1080p sparklies with patch panel and wall plates, but not 1080i. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've been working through my home AV wiring and setup for the past 18 months. Slowly and carefully. I don't have a massive budget like some members, but I'm doing what I can with the resources available.

I've got all of my equipment in a central location and wiring is done through the house (100% retrofit on 60 year old home). PS3, Wii-U, Apple TV, PVR... I'm using a monoprice 4X4 matrix and running through cat6 cables to the end devices. I'm pleased to say zero HDCP issues on any of the equipment, no black screens, nothing. It's been excellent.

So the setup basically goes like this. Let's take the wii-u for example.

Wii-U ---> Yamaha receiver (with HDMI switching and passthrough) --> 4X4 HDMI Matrix --> Cat 6 UTP --> Patch Panel -- > Cat6 UTP --> Wall Plate --> Cat6 to HDMI converter --> TV.

So far, I've been running everything at 1080i and everything has been perfect. I've had a Panasonic 900u (720p) so never really felt the need to push 1080p.

However, for Boxing day, I purchased an Epson 3020 1080p projector and am quite pleased with the picture overall. So trying out the 3D functionality, apparently my PS3 needs to be set up as 1080p (which introduces sparklies, some drop outs, etc).

So in an effort to obtain 1080p without the signal noise/loss I took out the patch Panel and the Wall Plate and voila! Perfect. Zero issues.

The challenge is that the patch panel and wall plates make the installation so much cleaner and versatile as you can all appreciate. The cables are cat6 UTP (I read that STP, while recommended, would not make any difference for shorter runs)

So please bear with me. I've been searching online and can't seem to find answers to my following questions: Hoping members here could help shed some light.

1. Is there ANY WAY that I can still use a Patch Panel and the Wall Plates? Are there any magical "Cat6 twisted shielded patch panels" that will act as though there is no break in the connection?

2. Are there any wall plates such as the patch panel mentioned above?

3. Will upgrading the cables to STP make any difference?

3. If option 1,2,3 are wishful thinking, how do most people deal with solid connections straight through? functionally, I'm not a fan of having solid cables end to end, but if it needs to be this way, I'll certainly go with it. How do people here deal with this cosmetically?

4. Cat6 rather than HDMI was chosen initially because I can use my 48 port patch panel and have complete versatility. Any connection to any room. But let's say I decide to use HDMI rather than the cat6 cables for the video connections. Could I use HDMI wall plates (essentially just couplers) and an HDMI patch panel or would the same issue be introduced? I know with the HDMI patch panel, at least the wires aren't being untwisted.

Thanks anyone for advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 61
With HDMI over Twisted Pair it is always advisable to use a straight unbroken run of CAT6 – where you have to exit a wall we use ‘brush’ style face plates with no terminations required.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Joe. Is there such a thing as a twisted keystone jack? Something which maintains the integrity of the original signal assuming the connection is good?
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster911 View Post

Are there any magical "Cat6 twisted shielded patch panels" that will act as though there is no break in the connection?
No. Anytime there is a connection the signal is going to be degraded a bit because of a variety of factors.
Quote:
Are there any wall plates such as the patch panel mentioned above?
No. Same reason.
Quote:
Will upgrading the cables to STP make any difference?
Probably not, might make things worse because of the extra capacitance.
Quote:
...how do most people deal with solid connections straight through?
Joe already said it.
Quote:
Could I use HDMI wall plates (essentially just couplers) and an HDMI patch panel or would the same issue be introduced?
Connections in the HDMI chain degrade the signal, too. Additionally, total run length is going to be more limited with HDMI unless you use an active cable. You might be able to do 50' at 1080p60. Beyond that it really depends on a lot of factors.

You didn't say which monoprice matrix you are using. Does it use a single cable to each destination, or two? If two, you might want to consider a matrix with HDBaseT outputs.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using the 4X4 matrix found at:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011310&p_id=8151&seq=1&format=2

I'm using two cables to reach the destination. Would I need a new matrix for HDBaseT?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

HDBaseT - I've been reading up on this for around the last 2 hours. WOW! All I can say is that it has the potential to solve many existing issues.

I see that Monoprice has an HDBaseT extender. Would it be feasible that I could feed the HDMI from the 4X4 Matrix into an HDBaseT extender and still maintain the use of my patch panel and wall plates? I see that there's some articles indicating that if anything can do it, HDBaseT could, but does that include making use of an HDMI Matrix as well first?

Thanks for the lead Colm, I never even knew this existed!!! Even if it's too expensive right now, I could run the other cables temporarily until I "bite the bullet" and purchase an HDBaseT Matrix as they become more affordable.

At least this opens up some options and flexibility!
post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkster911 View Post

I see that Monoprice has an HDBaseT extender. Would it be feasible that I could feed the HDMI from the 4X4 Matrix into an HDBaseT extender and still maintain the use of my patch panel and wall plates? I see that there's some articles indicating that if anything can do it, HDBaseT could, but does that include making use of an HDMI Matrix as well first?
That could work...the small extra hop is not as ideal as HDBaseT straight from the matrix, but it still might work. Monoprice is great about returns, so you could get one and try it...if it doesn't, just return for refund.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page