability and future expansion potential.

Jef

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jeff -- Thanks a lot for all of the info! And for increasing my budget. wink.gifsmile.gif

You are correct, when I said that I'm not an audiophile, I do not need to spend an absurd amount of money on this--I thought $1500-$2500 would cover it, but I am not opposed to spending more if it is worth it. That being said, I looked at the HTD packages. I copied this from their website, it might do the trick, though it might pay to get the Lync 6 for another $500. Would I really a Sonos Connect at this point or could I use an existing receiver?

MC66SET40-KC7
Complete set with MC-66 controller, DMA-1240 multi-channel amplifier, 6 KC7 keypads, and IR accessories
Max 120 Watts/Zone
Save $130 versus buying each item individually.
$1,449.00

If I went the original route, couple quick questions--
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

To keep it simple, if you want to attach more than one or two pairs of speakers to an amplifier (meaning, more than one speaker per amp channel), you have to adjust the impedance of the system somewhere in the chain.
Having two volume controls is annoying - put an in-room volume control in each room, so you can leave the amp set 'high' and adjust down in each room as needed.

Forgive the stupid question, what do I use/how do I adjust the impedance?

I understand why you would say this is annoying, but it sounds like it could work without harming things?

Thanks again!!!

Jeff
post #4 of 4 Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post

Jeff -- Thanks a lot for all of the info! And for increasing my budget. wink.gifsmile.gif

That's what I do... biggrin.gif
Quote:
You are correct, when I said that I'm not an audiophile, I do not need to spend an absurd amount of money on this--I thought $1500-$2500 would cover it, but I am not opposed to spending more if it is worth it. That being said, I looked at the HTD packages. I copied this from their website, it might do the trick, though it might pay to get the Lync 6 for another $500.

Yes, if the budget can allow, spend more and get a "real" WHA system with local keypad controls, for at least source selection and volume control.
Quote:
Would I really a Sonos Connect at this point or could I use an existing receiver?

Sonos Connect would be a source (and a very good one) to the WHA system controller/amp.
Quote:
Forgive the stupid question, what do I use/how do I adjust the impedance?

Either a speaker selector or volume controls with "impedance-matching" built in. Only necessary if you use a single amp for multiple pairs of speakers. A WHA system will have a multi-channel amp, so only one pair of speaker per amp-pair.
Quote:
I understand why you would say this is annoying, but it sounds like it could work without harming things?

Won't harm anything except your stress level and sanity. Trust me, have a consistent volume control scheme in every room/zone...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page