HDMI Matrix, controlling source devices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,
I’m looking for some advise from the good folks here.
The recent storm flooded my basement and destroyed my entire system. I had an Elan G! automation system utilizing a 8x8 hdmi matrix and Elan HR2 remotes in the bedrooms and ipad/iphone control everywhere else. The system worked ok, but it was not all that stable.
Anyway, I decided not to rebuild the Elan system because it’s too expensive for me now.
I have 5 cable boxes sitting in the basement connected using a dual cat5/hdmi extenders with ir for shorter runs and hdbaset lite extenders for longer runs. I find myself really enjoying the work so I figure I might try to rebuild the 8x8 matrix that I originally had.
I understand that I need to buy a matrix, but my question revolves around control of the source devices and the matrix. I understand that using a GC-100 I can probably accomplish the same mix of wifi remotes in the bedrooms and ipad/iphone everywhere else, but what will actually control the GC-100? I don’t want to have a HTPC running 24/7.
If someone can point me to where I can read up about this I would be most grateful? I spent several days trying to find info but was not successful. I know there are hdmi over ip solutions like justaddpower out there but they are very expensive to implement and will still require a controller or a pc running 24/7.
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
JustAddPower doesn't require a PC (perhaps for some setup, but not for control).

The GC-100 is just a gateway target device for a software-based controller (app), like iRule, Roomie, etc.

But I would re-think the iPad/tablet/etc. control for your cable boxes. I use iRule (which is what you're looking for) to control a GC-100 and a bunch of IP-controlled devices (DirecTV boxes, etc.) in my theater, and it works great for that. But using a non-dedicated touchscreen is, IMO, a lousy everyday remote control for a TV.

If your cable boxes have addressable IR, you can use any number of RF/IR repeater systems, or use a matrix that has IR routing built-in. Hook the matrix up to your HDBaseT extenders (which hopefully have IR repeating?).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you do much for your reply Jeff. I font see any major manufacturers doing a matrix with ir routing. The gefen toolbox that I was thinking of getting does not do that. Can you recommend one that is reasonably priced. Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Atlona, and I think Octava. Many of the cat5 matrix switches will have IR routing. Including the Monoprice modl...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Atlona, and I think Octava. Many of the cat5 matrix switches will have IR routing. Including the Monoprice modl...
Correct. The Octava and Atlona ones do IR routing as you'd expect, but the Binary SnapAV ones do not. The monoprice does IR routing, but it is essentially worthless. The IR in the monoprice does not work for dual-band IR codes, and that is a ton of the remotes these days. You're almost guaranteed to have devices for which the monoprice IR does not work.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
The Octava HD44CATMX and HD48CATMX both offer Routed IR (for controlling your Sources), Broadcast IR (handy if you have an AVR to control from one Zone) plus the Matrix is controlled from each Zone.

We also have RS232 so can easily integrate with the likes of iRule/Global Cache.

Joe

PS We have a New 4x8 HDBaseT-lite ‘Card Frame’ style Chassis with PoH on the way – again with Routed & Broadcast IR!

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions. I love the idea of having ir distribution in the matrix, but it looks like all the products mentioned are hdbaset technology and are way out of my price range. I was thinking of going with gefen toolbox 8x8 matrix with hdbaset lite extenders 3 tvs (100+ ft away), 2 tvs with regular dual cat 5 hdmi extenders and 2 direct hdmi runs (all working now with direct runs to cable boxes in the basement, I will only need 4 once the matrix is setup). I will need some sort of ir matrix with this setup because all the cable boxes are Samsung without distict ir codes. The xantec connecting blocks will not work so I’m thinking URC MSC-400 with a URC remote and a GC-100. Would I still need a controller to make this all work? I really want a physical remote with buttons in the bedrooms, otherwise, I would just go the irule rout. Thanks again for your input.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page