Video but NO sound when using an HDMI Splitter to split HD between two TV's - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > A/V Control & Automation > Home A/V Distribution > Video but NO sound when using an HDMI Splitter to split HD between two TV's

Home A/V Distribution

parisi2274's Avatar parisi2274
05:32 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 6
01-05-2013 | Posts: 35
Hi All,

I have a quick question about a small project I am working on.

What I was trying to do was connect an HDMI splitter to the back of my Verizon FiOS box so that I could run a 40ft HDMI cable from my den to my kitchen so that we could watch TV while eating dinner. I purchased the following items from monoprice:

So basically what I did was take the above splitter and connect it to the back of the FiOS box, then I connected the HDMI cable I had in place originally for my den and plugged it in, and was getting a nice HD signal.

Next I ran the 40ft HDMI cable from the other connector on the splitter to the TV in my kitchen and I lost picture on both TV's, so as a test I shut off the Sony TV, and just had the TV in the kitchen running, and the picture popped back up albeit a bit jumpy, but the bigger issue was that there was NO sound. I went through all the menu options to make sure I did not need to set anything for the TV to recognize that sound was coming from the HDMI cable.

What I am looking to find out is if that splitter was just not powerful enough to split the signal and send it to both TV's.

I have no issue picking up a powered HDMI splitter, so if anyone can recommend a good 2x1 splitter that is not that expensive, I would greatly appreciate it!!
jautor's Avatar jautor
06:42 PM Liked: 379
post #2 of 6
01-05-2013 | Posts: 8,308
You're asking a lot from that one output. 40' is a long HDMI run regardless. Splitting the signal with an unpowered device is not recommended. First thing to try is to get the kitchen working without the splitter in place - does it work by itself just on that long cable.

The causes could be a number of things, either poor signal getting to the remote TV, or worse, some incompatibility / conflicts when both sets are connected to the set-top box. The other thing to try is to bring the kitchen TV closeby and see if it works with a short cable (connected to your splitter). You'll need to do some investigation here to figure out what works and what doesn't.

As an alternative, I'd suggest using component video from your set-top instead for the remote TV, assuming the set-top box has simultaneous HDMI / component output (it should, and is easy to verify). Running component for the 2nd TV avoids long-haul HDMI issues as well as any TV capability mismatches (e.g. 1080p vs 720p) that could downgrade the output on your primary display.

Jeff
08:43 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 6
Jeff,

Thanks for the input...

When I was testing everything earlier, if I brought the kitchen tv closer to the source FiOS box, it was working fine. I just could not get a picture on both sets.

What I was thinking of doing was picking up something like this:

Quote:
Watch your video content on two displays at the same time using this 1x2 HDMI® Splitter from Monoprice!

This splitter features an internal amplifier, which boosts the HDMI signal and allows the transmission of High Speed HDMI signals (1080p) up to 49 feet (15 meters) using ordinary High Speed HDMI cables. The one HDMI input and two HDMI output ports are gold-plated to ensure smooth, corrosion-free connections. The splitter is powered by an included 5 VDC, 2A AC adapter.

The splitter supports High Speed HDMI signals, which means that it supports the following HDMI features:

1080p Resolution - It supports the full 1080p@60Hz HDMI resolution.
3D Video - It supports all standard HDMI 3D modes.
Deep Color - It supports deep color up to 12-bits per channel, 36-bits total.
High Definition Audio - It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

Which is an amplified splitter running off its own power source. I assume that with something like this, I'd have no issues splitting the signal from my FiOS box to two tvs (Only ONE tv will be on at a time btw...)
jautor's Avatar jautor
09:23 PM Liked: 379
post #4 of 6
That would certainly be better, but a 40' HDMI run is still a long one. At least this model talks specifically about support for long runs.

Does the kitchen TV work if it's directly connected to the FIOS box using the 40' cable without the splitter?
09:28 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

That would certainly be better, but a 40' HDMI run is still a long one. At least this model talks specifically about support for long runs.
Does the kitchen TV work if it's directly connected to the FIOS box using the 40' cable without the splitter?

yes it does. It stopped working when both tv's were connected to the splitter.
jautor's Avatar jautor
11:42 PM Liked: 379
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisi2274 View Post

yes it does. It stopped working when both tv's were connected to the splitter.

Good. Then the powered splitter definitely sounds like the right path.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Subscribe to this Thread