Switching 3D on a single TV to 2D on 3 TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, looking for an assist. I have recently finished my basement and would like to do 2 things without manually switching HDMI cables in my media closet:

1) Watch 3D movies on my 70" Sharp Aquos through the receiver in 5.1 surround
2) Watch 2D TV (football?) on 3 televisions - the same 70" Sharp Aquos, 32" 1080p (to be purchased) and a 42" 1080p tv (also to be purchased). As I think about it I need to send both video and audio over the HDMI to at least the 32" and the 42", then the 70" could use the 5.1 surround...?

I have DirecTV and an LG 3D DVD player that also can be used as a media hub.

I had purchased an HDMI splitter and planned to connect all components (DVD, DirecTV, etc) to the receiver and run from the receiver to the splitter and from the splitter to the TVs. I have since learned that the splitter will downgrade all signals to 1080p and that I will lose the ability to watch 3D on my Aquos. I do not want to buy all 3D TVs. So, I am trying to figure out a new connection strategy that will allow me to switch from 3D on my Aquos to 1080p 2D across all TVs. I DO NOT need to watch both kinds of programs at once, I only want one or the other on at any one time.

I have not purchased a receiver yet. I had been looking at the Onkyo tx-nr616 because I liked some of the features but the reviews are so bad it has caused me to step back and re-evaluate. I am in a good position to evaluate options since most everything is still open to change. The only things that are set are the Aquos, the DirecTV, the 3D DVD and my Definitive speaker set up.

Hoping some of you can suggest what equipment I will need to accomplish my goals (HDMI switch?) in the cleanest way possible and also what I need to look for in a receiver (simultaneous HDMI outs for example). I would also like to run a second zone with speakers only on the patio from the receiver using Pandora, iPod/iTunes.

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Edit: I would not be upset if I could watch a 2D DVD across all TV's... with 5.1 surround on the big one and tv speaker sound on the others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Get 2 or 3 Directv DVR's and whole home or get the other 2 set's 3D also. You can run HDMI from one switch to all the set's and if they are 3D it'l work out. Monoprice.com has a lot of gear to put this together. I have 2 3D's of one Directv box and as long as the were both 2D NO PROMBLEM then we got the 3D set for the main room and big problem. That Directv box could tell what was hocked up to and no you can't use the 3D. After trying 3 or 4 system hookups over a year and tried of pulling HDMI cables off the switch I had, a real nice one from Monoprice, I gave up and got another 3D for the family room and got a Monoprice Pro splitter that is 3D supported and now it works just like I hoped it would. the first switch was a 2X4 true matrix but some how that Directv box new it was there along with the 2D set. I do not know if Monoprice has a 3D supported matrix switch. Also use what is called high speed HDMI cable and the again Monoprice is a good sources. GOOD luck and enjoy the chase
post #3 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Either multiple DirecTV receivers, or run component video in parallel to run the other, non-3D displays. Only hitch would be late-model Blu-ray players which won't have component outputs. But if you goal is to get DirecTV on those other displays and don't need multiple sources (or want to added costs), component will do.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

I had it set up with component and worked out until the HDCP got involved. If you have an HDMI and component both plugged in at the same time to a Directv box, the signal gets cut and there is a message saying to use component. If you do not watch HBO or Showtime then that well work out. I did have a little fun with this and I still have 3 led sets on the other side of the house that I am still using just this way, 2 on component and one using HDMI.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I had it set up with component and worked out until the HDCP got involved. If you have an HDMI and component both plugged in at the same time to a Directv box, the signal gets cut and there is a message saying to use component. If you do not watch HBO or Showtime then that well work out. I did have a little fun with this and I still have 3 led sets on the other side of the house that I am still using just this way, 2 on component and one using HDMI.

Oh yeah, right... I've avoided that problem by only using component from DirecTV boxes (I don't care about 3D).

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far.

How about this....

3D blue ray - hdmi out to TV for 3D video, optical to receiver for sound.
blue ray- Component out to Receiver video and media center apps (pandora,etc), optical to receiver for sound
Directv box - Hdmi to receiver

to watch 3D blue ray - set receiver to optical only and display on tv through blue ray player hdmi
to watch everything else- use hdmi out from receiver to hdmi splitter
post #7 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't like that as you'll lose the advanced audio codec support (no DTS-MA, DD+). Another option would be to keep everything HDMI, and insert an HDMI Detective (or other EDID spoofer) between the BD player and the receiver (or the receiver and the splitter). Have it set to a 3D-capable EDID. So during 3D, your other TVs won't work, but otherwise (2D) they will...

EDIT: HDMI Detective needs to be on the display side of the splitter, and one on each of the non-3D TVs...

post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I like that! I would only be watching 3D on the one tv anyway. Where do i get an HDMI Detective? sounds like something i pay cash for cause it fell off a truck
post #9 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

I found it and did some reading on them. If I put it between the receiver and the splitter won't the splitter still pick up the two non 3D tv's connected to its outputs and prevent me from sending the 3D signal through it? Seems to me I would need 2 Detectives between the splitter and the non 3D TV's so i could fool the splitter into thinking the other TV's were also 3D.

Am I thinking about this wrong and this can really work between the receiver and the splitter?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantana77 View Post

I found it and did some reading on them. If I put it between the receiver and the splitter won't the splitter still pick up the two non 3D tv's connected to its outputs and prevent me from sending the 3D signal through it? Seems to me I would need 2 Detectives between the splitter and the non 3D TV's so i could fool the splitter into thinking the other TV's were also 3D.
Am I thinking about this wrong and this can really work between the receiver and the splitter?

No, I just came back to correct myself... Yes, you'd need one for each of the non-3D TVs...

post #11 of 14 Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Advanced Member

I checked back to see if anything new came up, and it did, the HDMI Detective. Googled it and found it's 130 bucks retail and about 90 street price. thats still 180 and the OP is yet to buy the 2 other set's for the house. It would not be much more 180 if that for the 3D set's over the 2D ones. And the less equipment the better. I watched the national championship game in 3D tonight and it looked neat but the game was not competitive.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I checked back to see if anything new came up, and it did, the HDMI Detective. Googled it and found it's 130 bucks retail and about 90 street price. thats still 180 and the OP is yet to buy the 2 other set's for the house. It would not be much more 180 if that for the 3D set's over the 2D ones. And the less equipment the better. I watched the national championship game in 3D tonight and it looked neat but the game was not competitive.

Not even 3D could have made that game worse... wink.gif

Phil's right - since you haven't bought those sets yet, you'll be better off spending the money on the displays instead of accessories to work around problems caused by cheaper sets.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I just spent some time on the line with tech support at monoprice and they advised me NOT to split the HDMI signal coming out of the AVR. I had of course planned to do this regardless of how i end handling the 3D component of this puzzle.

has this been successfully done by anyone?
post #14 of 14 Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

I have done just that, split the HDMI signal from a DirecTV DVR with there 1X2 PRO Series Powered HDMI® Splitter with 3D support (Rev. 2.0) Monoprice product ID # 7522 to get just what I want. I have a blue ray player that is 3D also and I got a switch, for get this, about 5 bucks off ebay, new from somewhere over there and have played around with it in the system, it passes 3D to the splitter to. Monoprice sells a 4x2 True Matrix High Speed HDMI® Powered Switch w/ Remote w/ 3D and x.v.Color, that would work for 3 3D sets and 2 inputs. I had the same thing with out the 3D part ( 4X2 True Matrix HDMI® Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0), and could get the 3d to work by unplugging the HDMI cable from the 2nd set and doing a reset but that gets old. I just can't believe that monoprice would tell you to not spilt it. Now as far as AVR, assuming that is a audio video receiver with HDMI pass through, I have read many times in forms that there are all kind of problems with digital handshakes between different components. I would just run a fiber optic or the RCA style digital coaxial cable from the player and the Directv box to the audio receiver, the less switching in a hdmi signal path the better I think. I well find another use for the matrix switch that I have and it would still be in use if we had not add the 3D. Like I said before enjoy the chase.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page