Using HDMI and airplay at same time. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I couldn't find the information in the manuel book.

I have the VSX-50 and I like to for example watch football and listening to the radio or airplay is there any way to get a signal to my tv, HDMI
and some other sound.

Thank's

Gabriel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 11
I'm not at all familiar with that particular receiver, but I'm guessing "no" is the answer. Most receivers I know cannot do this even high end models. Only 1 source can be active at a time...you can't separate audio and video. If you had analog connections, you could mix and match some. For example if you had an AppleTV and ran the optical audio to the same receiver input as your cable/satellite box, you could probably switch to that input and tell the receiver to use the optical instead...so it would take video from the HDMI but audio from the optical which would be your AppleTV that you could AirPlay to.

The only other option would be to add speakers to the room and set them up as Zone 2 on the receiver. So you'd play your football game to the "main zone" and then play your airplay/radio/etc on Zone 2 to hear through the extra speakers...it'd only be simple stereo.
Gab4816 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Run HDMI from your set-top box directly to the TV, and a digital audio cable (optical or coax, whatever's available at both ends) to your AVR. You'll be switching video using the TV input(s) instead of the AVR in this case, but there's no direct benefit to run a set-top through an AVR at this point. Then you'll be able to switch to an audio source on the AVR while the TV remains on the set-top's input.

And yeah, this used to be a feature of AVR's a long time ago for "FM simulcast" and other purposes, but those features were little-used, and certainly caused confusion if you got into a mode and didn't understand why...

Jeff
Gab4816 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 4 Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the information.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page