Starting from scratch... New construction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, the posts that I've read on this forum have been incredibly helpful, but I find that there are some basic questions that I can't find answers for when it comes to starting from scratch. I am building a new home and I plan on having a central location for all audio/video components. I want to be able to have audio piped into every room (with volume controls in each room), as well as routing video from bluray/satellite/cable at my discretion to any room with a monitor. Only one room will have surround sound but I want every monitor to be wall mounted with no need for components in view.

From what I've read it seems like Cat6 cable with a matrix is the way to go... But how many runs of cable to each screen for not only the audio and video, but for remote repeaters, etc.? And is Cat6 the best way to go for individual room audio, run to volume controls... and speaker wire from that point to the in-ceiling speakers?

Controlling all of this in a manner that the family can figure out is a concern as well.

Finally, what about data? Should I hardware for it or just go wireless? My budget is flexible. I don't want to spend money that I won't see a direct benefit from but I'm not asking for the cheapest solution either. Any ideas on where I should start?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 357
First up, read the Wiring your New Home wiki at Cocoontech:

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Wiring_Your_New_House_101

A matrix switch over Cat5e/cat6 is the way to go - HDBaseT is the best technology available, and your setup sounds like a good match for a matrix. Keep the surround system separate for Blu-ray, and you won't be too limited by the 'common denominator' issues of HDMI.

Whole House Audio system runs separately from video (at least, on a reasonable budget). Home run speaker wire and cat5e for keypad controls. Look at systems by NuVo and Russound in place of manual volume controls in each room.

As for Ethernet, absolutely hard wire everywhere. Wireless is great for mobile devices/tablets, but for anything that supports hard-wired Ethernet, you want to use it.

Jeff (also)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM

Liked: 13
+1 to Jautor's comments.

How are you going to control everything? With everything being located in an A/V closet, you'll need some sort of universal controller, preferrably one that works over IP to get around distance/obstructions. Take a look at iRule. It's a DIY solution, but it has tens of thousands of happy customers and a very active support community.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. The more research that I do, the more questions I have... Big surprise.

I read about HDBaseT, and like what I've read. My main concern at this point is a matrix switcher. I own a film/video production company but my familiarity with consumer video is limited. I'm used to dealing with HD-SDI, 4K and 2K video, and digital files but choosing a matrix that will work well with Bluray and satellite TV, while working well with Internet distribution leaves me a bit perplexed. The products that I've found thus far seem to do way too much (therefore having a steep price) or they don't do enough. Any recommendations on hardware that will suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

As for control, I don't want to make a firm choice until the hardware issue is resolved, and it appears that there are a lot of good options out there to choose from.

Thanks!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinejeff View Post

The products that I've found thus far seem to do way too much (therefore having a steep price) or they don't do enough. Any recommendations on hardware that will suit my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Define "too much " or "not enough"... I'm not sure what you're referring to in terms of a matrix switch. There are feature differences, but outside of the Crestron switches that have some very cool features (and a price to match), there's not a lot of "extra stuff you won't use" on them.

Jeff

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

By Too much I mean HD, SD, composite, component. I don't need any sort of SD signals. By too little I mean that it has limitations on one aspect or another, such as number of zones. I'll look at the brands you mentioned. Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinejeff View Post

By Too much I mean HD, SD, composite, component. I don't need any sort of SD signals. By too little I mean that it has limitations on one aspect or another, such as number of zones. I'll look at the brands you mentioned. Thanks for the help!

If you're looking at switches with SD, composite, etc. - you're not looking at a mainstream HDMI matrix switch. They will be HDMI-only, may have IR routing/repeating, and a few have parallel digital audio to deal with compatibility...

Monoprice on the cheap side; Atlona, Gefen, Octava in the brand-name mainstream. Atlona has a 4x4 with HDBaseT, Gefen just announced one as well. I would really have liked to see both of those incorporate Ethernet switching, since HDBaseT supports it and it would remove all concerns about consuming the one-and-only cat5e plumbed to a lot of TV locations as basic pre-wire in the last 5 years or so...

Jeff

Theater build photos:

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page